IGNORED

Leaking oil,

Holly

HI

Went to the Black Hills last weekend, had a blast, rain, snow and hail made for fun riding one night!

Sunday morning headed home from Custer, got as far as Rapid City when my oil light flashed at me, stopped and checked, found the whole underside from back of engine cover in oil.

Crawled underneath and saw oil dripping from a group of steel tubes, looks to be 4 of them, can't see where they come from or which one is leaking,

Can anyone help as to what is going on? This is on an 08 RSV, 90k, just getting really broke in!

Thanks

Couple questions:

Are you referring to the carb vent tubes? They are rubber but I can’t think of any steel lines there.

Did the light flash under hard acceleration? If so it’s not unusual.

With the bike standing vertical off the side stand what was the oil level in the window?

Trying to wrap my head around what’s going on. There should be no oil around there other than the airbox drain normally.

• 2 weeks later...

Report on the oil leak, after replacing the shifter shaft seal and putting it back together, started it and the oil still poured out, was coming from above the shifter shaft and running down the electrical wires under the engine, the only place you can have oil coming out on the left side is the clutch release cylinder, removed the cylinder and found the clutch release shaft seal had come out of the crankcase! So I replaced the seal and rebuilt the clutch cylinder and put it back together, bled the cylinder by pumping brake fluid from the bleeder valve to the reservoir using a new pump oil can,

No leaking now!

HI

Went to the Black Hills last weekend, had a blast, rain, snow and hail made for fun riding one night!

Sunday morning headed home from Custer, got as far as Rapid City when my oil light flashed at me, stopped and checked, found the whole underside from back of engine cover in oil.

Crawled underneath and saw oil dripping from a group of steel tubes, looks to be 4 of them, can't see where they come from or which one is leaking,

Can anyone help as to what is going on? This is on an 08 RSV, 90k, just getting really broke in!

Thanks

LEAKS ARE ALWAYS SIMPLE NEVER EASY

(1) With the Engine off

(2) Wash the area where the leak is

(3) Check fittings or for cracks in the lines ..