IGNORED

‘87 Venture 1300 brake caliper kits.

Just bought an ‘87 Venture. When I bought it they said they hey lost rear brakes on their last ride and I there was a puddle of brake fluid on the front rim they hadn’t noticed. Lever/front right caliper is good. So I was planning on rebuilding the front left and rear calipers. Can someone suggest a good source for kits? Are they the same part number for front and rear?

Thanks for the help.

I've got an 83, so not the same model. You probably can find p/n s in the technical library, great part diagrams. Congrats on the bike, parts are still relatively easy to find. A word of caution, the back / front left can be finicky to bleed the air, the highest point is in a manifold up under fairing by the steering neck. It loves to hide air up there. Most of us say, buy Made in Japan parts, not Chinese parts, always.

BrakeCrafters has a caliper rebuild kit for the 86-93 Ventures. https://www.brakecrafters.com/collections/1989-yamaha-xvz13/

Personally if you are going to rebuild the left front caliper, I would rebuild them all including the master cylinders also. And one step better would be to replace all the rubber brake lines with steel braided hoses. Here is a source from those.. http://www.buckeyeperformance.com/p04.htm

And a member, Skydoc 17 also sell the complete package for steel braided lines. https://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?139142-6-Line-First-Gen-S-S-Brake-Line-DeLink-Kit-with-Upper-and-Lower-Clutch-Lines!

The BrakeCrafter kit is nice as he supplies all the items needed to rebuild the front pair of calipers including the o-ring between the caliper halves. This allows you to take them apart and doing a better cleaning job in my opinion. I have this kit and it works out very nicely. I also replaced the rubber hoses with the steel braid lines and it makes a world of difference in the stopping of the bike.

Good luck and let us know if you have any questions.

Rick F.

Thanks for the replies. That was the same kit I had found in my search. It seems strange that the two caliper kit yet is for both front calipers instead of the front and rear calipers on the same line. But at least parts are on order now.

Thanks again.

Thanks for the replies. That was the same kit I had found in my search. It seems strange that the two caliper kit yet is for both front calipers instead of the front and rear calipers on the same line. But at least parts are on order now.

Thanks again.

Note that the Brakecrafters' seal kit for the FRONT calipers on the 1986-1993 XVZ13 include two different kits (piston sizes are different between the right caliper and left caliper, due to differing piston diameters). Since you are desiring to rebuild the left front caliper and the rear caliper, use the Brakecrafters' two caliper kit for the "front" calipers to rebuild. The seals for the REAR caliper and the seals for the RIGHT front caliper are the same.

1986-1993 XVZ Caliper Parts.jpg

Note that the Brakecrafters' seal kit for the FRONT calipers on the 1986-1993 XVZ13 include two different kits (piston sizes are different between the right caliper and left caliper, due to differing piston diameters). Since you are desiring to rebuild the left front caliper and the rear caliper, use the Brakecrafters' two caliper kit for the "front" calipers to rebuild. The seals for the REAR caliper and the seals for the RIGHT front caliper are the same.

https://www.venturerider.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=119564

Looking at that chart it would appear that my 89 Venture should have 2 piston calipers on the front but both front calipers have 4? What am I missing?