IGNORED

HD Exhaust Information

Hi all, new to the forum and new to the Royal Star's. I know this subject has been asked and talked about a lot on the forum, so I apologize, but I haven't found any recent posts that answer some of my questions.

Just picked up a 05 RSTD and was surprised by how quiet it was. My other bike is an 85 Virago XV1000, and it has aftermarket pipes, so it has a bit of bark. I have always liked a bit of sound to let cars around me know I am there. I have found that driving the RSTD I don't have the same level of confidence that cars know I am in their vicinity.

I bought the RSTD to do some touring, so I am not looking to upgrade the pipes to an obnoxious sound level. I feel like this would become fairly annoying on long rides after some time on the road. I would however like to get a bit of sound and it seems like from my research that a set of stock Harley pipes will fit the bill, and that I can swap them out without having to re-jet. So here are my questions:

1) For an 05 RSTD what years and model HD pipes should I look for? Road Kings and Ultra's seem to be the most common but what years will fit the 05?

2) Does anyone make the brackets for this conversion? I found a post from 2010 where a member makes them but not sure if this information is still valid.

3) Am I looking for stock HD clamps as well or is there a recommendation on other clamps that some one can offer?

Thanks for reading, any help you can offer would be appreciated.

1) For an 05 RSTD what years and model HD pipes should I look for? Road Kings and Ultra's seem to be the most common but what years will fit the 05?

2) Does anyone make the brackets for this conversion? I found a post from 2010 where a member makes them but not sure if this information is still valid.

3) Am I looking for stock HD clamps as well or is there a recommendation on other clamps that some one can offer?

1. Any muffler that fit an Evo or Twin Cam Harley Davidson TOURING chassis FL series bike will fit our bikes. This includes Road King, Road Glide/Tour Glide, Classic, Ultra Classic & Classic Limited. Stock mufflers will give you a little bit of rumble, I currently run take-offs from an '06 Screaming Eagle Ultra and they have a bit more bark but not crazy loud on the highway. Aftermarket mufflers from Vance, Rush, etc will work just as well. There is a time (maybe '07-'09?) where the catalysts were in the muffler, but I'm not 100% sure on years.

2. There should be design plans on the website for 2 different shaped mounting brackets (one "angled" and one "hockey stick") that can be fabricated from mild steel with a drill and a cut-off tool. Others have used a P-clamp to mount the muffler to the bottom rail of the saddlebag support. I'll PM you a link to some of the information in just a minute.

3. The clamps you'd need to mount the HD pipes to our headers: https://www.jpcycles.com/product/444-152/v-twin-manufacturing-chrome-1-3-4-muffler-clamp-set

Easiest way to do it is the 3/4" P clamp. 1/4 x20 screw/bolt will thread rite into the HD muffler the to P clamp. Its easy and faster than fabricating up the bracket. First set of these I put on mine I made up a bracket for one side, then I decided to just go the clamp route.. If you search around the web for something like HD mufflers with cats you may get some info on years. Then go to a HD OEM parts listing and get your part numbers, you will need a left and a right. If I remember right HD only put a cat in one side. But the sides have different part #.

In the years Harley was putting the catalytic converter in the muffler it was in the right side. The left was pretty much free flowing. You want to avoid those model years or do as I did.

I had a set given to me for free and the right side had the cat. I tried to remove it and ended up ruining the muffler so I bought another left side muffler on eBay for $15. So I am running with two left mufflers, made my own brackets, and bought a couple of chrome clamps on eBay.

The left muffler on the right side has a small indent for the Harley side stand but since it is down low and under the saddle bag it is not noticeable

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I found the plans for this style bracket (attached) online. It had all the measurements needed on it, so I took it to a local metal shop. They made me 2 of them from 1/4" aluminum and it only cost me about 40$ CAD. I still have to clean them up and paint them, so they are not mounted yet. I did a rough dry fit on one side and it looks like it will work without any modifications. Muffler bolt holes matched up perfectly to the Ultra Classic mufflers I picked up. Just waiting to get a new set of clamps before I can mount it up permanently.

rk_bracket.jpg