IGNORED

Fried some electrical

Been a long time since being on the forum as I have had many great trouble free years with my 2000 venture. Well my battery was too low and would not fully turn over the engine yesterday so decided to jump it and did the unthinkable and fried my electrical. I have nothing. The battery is load tested and fully charged now. I know nothing about electrical but do have a friend who can help but not even sure where to begin. The only electrical work I have done was put the speedo-healer on it after I bought the bike. Would there be a main fuse to protect the system from my bone headed mistake??? Thanks so much!

Define fried electrical.. Smoke, burn, fire? Or sizzle, snap, and no work? It could be the ignition switch? I'm sure others with experience will be along with more experience, but they will want to know more than simply, fried... Good luck, hope it's a simple cheap fix.

I think what he meant was that he connected the jumper cables to the wrong polarity which will usually burn up something. Some troubleshooting will be necessary to figure out what fried.

Yep, nothing smoked and I couldn't smell anything burning but the motorcycle battery did spark/sizzle a few seconds before I realized my mistake. After I charged the battery and had it load checked before I put it back in and have no power at all.

Just wondering if there might be a main fuse that may have saved me a bigger issue. thanks!

From https://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?103948-2nd-Gen-main-fuse-location....djh3 - "Main fuse is located left side under the side cover and behind the left floorboard. Dont just visual the fuse, check it with an OHM meter."

From Vzuden - "Pull off the left passenger foot board and the plastic cover behind it. The starter solenoid and fuse are located there."

Further from djh3 - "When you get the floorboard off and that plastic cover off the fuse is sort of hidden behind the solinoid."

From https://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?103948-2nd-Gen-main-fuse-location....djh3 - "Main fuse is located left side under the side cover and behind the left floorboard. Dont just visual the fuse, check it with an OHM meter."

From Vzuden - "Pull off the left passenger foot board and the plastic cover behind it. The starter solenoid and fuse are located there."

Further from djh3 - "When you get the floorboard off and that plastic cover off the fuse is sort of hidden behind the solinoid."

Don, thanks for this info. I certainly can start there. Would you have a hunch if the main fuse would protect the system with what I did?

Someone has to ask the dumb obvious questions.

1. Is the new battery connected the correct way?

2. Are the terminals CLEAN? Not just look clean but did you actually clean them? Both the battery and the terminal at the end of the cable. I have seen connections that look clean still have high resistance.

3. What did you jump it with?

4. Did you actually connect the jumpers backwards? When you say you "did the unthinkable", what exactly did you do?

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you all! Yes, I switched the jumper cables by accident. It ended up blowing just my main fuse. I have been out for a few weeks so was not able to get to it till today. I was very pleased that after replacing the main fuse it's running again!