IGNORED

Ear Bud, IEM

djh3

So my high dollar ear plug/buds have evidently bit the dust. I have gotten rather use to riding with ear plugs now. I wired in a 3.5mm plug so I can hear my music/SENA/phone (if needed) GPS etc thru the SENA. The oe speakers for the sena are poor to me. So I have rode with ear buds for quite awhile, but probably last 7 or so with more of hearing protection type "fitted" plugs from work that had speakers in them for radio monitoring.

Well last year or so I felt like the left was cutting in and out. Couple weeks back I got to inspecting and the insulation is basically rotted off the wires right up at mold. I tried to use that liquid tape stuff, but no good. So this led me to searching the web for "molded ear buds" then eventually something like DIY molded ear buds. It led me to IEM'm (in ear monitors) I didnt know what the heck they were talking about until I saw them. So I found a pair on Amazon that had good reviews and am going to

. All in will be about $45 I ponied up a bit more for the monitors than the el cheapos. I know quite a few folks ride with ear plugs as wind can kill ya after a long day. I made that mistake once on the Kawaski.

Interesting post. However even though I know some ride with earplugs I always felt that doing so was somewhat unsafe since it would impair your hearing while riding. As a matter of fact in Ontario it is illegal to wear double head phones or ear buds while driving as it is considered a safety issue. So I would be inclined to think the same would apply to ear plugs. :2cents:

Years back I pulled into a gas n go stop. Cop was next to me and when I pulled helmet off I just kind of popped one out. He mentioned something and I guess because I could hear him and respond he said have a good ride and left. I worry more about someone not seeing me, than me not seeing them and hearing them. I still get a start though when them crotch rockets come screaming by 2 gears lower than what they need.

Years back I pulled into a gas n go stop. Cop was next to me and when I pulled helmet off I just kind of popped one out. He mentioned something and I guess because I could hear him and respond he said have a good ride and left. I worry more about someone not seeing me, than me not seeing them and hearing them. I still get a start though when them crotch rockets come screaming by 2 gears lower than what they need.
I get your point but I would like to see or hear the guy that isn't seeing or hearing me just in case.

Let me know how those work.

My Etymotic Research buds are no longer available and I loved them for sound isolation as well as sound quality.

I did buy a pair of inexpensive custom mold ear buds... They do isolate well and are comfortable, but sound quality isn't the best. The Fuse buds are ok.

So I'm curious what these you are looking at will sound like!

TIA,

D

• 1 month later...

I have made a couple runs around here with them, no say hour rides yet. But so far I think they work well. Its not complete silence like some imagine. If its a Prius yea you dont hear it, but the ear plugs them self reduce noise by 26db if I read this stuff right. Any how I bought another batch of the mold stuff as a stand by in case I think I need to remold. I imagine the more $$ you spend on the IEM the better quality sound. I am happy so far with the ones I got for the money. My radio SUCKS, heck even the station that is a few blocks from the house is bad most days. I pod is great.