IGNORED

2nd gen relays and fuses

Back on a 2nd gen after 6 years on a first gen. Anyway, from previous experience, I know I need a relay for the air horn. My new ride has Passing lights without a relay, and I know they need a relay to prevent future ignition switch failure. I occasionally go north far enough to need my heated gloves and boot liners, and have to remember to unplug them everytime I shut the bike down to gas. I also want to add a power port with enough power to run an inflator.

On the first gen, I added an auxiliary fuse block feed through a relay triggered by an acc circuit to make sure all the add ons went dead with the key. This way one relay did it all.

I know the 2nd gen has a white aux connector near the battery that could probably be used to trigger this relay.

I know how to wire all this. My question is, has anyone done it? Where did you locate it?

I did things a tad differently. I bought the ignition by pass harness from a member here... M61A1MECH.

Steve makes a simple plug and play harness that saves the ignition switch from excess current. This harness mounts under the tank. You can ask Steve to add connections to it to power devices or ask him to build you a harness for under the seat area that will be ignition switched for additional devices...or wire your own. He may have the harness listed on this site in the member seller area.

I wired my 2 pin external plug direct to battery and it sticks out the left side under the seat. That's my charging port as well as an aux power port for tire inflator or any other high end use. On right side, behind the seat by the rear shock air port, I put in another 12 volt plug...this one a cig lighter port. For use by devices that may not have the simple 2 pin port. It's wired direct to battery as well. Both 12 volt ports have their own fuses and are hot all the time.

Forgot about my horn. Mounted that direct to battery with a relay then used the original horn wire to switch the relay. All under the seat area tucked in next to the battery.

I'm not at my bike, so can't address the white connector...and my memory of it isn't ringing any bells. So I need to stay away from that.

Hope this helps!

Edited by videoarizona
add horn

I have added two 6 gang fuse blocks to my bike and relays. One fuse block is in the front fairing/cowl, the other inside the passenger back rest (there is a hollow area in the backrest).

From the gang box in the cowl....

- I wired my gps so it is live all the time. I just make sure I don't leave the gps mounted for long periods of time with the bike shut down.

- Have a relay for the passing lights, wired as per instructions in the read only area. Active with high and low beam with waterproof switch in the back of the cowl to turn off if necessary

Coming off the fuse block in the passenger back rest I have :

- trailer powered converter - don't recall how the relay activates

- 2 Stebel airhorns (each has there own fuse and relay and controlled by horn button - pre-existing horn wires)

- USB outlet for charging devices inside the trunk (relay activated by running lights - one connection to relay tapped into running lights, other to ground)

If you go the route I did, you don't need to use the white aux connector near the battery to trigger this relay. Tying into the running lights and ground does the same thing.

Because I couldn't find a connector to plug into the white wire (and didn't want to cut off the connector if I ever found one) when I installed an Aux plug (cigarette lighter) I powered it directly to the battery and an inline fuse so it would be live all the time - so I didn't have to start the bike to inflate air mattress.

One small correction to VideoArizona’s post, I make a lot of different harnesses and will customize to suit the user, but I am not the member making the ignition bypass harness. That would be Dion DJH3 I think is his screen name. I am happy to help once you know what you want to do, I am also OK with giving out my sources for electrical hardware for those who want to do it themselves.

One small correction to VideoArizona’s post, I make a lot of different harnesses and will customize to suit the user, but I am not the member making the ignition bypass harness. That would be Dion DJH3 I think is his screen name. I am happy to help once you know what you want to do, I am also OK with giving out my sources for electrical hardware for those who want to do it themselves.

Good stuff here for me to review, Thanks guys.

I reviewed the ignition bypass threads, and came up with the following logic - The purpose of the passing lamp relay was to remove this additional load going through the ignition switch. What I did not like was that even though it was fused, there is a "hot all the time" wire running from the battery, under the tank, and through the neck into the fairing. It seems the ignition bypass relay takes ALL the lighting load off the ignition contacts and if I do that I would not need the passing lamp relay in the fairing. Is that the way you see it?

I have added two 6 gang fuse blocks to my bike and relays. One fuse block is in the front fairing/cowl, the other inside the passenger back rest (there is a hollow area in the backrest).

From the gang box in the cowl....

- I wired my gps so it is live all the time. I just make sure I don't leave the gps mounted for long periods of time with the bike shut down.

- Have a relay for the passing lights, wired as per instructions in the read only area. Active with high and low beam with waterproof switch in the back of the cowl to turn off if necessary

Coming off the fuse block in the passenger back rest I have :

- trailer powered converter - don't recall how the relay activates

- 2 Stebel airhorns (each has there own fuse and relay and controlled by horn button - pre-existing horn wires)

- USB outlet for charging devices inside the trunk (relay activated by running lights - one connection to relay tapped into running lights, other to ground)

If you go the route I did, you don't need to use the white aux connector near the battery to trigger this relay. Tying into the running lights and ground does the same thing.

Because I couldn't find a connector to plug into the white wire (and didn't want to cut off the connector if I ever found one) when I installed an Aux plug (cigarette lighter) I powered it directly to the battery and an inline fuse so it would be live all the time - so I didn't have to start the bike to inflate air mattress.

This is very similar to how I had my last 2nd gen, except it did not have passing lamps, and I wired the GPS to the 5 amp aux fuse already in the factory front cowl fuse box.

Sorry Steve, you are correct. Dion makes the ignition bypass. I've bought your stuff and his and got confused...again!

:buttkick:

:beer:

Good stuff here for me to review, Thanks guys.

I reviewed the ignition bypass threads, and came up with the following logic - The purpose of the passing lamp relay was to remove this additional load going through the ignition switch. What I did not like was that even though it was fused, there is a "hot all the time" wire running from the battery, under the tank, and through the neck into the fairing. It seems the ignition bypass relay takes ALL the lighting load off the ignition contacts and if I do that I would not need the passing lamp relay in the fairing. Is that the way you see it?

I would still use a relay for the passing lamps unless you go with LED's. Use the bypass wiring to trigger the relay but also add a switch for you to mount to turn off the passing lamps, just so you can turn them off... if desired...

I would still use a relay for the passing lamps unless you go with LED's. Use the bypass wiring to trigger the relay but also add a switch for you to mount to turn off the passing lamps, just so you can turn them off... if desired...

From my memory....one of the reasons for the manual switch is based on laws in various regions. Think in some places you can't have them on at certain times.

I know the 2nd gen has a white aux connector near the battery that could probably be used to trigger this relay.

I know how to wire all this. My question is, has anyone done it? Where did you locate it?

I have used that extra wire with the white connector (removed it) to power my passing lamp relay.

As for a power port I have added a cigarette lighter type socket with a rubber weather resistant cover to the small plastic panel near the passenger foot rest. I have done this on my last two Ventures. It has a dual purpose. My wife plug her phone in while riding with an adapter to make it USB and it will power my small air compressor I carry with me. Besides providing power I can use the same port to plug in my battery maintainer. I put it in the right side as that is closest to electric outlet in my garage. Just have to be sure to unplug it when leaving. The wiring is direct to the battery terminals with an in-line fuse