IGNORED

How do I get at this bolt??

Semi-retired

Lately, it seems I've done nothing but tighten up that row of bolts between my trunk/beerbox and my saddle bags.

After spending $13 to replace just THREE of them that actually had the nerve to loosen off completely to the point of falling out, you'd think I'd have learned to have a tube of LocTite at the ready at all times. But, some of us learn things slowly.

Here's one I haven't learned at ALL...yet.

The bolt that secures the back end of my right passenger hand-grip (see pic) is loose enough that I can wiggle the grip. (Sorry, just noticed my pic is rotated 90 deg counter-clockwise...but, you know where it is.)

Hand grip.jpg

BUT, do you think I can get a wrench on it? No way!

So here's the question: to GET a wrench on the little 10mm baby do I have to remove the trunk? Or take off the passenger seat? Or buy some long-throw open-end or swivel socket thingy???

Least work tips greatly appreciated. (It's too hot to work hard, as you know!) :-)

Seeing as you already have 14 lookers and no repliers, May I try my hand at a solution? I am not really all that familiar with a 2nd gen so am playing a bit of a guessing game here. Get your self a welder, weld a new bolt on the end of the one you are showing, and iffin you did a good enough job then tightening should be a piece of cake. You could also bring it over here, presently we have lots of leftover 1st gen parts that might make things go faster. 1st gens don't have that problem eh!

Lately, it seems I've done nothing but tighten up that row of bolts between my trunk/beerbox and my saddle bags.

After spending $13 to replace just THREE of them that actually had the nerve to loosen off completely to the point of falling out, you'd think I'd have learned to have a tube of LocTite at the ready at all times. But, some of us learn things slowly.

Here's one I haven't learned at ALL...yet.

The bolt that secures the back end of my right passenger hand-grip (see pic) is loose enough that I can wiggle the grip. (Sorry, just noticed my pic is rotated 90 deg counter-clockwise...but, you know where it is.)

https://www.venturerider.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=119425

BUT, do you think I can get a wrench on it? No way!

So here's the question: to GET a wrench on the little 10mm baby do I have to remove the trunk? Or take off the passenger seat? Or buy some long-throw open-end or swivel socket thingy???

Least work tips greatly appreciated. (It's too hot to work hard, as you know!) :-)

If I remember right I took off the back seat and used a low profile swivel head to get in there. Luckily my son who is a mechanic had stored his tool box in my garage between jobs. It's been a while since I had to do that. 5 - 6 years. also looking at that picture, is that a crack avbout 2:00 from the bolt head?

50214177186_b194a75593_b.jpg

GearWrench. This one happens to have a flex head, but a straight one will do as well. There is enough 'squish' in the passenger pad to get the sweep you need to ratchet the teeth and tighten the bolt.

These are some of the most useful tools I own. I have them in long & stubby, metric and SAE. They're somewhat expensive at retail, but BIG value if you can get them on sale. As a fellow Canuck, look for Canadian Tire to have them at 60% off about twice a year.

EDIT: I suppose this pic clearly shows that you could get on the bolt head with a plain 12-point box end wrench, but it would be a bit fiddly to place it over and over again.

Edited by SilveradoCA

I don't have that issue with my 2nd GEN. I moved my trunk back one bolt hole to give the passenger more room. You'd have to use nuts on two for the four bolts to do this.

But....if you don't want to move the trunk back, loosen the four bolts in the trunk and move the trunk back a little bit to access the handrail bolts.

Get your self a welder, weld a new bolt on the end of the one you are showing, and iffin you did a good enough job then tightening should be a piece of cake.

You funny guy, Carl!!

If I went YOUR route.....I'd be sure to post pictures of either my passenger seat or my trunk/speaker enclosure......or BOTH going up in flames! (I know YOUR tricks; you just want me to buy a new.........3-wheeler!)

Now, seriously......SilveradoCA.....a.k.a. James.......I like the way you think. i.e. I can take my pick of either fiddling and farting around with a 'standard' box wrench....or I can break open my piggy bank and buy a gear wrench to make things a LOT easier.

I'll buy that! (ANYTHING that avoids having to remove ANYTHING from the bike.......fender, trunk, seat,....simply to get at the head of a simple little 10-mil bolt!)

Thanks, buddy.

You funny guy, Carl!!

If I went YOUR route.....I'd be sure to post pictures of either my passenger seat or my trunk/speaker enclosure......or BOTH going up in flames! (I know YOUR tricks; you just want me to buy a new.........3-wheeler!)

Now, seriously......SilveradoCA.....a.k.a. James.......I like the way you think. i.e. I can take my pick of either fiddling and farting around with a 'standard' box wrench....or I can break open my piggy bank and buy a gear wrench to make things a LOT easier.

I'll buy that! (ANYTHING that avoids having to remove ANYTHING from the bike.......fender, trunk, seat,....simply to get at the head of a simple little 10-mil bolt!)

Thanks, buddy.

My pleasure, friend. It took me a long time to learn, and I'm pretty circumspect about the notion given that I'm basically a blue-collar wage slave, but I believe that sometimes what holds a fella down, preventing him from solving a problem, is the weight of his ass on his wallet.

Don't always need to send lawyers, guns AND money. Sometimes just one will do LOL.

Also, though my dad was a hot-rodder, race car driver and builder, and owned an auto shop in which I spent lots of time growing up, I consider myself only a competent mechanic, and honestly I hate turning wrenches. Anything that makes that experience easier is good by me.

I just want to add: there are 4 bona fide and different ways to solve the access problem, given by 4 different riders, right here in one thread. That's a win.

I was thinking ritchy ratchet (gearwrench) I have a few in select sizes. If you have a Harbor Freight they have a similar tool. If you dont have lok tite handy fingernail polish will do the trick.

Hey, Dion, thanks for the tip!

Who'd a thunk WIFEY'S "toolbox" would enter into it?

also looking at that picture, is that a crack avbout 2:00 from the bolt head?

Thanks for the concern, Bob, but what you're seeing is likely a scratch. This old baby IS a 2003, and I don't coddle it. (probably why so many bolts are always coming loose! 😁)

That said, sorry Yamaha, but I don't think I've ever owned another vehicle that has dropped as many bolts out of itself as this one.

• 3 weeks later...
Were you able to get at the bolt?

Easiest way....loosen the trunk and move it back one hole. Will also give your passenger a little more room. For two of the bolts you'll need nuts for them....but one time move and accomplish a lot !

Thanks, Don.

You must have heard me/seen me "wincing" at the thought of paying $100 for a set of ratchet wrenches (great 50% discount at crappy tire, but STILL 100 bucks)......just to get a 10mm for this job. (Yeah, I know, guys, the set would come in handy for dozens of other jobs........sometime.......in the future. But I'm trying to get myself into downsize mode, not "yet another-set-of-wrenches" mode.

I've got socket sets and combination wrenches coming out my ying-yang (in the garage...in the basement...and IN THE BIKE) and when we (sooner than later) make the move to the townhouse/condo, I can think of about 500 pounds of tools that are gonna be at the top of the MUST GO list.

I'll give that seat-shuffle a try.