IGNORED

FZ-09 experience? Trade offered, looking for opinions.

CaseyJ955

Hey all. I have a general question and not Venture related, but it is Yamaha.

I've been trying to sell/trade off my 09gixxer 1k. It is advertised on this very forum if pics can clarify. I've got it for sale locally and had to get past the part where everyone wants to give me a Harley (two in one case) for it. Now I've got a local fellow with a 2015 FZ-09, bone stock. It has a scuff on the engine case where it was dropped, but thats the only damage. It's newer and has IIRC 5k on the clock, but I suspect it has a bit less value in the open market.

I'm looking for opinions on how the real world fair market values might match up, I'm not giving much credibility to book values in this interesting market. The gixxer has several tasteful correct mods, someone spent some dosh on it at some point. My only motivations for making this trade is the more upright riding position and hopefully it's comfortable enough that with a seat, windscreen and tail pack I can do weekend multi-state trips. Also I need this gixxer gone! I'm absolutely in love with it and there is no logical argument to keeping it.

1. Do you folks think the values match up fairly evenly, I'm not sure myself but thinking I should ask for some boot cash on top. I know the gixxer is older but had a considerably larger MSRP, and has had some money spent on it.

2. Who has ridden/owned an FZ, what did it do well, what did it suck at? Would you buy another? Reviews are generally very positive on the FZ09. I know the internet is full of info, some contradicting, but I have a lot of trust in this community to be pretty right-on about stuff.

3. The gixxer has no practical application in the real world. This is the WRONG WRONG WRONG bike for a misanthropic rider with no patience for the general public/motoring public as it is. I am highly motivated to get this commercial-grade grin-generator out of my possession ASAP.

Of more than 25 bike trade offers so far, the FZ is the first competent, semi-practical road bike thats come up. I want the gixxer gone but I dont want to give it away. Who can chime in on an FZ09?

Thanks folks!

I guess I now own a 15 FZ-09 with 3300 on the clock. And an AM15 7.62 & multi-cal w/ a VaryXIII scope, and a minty Luger SR1911 45 in SS, and a small bit of $$. The math works out well, but...

I'm reminded of the emotional link between bike and rider, and I was unaware of how much I really connected with this GSXR in only a handful of rides. It's as if someone went deep into my significantly warped brain and pulled out a sportbike that checked every box I ever had, except all day comfort. Never have I ridden a bike crafted from pure bliss before. Heavy heart. Dammit. Suzuki sure got this one right!

Oh well, the FZ09 turns out is quite a little rocket too, and surprisingly comfortable, also the latest model bike I have ever owned. It's pretty slick and fun to ride, and has quite a bit more torque and snap than I thought it would.

Now, Just as soon as everyone takes their rolling roadblocks and trailers back home I'm going to find out how much it sucks to ride an FZ-09 to CO and probably NM from SD! :biker: (I dont really think it will suck, but I know I'm gonna feel it)

In this truly screwed up "Today's World", if trying to find/buy "The Perfect Bike"; from 'Daily Scoots to Town' to 'Touring', the FZ-09 would be high on OUR List.

We owned one, and foolishly let it go for something bigger. Wish we could remember what.~

Rgds, WRIDR

In this truly screwed up "Today's World", if trying to find/buy "The Perfect Bike"; from 'Daily Scoots to Town' to 'Touring', the FZ-09 would be high on OUR List.

We owned one, and foolishly let it go for something bigger. Wish we could remember what.~

Rgds, WRIDR

I see some sources for touring seats, luggage and wind protection. I have yet to ride it on the pavement (rally still going on), just went up and down the driveway to get a quick feel. It's tall, deceptively comfortable and at 414lbs it's quite light. I can feel that it has gobs and gobs of torque. With luggage, wind protection and a seat upgrade I see this getting some multi-state highway use. Of course it will need a pipe and tune, liking the look of the Akropovic systems. I'm really excited to get this one out on the road!

Did you do much 2-up riding/touring? How did that go?

(Subject: RE: Reply to thread 'FZ-09 experience? Trade offered, looking for opinions.')

1) ZERO Two-up stuff; in early to mid-70s bracket, that qualified as life-threatening.

2) Don't be in too much of a hurry on Seat Upgrade. Really not THAT bad. However... if bothered on longer runs, we'd suggest the not-cheap 'AirHawk?' inflatable cushion as a better/less costly option; ALSO... not just for that Bike.

3) Like many high-end Yammies, there's some top-heaviness to cope with (height-related?). As long as you're aware of it, no big deal.

4) As mentioned earlier: "Wish we hadn't let it go."

Rgds, WRIDR

(Subject: RE: Reply to thread 'FZ-09 experience? Trade offered, looking for opinions.')

1) ZERO Two-up stuff; in early to mid-70s bracket, that qualified as life-threatening.

Noted, sort of as expected. Wife only wants to ride on the Vmax anyway. I'm glad you clarified though as I've seen 2-up seats on the market I question how far such a small bike could take two people in comfort.

2) Don't be in too much of a hurry on Seat Upgrade. Really not THAT bad. However... if bothered on longer runs, we'd suggest the not-cheap 'AirHawk?' inflatable cushion as a better/less costly option; ALSO... not just for that Bike.

I've been eyeing the airhawk for a while now. I may give that one a try, depending on how things work once I find a windscreen I might want a seat to cut down and lower me out of the wind as much as possible. I like the airhawk idea though, I'm probably past due to have one.

3) Like many high-end Yammies, there's some top-heaviness to cope with (height-related?). As long as you're aware of it, no big deal.

I suspect height related, it's nice and tall but feels weightless, probably because I've been used to the Venture, which is pretty darn far from weightless haha. I have seen a gradual increase in chronic pain since I got the Venture, on a bad day there is no way I could pick up the Venture if it gets struck by a bolt of gravity.

4) As mentioned earlier: "Wish we hadn't let it go."

I have barely ridden it and I can already tell it's a hoot! I'm most surprised by how brutally uncomfortable it looks vs how comfortable it actually is. I could only reach 45-50 on my gravel driveway but that was enough to feel how well sorted it is.

Some good points here I didnt realize. I'm excited to take a weekend trip after the rally is done. I may pick up an airhawk before I do that, just in case.

I got heckled because I couldnt figure out how to start it, I had to be shown! :rotf:

Rgds, WRIDR

Thanks for chiming in and sharing your experience! :beer:

Personally Case,, I think you did awesome!! Around here the litre bike is a hard sell at best.. The smaller cc sport bikes (600 class) are very popular and easy to buy/sell/trade but the litre bikes have a fairly small following,, almost one off cultish similar to the choppers or other custom builds.. That FZ is just the opposite IMHO. When the FZ first came out and the local Yam Shop had them displayed at Muskegons big bike show there were throngs of youngen's gathered around gawking at em.. I have since seen numerous FZ's buzzing around here.

Personally I find owning/operating my own litre bike similar to having the best of the best world class roller coaster right in my backyard for my bucklist/retirement enjoyment.. The adrenaline rush of breaking 100 mph in 1st gear or feeling the front end lift off the ground when shifting into 6th at 176 mph is totally addictive BUT definitely not something you want to do over and over again hour after hour day after day.. Quite frankly,, I think the litre bike scares the crap out of most people (as it should, a person who dont respect his litre bike is a doomed biker IMHO) and, because of its needed lay down design (you ever stick your hand out into the air foil on your litre bike at 170 mph? I did,, almost ripped my arm off) many cannot stand the riding position as they typically do not ride at speeds above 150 where the litre bike design lifts the body and makes you float.. Yea,, IMHO,, you my friend did AWESOME on your deal!! ENJOY and dont forget to report your findings and get us some pics ya lop eared bike swappin varmint!! :thumbsup:

Personally Case,, I think you did awesome!! Around here the litre bike is a hard sell at best.. The smaller cc sport bikes (600 class) are very popular and easy to buy/sell/trade but the litre bikes have a fairly small following,, almost one off cultish similar to the choppers or other custom builds.. That FZ is just the opposite IMHO. When the FZ first came out and the local Yam Shop had them displayed at Muskegons big bike show there were throngs of youngen's gathered around gawking at em.. I have since seen numerous FZ's buzzing around here.

Personally I find owning/operating my own litre bike similar to having the best of the best world class roller coaster right in my backyard for my bucklist/retirement enjoyment.. The adrenaline rush of breaking 100 mph in 1st gear or feeling the front end lift off the ground when shifting into 6th at 176 mph is totally addictive BUT definitely not something you want to do over and over again hour after hour day after day.. Quite frankly,, I think the litre bike scares the crap out of most people (as it should, a person who dont respect his litre bike is a doomed biker IMHO) and, because of its needed lay down design (you ever stick your hand out into the air foil on your litre bike at 170 mph? I did,, almost ripped my arm off) many cannot stand the riding position as they typically do not ride at speeds above 150 where the litre bike design lifts the body and makes you float.. Yea,, IMHO,, you my friend did AWESOME on your deal!! ENJOY and dont forget to report your findings and get us some pics ya lop eared bike swappin varmint!! :thumbsup:

It's quite the opposite around here, 600 class and nakeds seem to be fairly affordable. That liter bike tho, it's eerie how well sorted it was. I search between here and CO, well cared for liter bikes in the price range I was are not very common, but you can get 600s without much trouble.

I did fine riding it but I must stay out of traffic. It was a riding experience to be sure, but not only how scary fast it is but how well sorted. I rode it once and used self discipline and broke not one road rule for an entire 385 loop. It was still exhilarating, the balance and raw performance of bikes like this is just amazing. The experience of the gixxer made me wonder how such a machine can be a penny less than 10k. You can sure buy a lot less bike for a lot more money. Funny thing is, it feels like a 600, so small and light, the only way you could tell it's a liter is when you start to squeeze it and 150mph comes right now and still pulling hard.

I hope I didnt beat the guy up to much on the price but the FZ did kiss the ground and has that damage, although minor I'll replace the clutch and stator covers. It's hard to explain what a sweetheart the gixxer was, damn near new condition, setup just as nicely as could be, all the right stuff. Once the kid heard it bark to life I literally saw him go weak. It hurt to see it go, still hurts, but I'm excited to see what I can do with the FZ.

Puc. I get it completely, when you said before that it's like your own personal roller coaster that is a bit of an understatement. Now that it's gone I can only think about getting another. Actually I suspect the FZ will be plenty powerful for my needs, but at some point in the future I'll make an impulse purchase, and will again have a liter bike.