IGNORED

Time to check fasteners (bolts)

XV1100SE

Supposed to rain today so last night I took the time to give the bike a wash (2nd time this year). For the first time in 10 years I noticed one of the bolts holding the trunk brace to the rear fender had backed out about 1/4". One of the benefits of washing the bike occasionally is to inspect for issues.

Went over the bike and snugged up a couple other bolts. I do periodically check the bolts on the back of the cowl and remove the chrome strip below the windscreen to check the windscreen bolts.

Just a reminder...around mid season... give your bike a once over.

Loose nuts or bolts can certainly cause unexpected drama. Back in '07 my wife and I went on a bike trip from the Orlando, FL area where we live to the Asheville, NC area with some friends. When we were cruising down the interstate a few miles from our destination in NC I saw something fall off the windshield of my '06 Vulcan 2000 and bounce somewhere under the bike. I had no idea what it was and forgot about it. A few minutes later our exit came up but when I went to let off the throttle for the off ramp it wouldn't go below 1/2 to 3/4 throttle......and at 70 mph that stop sign was coming up fast. Luckily I had the presence of mind to thumb the kill switch and coasted to a stop. So then there was an impromptu roadside investigation/repair.

Rally to Ridgecrest 2007 044.jpg

Turns out one of the cap nuts securing my windshield on came off and got stuck in the throttle linkage. Three days before we left on the trip the Kawasaki dealer had replaced my windshield under warranty because it had started cracking. I guess they were afraid to crack the replacement one so they didn't tighten the nuts enough.