IGNORED

Tying Down Bike For Trailering

uechi kid

As I posted at the beginning of the year, I bought a Rampage Lift. It works really good, and I've used it a few times. My concern is, the way Rampage suggests tying it down. They recommend soft straps around the fork clamp and ratchet straps to the tie down supports. When securing the bike this way the forks get completely compressed. It seems to me that might not be good for the forks/shocks.

I have seen an alternate method wrapping the strap around the fork just above where it bolts to the fender. This method is difficult to get the strap tension just right because the way the chock on the lift rotates forward.

I would appreciate advice on either of these methods, or another method. Thanks.

Generally, I don't like to compress the shocks when tying down the bike. Of course, not every bike gives you perfect choices. Even so, I prefer to cinch the wheels down hard, and let the rest of the weight be sprung. I think it is more secure that way. I have no idea whether compressing the shocks is bad for the shocks, but if the wheels are on a flat trailer surface, it seems to me more likely to get loose and slide that way.

OK I'm a little confused here. Happens regularly. :confused07: But are you mounting the lift in a pickup bed or a trailer??? And are you loading a 2 wheel or a trike??? IF it's a trike into a truck bed I can see an big advantage. If it's a trike into a trailer it's a waste of money.:mo money:. However on the compression issue the bike/trike front tire is already secured to the rampage when loading somehow, that should be enough since the front wheel is already in a chock configuration. I guess I need more info.??

OK I'm a little confused here. Happens regularly. :confused07: But are you mounting the lift in a pickup bed or a trailer??? And are you loading a 2 wheel or a trike??? IF it's a trike into a truck bed I can see an big advantage. If it's a trike into a trailer it's a waste of money.:mo money:. However on the compression issue the bike/trike front tire is already secured to the rampage when loading somehow, that should be enough since the front wheel is already in a chock configuration. I guess I need more info.??

This is a bike and the lift is mounted in my truck. With the Rampage, the front end needs to be strapped to the wheel chock while being pulled into the truck.

This is a bike and the lift is mounted in my truck. With the Rampage, the front end needs to be strapped to the wheel chock while being pulled into the truck.

Got it... Backing a bike out of a truck bed down a ramp would scare the hell out of me. Down a trailer gate ramp... A piece of cake...