IGNORED

Suggested bottle for emergency gas

BlueSky

I just bought a bunch of bleach that I used to spray the driveway and walkways before pressure washing the concrete to kill the mildew. And it occurred to me that one of those 2.5 qt bleach bottles might fit in the RSV saddlebags. So, I tried it and it fits with the height just barely clearing the lid. I imagine bleach bottles are pretty hardy bottles that should be reliable gas containers. Anyhow, just a thought. Use at your own risk!!!!!!

Not something I would use, not all plastics are the same. They make special containers for things like gasoline, I'm just not sure what is so special about them, but some research would be beneficial I'm sure, before I'd put myself at risk with a bleach bottle.

I believe most fuel containers are made of HDPE. Check the bottom for the recycling symbol on a gas can and then match that on your back up bottle.

Would a small 5L /1.5gal fuel can not work? At least that way you could fuel it up anywhere without grief and it should vent properly too. Gas cans are designed to take a pretty good impact without damage or bursting, can't say the same for a bleach container.

According to my googling, most gasoline cans are made of blow molded polyethylene. The bleach bottles have HDPE, high density polyethylene, molded on the bottom. So, I'm sure the material would withstand the gasoline. I'd imagine that bleach would have to have a substantial bottle for transport. But, use at your own risk. A bottle of gasoline in the saddlebag involves a certain amount of risk no matter what it's made of. I'd use one leaving an air space at the top for expansion.

I had my gas cans, real gas cans, sitting in my garage waiting to do their thing. Come time to use them I will notice the expanded condition that they are in and carefully open them to allow the expanded gases to escape. Plenty of pressure there, I think enough to blow the lid off of some other type of containers.

During a some sort of mishap where the bleach type bottle might be impacted and have a separation issue, the internal pressure would do an amazing job of blowing some very volatile substance around the area of concern, maybe ones legs or body, and in turn make things quite hot in the process. I think I would rather take other precautions so not to run out of petrol.

Just my opinion of course, but then it's my legs of body that have me thinking this way.

• 3 weeks later...

Another option (at least for those of us north of the 49th) is the small gas jug Canadian Tire sells for about 10 bucks. 5 ltr..1.25 gal..red plastic with a ratchet-lock cap and pour spout. Just like the larger gas can we all have kicking around the garage for lawnmowers and snowblowers, but small enough to fit perfectly in the side bag of a Gen 2. Been using one for a couple of years.

Another option is the MSR camp fuel bottles. They are only one liter made of aluminum so won't expand but a pair of them should be no problem to put in any saddle bag and should at least give you enough fuel to get to a gas station

https://www.msrgear.com/ca/stoves/stove-accessories/msr-fuel-bottles/msr-fuel-bottles.html

My concern would be "Does the saddlebag have enough venting to prevent a vapor buildup?"

I think @VentureFar, my brother by a different mother out on the west coast has a TON of experience with the MSR,, I am almost positive that one of the last times I saw him he pulled one out of his bikes maintenance department and teased me with it like brothers often do.. Hey Neil, your riding clothes smell funny or do you get strong whiffs or raw gas when you open that bag where you keep the xtra fuel??

I think @VentureFar, my brother by a different mother out on the west coast has a TON of experience with the MSR,, I am almost positive that one of the last times I saw him he pulled one out of his bikes maintenance department and teased me with it like brothers often do.. Hey Neil, your riding clothes smell funny or do you get strong whiffs or raw gas when you open that bag where you keep the xtra fuel??
well it definitely is something to consider but consider this also. A) the bottle seals up tight they do not vent. B) I have carried them in my backpack during many week long backcountry portaging canoe trips as well week long hiking trips on numerous occasions and never ever had a problem with fuel odour in my backpacks or my clothing. But if venting were a concern you can always make up brackets and mount them to the outside.

I think VentureFar, my brother by a different mother out on the west coast has a TON of experience with the MSR,, I am almost positive that one of the last times I saw him he pulled one out of his bikes maintenance department and teased me with it like brothers often do.. Hey Neil, your riding clothes smell funny or do you get strong whiffs or raw gas when you open that bag where you keep the xtra fuel??

My Two MSR bottles do not out gas at all. The problem of smell only happens if you overfill them and it takes a lot of time and washing to get the gas smell off the outside of the bottles.

Clothes don’t smell with clean bottles. Have had them locked inside my side bag for 7 days up to 110 degrees and no smell. If you are concerned then attached them to the outside, like one each just behind the passenger foot rests attached to crash bars.

VentureFar...

BF9BDF22-6FB2-4859-9D51-A504432EF8A7.jpeg

• 3 weeks later...
Not something I would use, not all plastics are the same. They make special containers for things like gasoline, I'm just not sure what is so special about them, but some research would be beneficial I'm sure, before I'd put myself at risk with a bleach bottle.

Man, I agree. Better safe than sorry.

• 10 months later...

I've used energade bottles successfully on multi day trips. Superb plastic and very strong caps. I would not use bleach bottles since they are usually much lower grade.. and crack/split easy. I'd wager you could kick an energade botyle down the road a few times.. trick is to fill to absolute top,  leave no room for air then it won't expand.. 

2 hours ago, CamaroMan said:

I've used energade bottles successfully on multi day trips. Superb plastic and very strong caps. I would not use bleach bottles since they are usually much lower grade.. and crack/split easy. I'd wager you could kick an energade botyle down the road a few times.. trick is to fill to absolute top,  leave no room for air then it won't expand.. 

Do NOT fill any gas bottle to the top.  When it warms, if it can't expand the pressure inside the bottle goes up dramatically and could cause rupture.  Leave an air pocket that will compress as the gas expands to keep the pressure lower.  

• Thanks 2

7 hours ago, BlueSky said:

Do NOT fill any gas bottle to the top.  When it warms, if it can't expand the pressure inside the bottle goes up dramatically and could cause rupture.  Leave an air pocket that will compress as the gas expands to keep the pressure lower.  

Very true.  As a matter of fact most fuel bottles or containers have a max fill line on them for this very reason.