IGNORED

Cutting spring coils

Marcarl

I bought a 2014 Ram 2500 with rear coil springs to pull my 5th trailer. Turns out that the truck is to high to properly level the whole unit for towing. I need to lower the truck, max I can do that is about 2inches. Looked for shorter coils, but they are not available on short notice, guess some would make them on special order but that would take about 6 months. The only solution for me at this point is to cut the coils to lower things the 2 inch that there is room for. Plan to use no heat, keep air moving over the cut as we cut with a disc.

Flipped the axle on the trailer, but that was not a good idea, looks like it's on stilts now and is too high.

Any experience to learn from? input?

I have a2001 ram 2500 and a number of years ago I was thinking the same thing.

After talking with lots of people, I put a 2" leveling kit on which raises the front and it is now level.

Not sure that will solve your problem with a 5th wheel.

I assume you know about drop hitches?

Carl you should be able to get a set of coil spring compression kit. Most auto stores sell them and any speed shop should carry them. They consist of two bolts and a muffler type clamp. You tighten the bolts and the spring compresses. Cheap and easy fix for what you want.

I have cut coil springs before in my 1970 Mustang (long time ago). It came with a 302 cu in V8 and C4 auto. I wanted it to handle better and part of what I did was to install 428 cu in V8 springs. Naturally they raised the front way too high so I removed them and cut 3/4 of one coil off with a hack saw. The hack saw easily cut through the steel used for coil springs. They aren't that hard because they have to have lots of tensile strength.

But, cutting the coils will cause the suspension to bottom out quicker. I don't know if that will be a problem in your situation.

If flipping the axle made the 5r too high, can you fabricate a block between the axle, get longer U bolts, to just raise it some? I'm on a RV Forum, and this is not uncommon, really pisses some off. Most guys just run their 5r nose high and forget about it. I would be concerned personally to lower the truck by cutting spring, It has to weigh in on the whole dynamics, and you still will have all that weight on them. Have you actually hitched up? The squat on your truck might be a more than you expect, making the tape measured values not so bad. Good Luck.