IGNORED

Gear shift spring return

Question: What provides the "spring return" on the gear shift lever?

I just replaced my engine and got it all back together. What a PITA, never wanna do that again!!! Anyway, I shift gears and the lever does not return. Its not jammed or anything, it easily moves back in place by pressing the other side of the shifter. Did I miss a spring or something when I put it back together?

Thanks in advance!

There is a spring that returns the pedal to its neutral position. It's on the shift shaft, right side of engine, under the clutch. Off hand I do not recall whether you can get to it without pulling the clutch basket.

I just found it in the service manual. Looks like theres a couple of springs behind the middle gear cover where the shift shaft connects. I just changed the oil!!!!

Does anyone know how much oil will come out if I take the middle gear cover off if I don't drain the oil first?

I just found it in the service manual. Looks like theres a couple of springs behind the middle gear cover where the shift shaft connects. I just changed the oil!!!!

Does anyone know how much oil will come out if I take the middle gear cover off if I don't drain the oil first?

Don't take off the gear shift cover. Nothing behind there is related to the shift shaft.

MiCarl is correct. The return spring is behind the clutch. You shouldn't have to drain the oil to get to it.

Phrog,, are you absolutely positive you are reading the manual correctly? I only ask,, not to :witch_brew:, but because I have rebuilt numerous motorcycle trannies (never on a V-4 Yam though) and replaced dozens of clutches (including numerous Yam V-4's) and simply do not remember ever seeing springs internally mounted in any area on the left side (shifter side) of a scoots trannie/engine internal case.. The only spring I can think of that should be behind the middle gear cover would be a large spring on the secondary trannie gear set shaft that works as a buffer.. All of the springs associated with the gear shifting drum engagement indexer and cam follower that holds the drum in check are usually mounted on the right side:rolleyes: under the clutch hub.. Also there should be a shift shaft spring mounted there,, at least on all metric bikes I have worked on this is the case.. Not saying you are wrong but it might be in your best interest to, before you pop the middle gear cover, just double check the manual and/or wait till someone else who knows exactly what they are doing chimes in...

Concerning how much oil will come out should you pop that cover,, very minimal,, maybe a couple ounces.. Matter of fact,, I had to pull a stator one time while CTFW across the country and,, as I am sure you know,, that cover has to come off to do so.. I was in no position at the time to replace oil (in the parking lot I was working in) so I laid the bike over on its right side a ways and literally drove away with the case still full after completing the project and only a couple drops of oil on the pavement..

Hope this helps!!

Puc

Don't take off the gear shift cover. Nothing behind there is related to the shift shaft.

MiCarl is correct. The return spring is behind the clutch. You shouldn't have to drain the oil to get to it.

:sign yeah that::sign yeah that::sign yeah that:

Quickdraw McGrubsie!! :You_Rock_Emoticon:

There is a spring that returns the pedal to its neutral position. It's on the shift shaft, right side of engine, under the clutch. Off hand I do not recall whether you can get to it without pulling the clutch basket.

Thank you! You sir are the man! Your memory is much better and more clear than the stupid service manual is. Looking at the shift shaft section, it CLEARLY says LEFT side of the engine to remove covers, then you turn the page and it magically jumps to the other side and shows drawings of the RIGHT side. Had you not said under the clutch (right side), I would have driven myself nuts trying to make the manual's drawing of the right side somehow match up to the left side.

Thanks again!!!

Thanks MiCarl Grubsie and Puc!!!! This is why I love this forum! You guys have seen it all with these bikes. And your memory is a whole lot better than mine!

Hopefully I can finish her up today and get her back on the road. It's been WAY too long since she's been out. :fingers-crossed-emo

Question: What provides the "spring return" on the gear shift lever?

I just replaced my engine and got it all back together. What a PITA, never wanna do that again!!! Anyway, I shift gears and the lever does not return. Its not jammed or anything, it easily moves back in place by pressing the other side of the shifter. Did I miss a spring or something when I put it back together?

Thanks in advance!

Here's my warped thinking...for what it's worth. The return lever pressure comes from the clutch pressure plate. It applies pressure to the slave, which in turn applies pressure to the hydraulic in the master, which in turn pushes back on the lever. When the lever is static there will always be a bit of play and literally zero pressure in the clutch system. My 2¢

Here's a pic of the shifter. The return spring (circled) fits over a pin near the clutch. Very easy to miss getting this spring on the pin if you have never done it before.

I got to it and the springs were actually in place and good. When I got the clutch cover off, the shifter worked normally. Re-installed and it was working until I tightened the clutch cover. And the end of the shift shaft has friction marks from rubbing on the cover. (pictured) Doesn't seem to be bent/warped. Just too long.

20200731_144552_resized.jpg

Just out of curiosity, are you using a gasket for the clutch cover? If not and just using sealant may cause the cover to get too close to the engine thereby too tight against the end of the shaft. It may need that gasket for a gap.

I got to it and the springs were actually in place and good. When I got the clutch cover off, the shifter worked normally. Re-installed and it was working until I tightened the clutch cover. And the end of the shift shaft has friction marks from rubbing on the cover. (pictured) Doesn't seem to be bent/warped. Just too long.

I wonder if you have the right cover on the clutch?? a 1200 cover isn't as deep as the 1300

Just out of curiosity, are you using a gasket for the clutch cover? If not and just using sealant may cause the cover to get too close to the engine thereby too tight against the end of the shaft. It may need that gasket for a gap.

Yes I'm using a gasket... I actually contemplated doubling up with the old and new gasket to give it just a hair more room, but I ripped the old one pulling it off.

I wonder if you have the right cover on the clutch?? a 1200 cover isn't as deep as the 1300

Yes, I'm using a 1300 cover, off of my original engine.

All of this started because I replaced my engine, so I have spare parts. Chrome on the other cover is corroded, but I'll try it. I can also try swapping out the shift shaft.... Maybe it's just a missing washer or something.

• 3 weeks later...

Has anyone ever run into shift shaft friction on the clutch cover causing no spring return on the shifter?

I got everything working and no leaks. :dancefool:I ended up just buying another gasket and using 2. Gave it just enough room for movement and allowed me to tighten the clutch cover with no leaks. Maybe it's not the right answer, but it works and for a $10 fix, and only 30 min of install (yeah, I had to loosen the right side pipe to get to the bottom hex bolts)

Any potential problems that I'm not thinking of?:fingers-crossed-emo

Shaft friction could be caused by a washer/shim on the shaft behind the part that holds the spring. That would cause the whole unit to extend too far outwards towards the outer clutch cover.

If there is a shim or washer on that side, your better off doing the double gasket instead of removing the clutch and the gear shift linkage on the the other side.

I would just monitor for leaks for a while.

shift.jpg

Shaft friction could be caused by a washer/shim on the shaft behind the part that holds the spring. That would cause the whole unit to extend too far outwards towards the outer clutch cover.

If there is a shim or washer on that side, your better off doing the double gasket instead of removing the clutch and the gear shift linkage on the the other side.

I would just monitor for leaks for a while.

Thanks! Thats kinda what I was thinking. I really didn't wanna tear into anything if I didn't have to. I'm just happy to be riding again!!! BTW, its amazing that you just happen to have a shift shaft laying around to take and show pics of!!! Thanks!