IGNORED

Is this a fair price? 87 VR

Seems a bit steep to me, but it's hard to say without seeing it in person. I picked up an '86 in extremely good condition with about 23000 miles on the clock for $2300.00. It had been sitting in a garage for for quite a long time but needed nothing but a battery to be road worthy. Granted, the head cover gaskets seep just a tiny bit.

I also got extremely lucky with an '06 RSV with about 4 times the miles but also very well maintained for the same $.

I would definitely want to see it in person and take a test run. Not sure I could justify $3900.00 unless it is truly immaculate though.

I agree, seems a little high even to me. I paid $3500 for my 89 Venture Royale 12 years ago after it had been sitting for a while. At the time it had 32K on the clock and needed tires and a good tune up.

Just my opinion but I would offer him a lower price as the Venture goes for less than the Goldwings of the same year.

Rick F.

I think it is steep as well.

There is a great guy on this forum, videoarizona that has a nice one for sale in our classifieds. https://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?143385-1989-1st-Gen-For-sale

Probably cost you $700 to ship to yourself, and based on his posts over the years, he keeps his stuff well maintained.

note: I'm not connect to this in any way, and is just my opinion.

That price does seem too high. But, when you are buying old cars and bikes, the condition of the unit means a lot. It's worth it to pay more for a bike in beautiful condition ready to ride. At least one member of this forum bought an 83 cheap and then spent about $5,000 before getting everything repaired so it was a reliable ride. I think he was pleased with the final result.

Motorsports sales were tough before the Chinavirus, he would have had to halve the price a year ago, now it's likely he will end up keeping it.

Since he's starting at 4k he's VERY VERY lofty, especially for the times. I would pass on that one. I'm asking half that for mine and it comes with several upgrades and a pair of Vmax heads/cams. When I notice them around I usually see decent ones for around 2k or less, rarely more.

Whatever you decide, good luck with your search, the right one at the right price will present I'm sure.

Motorsports sales were tough before the Chinavirus, he would have had to halve the price a year ago, now it's likely he will end up keeping it.

Since he's starting at 4k he's VERY VERY lofty, especially for the times. I would pass on that one. I'm asking half that for mine and it comes with several upgrades and a pair of Vmax heads/cams. When I notice them around I usually see decent ones for around 2k or less, rarely more.

Whatever you decide, good luck with your search, the right one at the right price will present I'm sure.

100% :sign yeah that::sign yeah that:

In my neck of the woods,, and in several other U.S. locations that I am very familiar with bike values in,, that scoot would be a $1500 bike average retail before the CCP Virus hit,, no idea now adays but would definitely say that value has followed all the rest of the industry (HD,, old saying in the buy/sell world of motorcycles that I lived by when pricing my bikes at the dealership = as HD goes,, the entire market follows) and has also dropped some.. Keep in mind that also pre virus,, the 2nd Gens were 3 grand for a decent one.. Also note the thread that Grubsie posted with the ad for the new 27000 dollar Yamaha Venture that Logan was selling for 12 grand and note the bike did not sell on our site!! That was a brand new scoot whose value was cut in more than 1/2 and it still did not sell here in the club and we have the strongest Venture backing of anywhere in the world..

On the other hand though,,, value truly is in the eye of the beholder.. If that bike is/were something special to you, like its exactly the bike your looking for to fulfill a bucklist need (I get that) or it has some deep emotional tie (I get that too - I have side covers on my current 1st Gen that I have put over 1 million miles on by transferring them over my 6 bikes and they are not for sale) than I say GO FOR IT!!

After you buy it,, come on here with all kinds of pictures of you and your new bike,, brag it up,,, make videos,, seize the day not the chain saw I always say.. I really do!! :big-grin-emoticon:

You can always put a high price and hope for a sucker. When I sold my 88 last year it went for 1200, with new tires and a bunch of upgrades and was ready to head out on the road anywhere. This one has at least 6 year old tires, maybe a lot older cuz sometimes a "new" tire is already 3 to 5 years old sitting on the dealers shelf, that means that no matter how good they look they need to be replaced. It also means that in the 6 years he owned it it has been ridden very little, If the carb rebuild was done more than 6 months ago it likely will need to be redone.

There are also no pics of the right side of the bike. I dont know why but it is very rare to find a 1st gen that does not have damage on the right side from falling over.

It is certainly worth looking into as it does look clean, but only if there is some big room to work on that price.