IGNORED

1999 Royal Star Venture No Power

I wanted to go for a ride last week and when I turned the key there was no power. The battery tested good, I did the test on the ignition switch and there is continuity in the switch. There is power going to the ignition switch. I checked the 30 amp fuse and all is good. I read on the form that the starter relay can get corroded and fail. I cleaned all connections on the relay yet still no power. Any suggestions

Hello from Kitchener !

What lights come on the dash? Headlight come on?

If everything powers on (radio?) ...dumb question...check the kill switch on the handlebars?

One other thing that can cause no starting is issue with the kickstand switch. There is a test for this on the forum.

If you aren't getting any power at all...check the fuses in the lower cowls?

If everything powers up but the starter doesn't activate...are you getting power there?

Afternoon All:

When I say no power I mean it. If I slowly turn the ignition switch I get a flick of light in one of my marker lights, that’s it. I tested the ignition switch as per the form and saw all the ways to by-pass it, I believe the ignition switch is good, I’ve had one of them fail in the past. I believe it is the starter relay or a bad ground. 30 amp fuse also good. Also battery load tested and passed with flying colours

They have like 2 positions. An acc and a run. The contacts can get arc and then dont make good contact. There is a thread here in the 2nd gen fix on how to take it apart and clean the contacts. I make a relay that by pass the high amps from the switch. But figure out what you got going first. So you have no lights at all? Try switching the kill switch on and off a few times and may clean contacts. If you decide to take that switch apart be advised there are some tiny springs in there.