IGNORED

can get it started but stalls

Uthred

Ok I was out for a ride on Tuesday of this week and everything seemed ok I went out to start it today which is Friday. I can only start it and keep it going with the choke on, I can get it to rev but as soon as I back the choke off and let go of the throttle she dies. Help!!:bang head:

Since it ran fine a few days ago, I don't think it would be plugged carb jets? I would suspect an ignition failure of some sort.

Except he does say it runs with the choke on so I would assume he has spark therefore I would be inclined to agree on plugged jets or sticking sliders.

Except he does say it runs with the choke on so I would assume he has spark therefore I would be inclined to agree on plugged jets or sticking sliders.

Based on my limited experience with my 89, when the spark was weak, it ran better on a rich mixture, but I'm just wild guessing here! My advice is probably worth what I'm getting paid for it! :banana:

SHOT GUN METHOD

Its from the Vmax site but it applies to the Venture as well.

https://vmax.lvlhead.com/tips/shotgun.htm

I've done this a time or two on the Vmax, it often works, sometimes not. On the Vmax the carbs can be pulled in about 15 min, on the Venture it's a bit more of a knuckle buster so we'll hope the Shotgun method works. The ride-ability symptoms match plugged jets pretty nicely.

As your doing the Shotgun method please note that any time the airbox lid or filter is NOT securely in place it will run like ****, this is normal with the CV carbs as they rely on the intake restriction to run correctly.

This wont help you right now but one way to avoid problems with carbs is to avidly avoid ethanol tainted fuels. When I must use it it seems okay if I'm touring and I ride every day, but I do use a couple oz of Seafoam with each tank and before I park it for any length of time (esp over winter) I make sure and run enough pure gasoline through it to flush the ethanol from the fuel system. By following this I've not had to futz with the carbs in a long while, other than synchronizing 1-2 times a season just to keep it crisp and snappy.

I hope the shotgun works, keep us posted.

I've done this a time or two on the Vmax, it often works, sometimes not. On the Vmax the carbs can be pulled in about 15 min, on the Venture it's a bit more of a knuckle buster
You left out the part about it being a one handed job.......the other hand being busy pulling your hair out as you are removing the carb.

Because of the ethanol I will run almost empty at the end of the season and then run and keep my tank full of super before storing away bike. You have to go on line and check but many fuel stations have no ethanol in their high octane gas. Link below.

https://www.pure-gas.org/index.jsp

AT THE BOTTOM OF THE PAGE IS A PINK SECTION WITH INITALS : Click on the initials that represent your state or province.

It may not be 100% accurate but its close to being right for the most part

Edited by saddlebum

I am using premium gas from Shell, Esso and Canadian tire. For the extra $2 bucks on a fill I was hoping it would be worth it, well ........maybe after a carb cleaning.:cool10:

From what I've read the refineries put their gasoline in the same pipeline and get an equivalent amount out at the destination. The gasoline taken out could have been refined by any other company using the pipeline. Then they add their own additive package. So, is it worth it to pay extra for brand name gasoline? If we put seafoam or techron or gumout with pea in the our own gasoline, probably not. :2cents:

I am using premium gas from Shell, Esso and Canadian tire. For the extra $2 bucks on a fill I was hoping it would be worth it, well ........maybe after a carb cleaning.:cool10:
During the riding season I would not spend the extra money on premium gas. I find these bikes actually run better on regular anyway I know mine does. But when storing the bike for winter, then I look for alcohol free gas and even then I wonder if its worth it as Seafoam or any other good quality gas stabilizer is usually pretty effective. The main concern with alcohol in the gas, is that it absorbs water. During the riding season your burning off enough fuel that there is no significant water build up in the tank. But when sitting during the winter, warm and cold cycles cause condensation in the the tank and the emptier your tank is the more air space you have hence more condensation and so you should always store with a full tank and some sort of stabilizer in the fuel. After adding stabilizer to the fuel I run the bike for a bit to get the treated gas into the carb then top up the tank. On the other hand some will close the fuel valve and drain or run their carbs dry. In my case the petcock is seized and the drain plugs are PITA to get to. I have this particular bike since 2006 and so far the worst after storage issue I have had is waking the old girl up. For the first few miles she will be a bit sluggish until she has had a few good highway miles under her skirt. Edited by saddlebum

It's worth it!

few things suck more than getting the bike out and getting all geared up only to find you can barely keep it running w/o choke. When I'm in charge of the world corn will return as a delectable side dish and sweet petroleum/dinosaur bones will continue to be fuel, at least until we arrive at a place where electricity makes sense.

If you do end up having to buy carb parts, go for K&L or OEM, seriously skip the unbranded stuff or you will end up with a lot more carb R&R experience than you want. If your looking to tour in comfort this one should make the initial hassle worthwhile.

This is a handy reference you do pull the rack, it's for the Vmax but it's the same spec and adjustment.

http://www.factorypro.com/Prod_Pages/prody11.html