IGNORED

Use of terms

As a relative newbie to Venturerider, having some difficulty with terms used by members in general. There is alot of information but unless terms used are unilateral, difficult to determine relevance. Can someone define the following terms, used consistently?

1st Generation (1stGen)??

2nd Generation (2ndGen)??

Passing Lights (vs Driving Lights)??

1st Gen Bikes are those from ~1983 - 1993

2nd Gen bike ~1996 - 2013

I believe the passing lights are the 2 lights on either side of the headlight on the Gen 2s. Someone correct me if I'm wrong

Click on the history tab to see a history of the line.

1st Gen. refers to the original Yamaha Venture made from 1983 to 1993 and is also broken down further to MK1('83-'85) and MK2('86-'93) These are a more traditional Touring styled bike along the lines of the Honda Gold Wing

2nd Gen refers to the more American Cruiser styled Ventures produced from 1999-2013 and includes the Royal Star Venture and the Tour Deluxe

Both have the water cooled V4 engine that also, in a modified version powers the Vmax power sport bike.

In my mind, passing lights and driving lights are the same equipment but can be wired differently. I.e., only on with low beams or always on, etc.

Guest divey
As a relative newbie to Venturerider, having some difficulty with terms used by members in general. There is alot of information but unless terms used are unilateral, difficult to determine relevance. Can someone define the following terms, used consistently?

1st Generation (1stGen)??

2nd Generation (2ndGen)??

Passing Lights (vs Driving Lights)??

And don’t ever be afraid to ask a question. This is a very helpful bunch and I can assure you, most of us have been in your shoes at one time or another, trying to figure out what someone is talking about when they use a term.

And don’t ever be afraid to ask a question. This is a very helpful bunch and I can assure you, most of us have been in your shoes at one time or another, trying to figure out what someone is talking about when they use a term.

True that! I’ve only even heard of a Venture since April 😁 and have had a blast in my garage these past few months.

Thanks to all who responded! I have a 92 Venture Royale, thereby making it 1st Generation MK2 I guess.

Finding previous owner(s) have spliced into wiring causing issues with RLU and red fault light and headlight fault. It also has an amber light on the rront fender spliced into the signal circuit.

These are not pleasant systems to find electrical faults. Very time consuming and frustrating.

To date, I've not even had it on the road where it needs to be given are very short riding season here.

If you have electrical issues, best to start with the basics, battery fully charged, clamps clean and well united with the cables the the grounds, one on the right side of the engine, one under the left faring up near the top, and one under the seat/trunk area. Once those are all clean and well attached it's much easier to trace the gremlins.

If you have electrical issues, best to start with the basics, battery fully charged, clamps clean and well united with the cables the the grounds, one on the right side of the engine, one under the left faring up near the top, and one under the seat/trunk area. Once those are all clean and well attached it's much easier to trace the gremlins.

Found the right side engine ground, cleaned with die grinder wire wheel on engine and ring. Can't seem to find the other 2. Are they frame grounds with multiple wires?

Found the right side engine ground, cleaned with die grinder wire wheel on engine and ring. Can't seem to find the other 2. Are they frame grounds with multiple wires?

The chassis ground is on the left coil rack mounting bolt.

I am not aware of a chassis ground under the trunk.

Chassis Ground at coil rack (Large).jpg

Passing lights and driving lights are the same versus fog lights. Passing / driving lights are more along the lines of high beams and in some states and provinces have to be wired so they can only be turned on during high beam operation. The term passing light comes from the fact that some people flash their high beams or driving lights to let another driver know they tend to pass. On the other hand fog lights have a narrow horizontal beam designed to allow you to see the road without glare back from rain or fog. These are usually tied in with the low beams so they can only be turned on while the low beams are on, because in some states and provinces it is illegal to drive with only the fog lights on. You will often see were a vehicle has both driving lights and fog lights , the driving lights switch on and off with the high beams if the driving light switch is in the on position and the fog lights will switch on and off with the low beams if the fog light switch is in the on position. As stated earlier, in some states and provinces it is a legal requirement that the lights be wired up to function in this manner.. However having said that Motorcycles don't seem to have to adhere to this requirement the way other vehicles do, though I would imagine if an officer in one of these jurisdictions really wanted to lay charges he probably could.

Edited by saddlebum

Thanks to all who responded! I have a 92 Venture Royale, thereby making it 1st Generation MK2 I guess.

Finding previous owner(s) have spliced into wiring causing issues with RLU and red fault light and headlight fault. It also has an amber light on the rront fender spliced into the signal circuit.

These are not pleasant systems to find electrical faults. Very time consuming and frustrating.

To date, I've not even had it on the road where it needs to be given are very short riding season here.

Based on some wiring jobs I have seen over the years its sometimes better to just chop the whole mess out and rewire from scratch. Some people really do create birds nests with their wiring technique's and its just plain simpler to start over with a clean slate than to try to decipher what they were thinking at the time.