IGNORED

2007 RSV overheating

just throwing stuff at the wall:banana:

I'd start by checking the fan switch. If the over heat indicator came on but the fan wasn't running, it's either the switch or the fan itself.

Of course it is possible that the water pump is shot. You did say that it was low on coolant. Water pumps typically leak when they go bad. That would not account for the fan not running though.

What do you mean by 'tried a restart and nothing'.

It is normal for all the lights to come one when the key is turned on. They go out when start button is pressed.

The fuel pump can fail when hot. When bike cools down the pump will start working and bike will start.

We really need more info.

How many miles on machine? Will it start now?

just throwing stuff at the wall:banana:

I'd start by checking the fan switch. If the over heat indicator came on but the fan wasn't running, it's either the switch or the fan itself.

Of course it is possible that the water pump is shot. You did say that it was low on coolant. Water pumps typically leak when they go bad. That would not account for the fan not running though.

Thanks for the reply. As you can tell new to this bike. The fan does run when hot It just wasn't when he pulled in. Meaning, I would think, that it was operator error not realizing the lowering of the kick stand in

gear kills the engine (My son knows even less about the bike ) Talking to him about it, I think what he had happen was bike in gear and not realizing it. Somewhat of a false alarm. Thanks for your thoughts

though. I really appreciate it

What do you mean by 'tried a restart and nothing'.

It is normal for all the lights to come one when the key is turned on. They go out when start button is pressed.

The fuel pump can fail when hot. When bike cools down the pump will start working and bike will start.

We really need more info.

How many miles on machine? Will it start now?

The bike starts and is running fine. I was just concerned as it is used and I don't know entire history. He started it after about a 10 minute wait and rode it about 10 miles to my home without incident.

Thanks for the reply. As you can tell new to this bike. The fan does run when hot It just wasn't when he pulled in. Meaning, I would think, that it was operator error not realizing the lowering of the kick stand in gear kills the engine (My son knows even less about the bike ) Talking to him about it, I think what he had happen was bike in gear and not realizing it. Somewhat of a false alarm. Thanks for your thoughts though. I really appreciate it

Just because I'd check to see if you're getting coolant in your oil. My '07RSV lost the water pump seal and overheated on a Venture West ride in Yreka Ca. It was running a little warm in the AM but coming back to the motel in 112 temp it got so hot I had to slide back on the passenger saddle to survive. Dropped the kick stand in the motel parking lot and it barfed coolant all over... And I was super thankfull that I had trailered it up there. It would had been a PITA getting it back to the barn. What I found was a radiator full of engine oil and it was plugging up the system and another PITA getting the stuff flushed out. It could have been worse if the coolant had gotten into the engine...