IGNORED

First time I am saying " this is a must have" for your bike or your whole stable.

VentureFar

Hi all.

I am always searching for motorcycle products to review and I came across an awesome one.

Take that "emergency" $100 bill out of your wallet and get ready to use it.

Even my brother @cowpuc isn't fond of laying down on his back to check the tire pressure on Tweeks.

I know I don't look forward to doing it, especially if I have 'nice' clothes on.

This is a bluetooth remote tire pressure monitoring system where you see your tire pressure on your phone. Of course you get warnings of leaks, but the real value in my estimation is the weekly check before your Saturday ride or the concern while on the road that some punk let some air out of your tires at the motel....

I hope this is a good read for you.

https://ultimatemotorcycling.com/2020/07/21/fobo-bike-2-review-motorcycle-tire-pressure-monitoring-system/

VentureFar...

• Like 1

Neil,

Does the device need to be removed to add/remove air from the tire?

Are the batteries unusual or readily available?

Battery is cr1632 readily available, and extra set comes in the box. The app shows you the battery life.

Yes theyhave to be removed to add air but screw in just like the plastic dust cap if you are not using the locking nuts. Just unscrew the “cap” like normal and when done then replace.

the T valve is a nice thing because you leave the unit screwed on and use the T off to fill the tire. But you need to make sure you have enough physical space for the T to work.

I don’t see a reason go to the extra hassle of installing the T valve. You will be be checking your tire pressure from your phone from now on and maybe once a month or two months will you need to unscrew the unit off. And like I said it is just like the plastic cap you have now.

you can see the T on the my-FOBO.com website under accessories

remember to set the UPPER limit to the rating on the side wall. I first set mine too low and got an earful on the freeway about 15 minute in when the rear heated and gained 7#.

so I have them set now as 33 low. Optimum 36 and high 44.

It appears that the tires has to be removed to install these. Am I correct?

And luvmy40. What T Fittings are you talking about?

No. You do not need to remove the tire to install them. Just the plastic valve stem cap. That’s all.

they suggest that you have METAL valve stems and actually put two in the box. But not required.

VentureFar...

• Like 1

Just spent the last half hour reading thru the FOBO info. Looks to be a fairly well thought out setup. The "manual" is very clear and easy to follow, and installation looks to be as simple as threading on new valve caps and following the phone prompts. I don't normally get too fired up about on-line "you need this in your life" stuff, but this seems to be a good place to spend a bit of my retirement fund, so I ordered a set.

I am making an assumption on the "T" valves, in that they look to be needed if you are running rubber stems, or are installing new shoes and are going to put new valves in anyway. Nice idea having one leg of the "T" as an air fill point. I've got steel stems so I'll find out when the package arrives if I should have ordered the "T"s.

I've had RideOn Tire Sealant in both tires for a couple of months and so far have seen a drop of only 2 pounds per tire...possibly from the daily pressure check before each ride, so I'm not worried about the occasional time I would have to pull the sensors off to add air, since having the sensors on means my daily pressure check is now on my phone. Plus, RideOn will balance out the slight weight of the sensors. Under 8 grams..just slightly more than most credit cards.

As is often said...time will tell.

Cheers....

Papa Fred

Just spent the last half hour reading thru the FOBO info. Looks to be a fairly well thought out setup. The "manual" is very clear and easy to follow, and installation looks to be as simple as threading on new valve caps and following the phone prompts. I don't normally get too fired up about on-line "you need this in your life" stuff, but this seems to be a good place to spend a bit of my retirement fund, so I ordered a set.

I am making an assumption on the "T" valves, in that they look to be needed if you are running rubber stems, or are installing new shoes and are going to put new valves in anyway. Nice idea having one leg of the "T" as an air fill point. I've got steel stems so I'll find out when the package arrives if I should have ordered the "T"s.

I've had RideOn Tire Sealant in both tires for a couple of months and so far have seen a drop of only 2 pounds per tire...possibly from the daily pressure check before each ride, so I'm not worried about the occasional time I would have to pull the sensors off to add air, since having the sensors on means my daily pressure check is now on my phone. Plus, RideOn will balance out the slight weight of the sensors. Under 8 grams..just slightly more than most credit cards.

As is often said...time will tell.

Cheers....

Papa Fred

It appears that the tires has to be removed to install these. Am I correct?

And luvmy40. What T Fittings are you talking about?

If you look in the accessories section, there are two different styles of T fitting. One is installed in place of your valve stem and the other just screws onto your existing valve stem. I ordered the ones that screw on.

I put angled valve stems on The beast to make checking and filling easier. I am going to try these Ts on the '06. They look to be about an 1-1/2" long with a side stem, so you mount the TPS sensor on the top leg and fill through the side leg, 90 deg. opposed from the standard stem.

Since you are actually going to “touch” your valve stem once a month or less now, fully knowing what you pressure is, I don’t see a need for the extra convenience of the T valve stem. But that’s just me.

The screw in process is obviously simple. But when you do the first installation FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS EXACTLY.

They are Bluetooth and will “compete” to be read by the install app. So put the first one on the FRONT. There is no front or rear unit identified until you register one or the other in the app. Follow the instructions. Then when the front is showing on the app then screw in the rear and install it. You have to “touch” the unit with your phone in the app install process . Don’t have the other unit in your big mitt at the same time Since both will be touching the phone. Keep the second unit on your work bench or several feet away.

like I said, this thing works and works well. It will keep you off your back/ knees until needed to be.

Enjoy the new free time :-)

VentureFar...

I've been running these since 2015 and have loved them. The set I have is the first generation which is no longer available, I have not felt the need to upgrade to the new FOBO Bike 2. The battery life leaves a little to be desired, I change them in the spring, and then again halfway through the riding season, but other than that I think this is excellent technology and a great investment for the price.

• Like 1

I've been running these since 2015 and have loved them. The set I have is the first generation which is no longer available, I have not felt the need to upgrade to the new FOBO Bike 2. The battery life leaves a little to be desired, I change them in the spring, and then again halfway through the riding season, but other than that I think this is excellent technology and a great investment for the price.

I have only had them for a few weeks but I am already seeing the benefits.

thanks for the reply

VentureFar...

I notice it states that it is Dust and waterproofing: IEC 60529 compliant but does not state to what degree of IP standard it measures up to. For example is the unit only water spray resistant or is it water proof in standing water or high pressure water spray. It would really suck if after spending all that money that you discover water got into the electronic portion and ruined it.

Also what kind of permissions does the APP require. I find some APPS like the one for my BBQ temp monitor wants access to everything on my phone. Just to measure my meat Temp? Needless to say I do not use the APP, its not that hard to get up and walk over to my BBQ.

Edited by saddlebum

I notice it states that it is Dust and waterproofing: IEC 60529 compliant but does not state to what degree of IP standard it measures up to. For example is the unit only water spray resistant or is it water proof in standing water or high pressure water spray. It would really suck if after spending all that money that you discover water got into the electronic portion and ruined it.

Also what kind of permissions does the APP require. I find some APPS like the one for my BBQ temp monitor wants access to everything on my phone. Just to measure my meat Temp? Needless to say I do not use the APP, its not that hard to get up and walk over to my BBQ.

Hi Good catch. The editor didn't finish the compliant.... to IP57(sensor)

it is waterproof. I asked him to finish that line in the specs

This is what it asked for to give you immediate alerts:

on the iPhone, background refresh must be on as well as locations services on Always for the FOBO Bike 2 app. The Android smartphone must have Android Service running, ...

I use an iphone and turn off location services ALWAYS and BACKGROUND app refresh when I am not on the bike as they do use battery power. When I am going for a ride I turn those on to get ALERTS.

If you don't care about low or high pressure alerts while riding then location and backgroud refresh can be off.

As I said earlier, just not having to lay on my back to check the rear pressure and not have to get down my my rickety knees for the front pressure are worth the admission price.

Good questions.

VentureFar...

I like the idea of a TPMS for my bike but have three issues with this system:

1. non-metal stems. My current ride has spoked wheels, and consequently tubes in the tires. FOBO does not recommend rubber stems.

2. Location services on. The only apps on my iPhone that can track my location are ones that I deem should have them. All others are off. The reason (altitude adjustment) just seems a little overkill to me.

3. Automatic updates on. I update apps when I want to, using Wifi, not whenever the app decides it needs a new version. This updates are mainly to change the ads anyway.

These concerns may keep me from purchasing this product, maybe some other company has a different setup?

My:2cents:

I like the idea of a TPMS for my bike but have three issues with this system:

1. non-metal stems. My current ride has spoked wheels, and consequently tubes in the tires. FOBO does not recommend rubber stems.

2. Location services on. The only apps on my iPhone that can track my location are ones that I deem should have them. All others are off. The reason (altitude adjustment) just seems a little overkill to me.

3. Automatic updates on. I update apps when I want to, using Wifi, not whenever the app decides it needs a new version. This updates are mainly to change the ads anyway.

These concerns may keep me from purchasing this product, maybe some other company has a different setup?

My:2cents:

Hu gmarshall.

rememebr I don’t have stock in FOBO but I will share with you the knowledge gained during my testing and many emails with an engineer at the company.

1 they don’t recommend rubber stems because they can get old and leak. That is something you would want to know is happening and these tpms will show you that since it measures to the tenth of a pound.

2 you only neeed background app refresh and location sharing ON if you want to be notified immediate if a change in pressure. If you don’t feel you need that feature then leave both OFF.

FOBO has been doing this for a long time. This is gen two. It works and works well. Personally it is worth $100 for this old body to not have to lay down on my back in the garage only to find out the stem isn’t where I can reach it, roll the bike a little and lay down again on my back. Then I find out I didn’t need to even do that because my pressure is where I want it to be. With the FOBO I know I will need air when I lay down on my back and I will have the air right there to fill and check. For me- that is $100 bucks well spent.

notifying me of a nail in my tire will be nice but just gravy.

I did a lot of research and I hope you do to. This is the only real time - to your phone - tpms I found.

again- you don’t have to have location and app refresh on to get pressure readings on your phone.

On an iPhone you can keep the app open and refresh your screen if you want to know how your tires are doing.

min an Android you can have the tire pressure overlay on top of any app you have running- map, music etc.

as you see I am taking A lot of time answering questions because I truly believe in this product and feel it is worth it for anyone that wants to know their pressures without the hassle.

you can let the app be invasive if you choose to and not invasive if you choose to not.

thanks for the comments.

VentureFar...

I went with a similar system. I also ordered up T valves after having them about 2 months. I was changing tires anyways. But getting my gauge and the TPMS to read the same is impossible. But as long as you know where your TPMS reads according to the gauge you have used for years it dont matter. I went with this system VS the phone read out as I dont always have the phone out where I can see it.

@VentureFar ....Hmmm....I was thinking of going this route...(https://www.tiretraker.com/proddetail.php?prod=TT700) until you came up with this product...

I have their 4 sensor system for my travel trailer and find they work very well....

The only thing that bothers me is my phone is always tucked away in my jacket. No way I can get to it while riding...

Decisions, decisions.

VentureFar ....Hmmm....I was thinking of going this route...(https://www.tiretraker.com/proddetail.php?prod=TT700) until you came up with this product...

I have their 4 sensor system for my travel trailer and find they work very well....

The only thing that bothers me is my phone is always tucked away in my jacket. No way I can get to it while riding...

Decisions, decisions.

Well you are going to have to mount that dedicated monitor on your bars anyway, so why not mount your phone on your bars instead?

I believe you will then be able to monitor ALL 6 tires on your phone. Just a thought.

After reading the review, the FOBO is now part of my must-buy list.

I just read your reply. Pulled out my phone and saw that my pressure is 36.8 for both tires. Since I am going for a ride tomorrow, I know I don't have to

1. Check them by hand

2. add any pressure

I like how easy that was.

Yea I know when I went to Amazon it came up unavailable. But there are several same ones there that are. My monitor is tucked in beside GPS mount and easy to see. I also have a android plug rite there to plug monitor in when battery for it goes dead. For me as far as phone app goes I dont always have my phone in the mount, so if a warning went off, dont know if I would get notice. Whatever system you choose they are a good tool.

Yea I know when I went to Amazon it came up unavailable. But there are several same ones there that are. My monitor is tucked in beside GPS mount and easy to see. I also have a android plug rite there to plug monitor in when battery for it goes dead. For me as far as phone app goes I dont always have my phone in the mount, so if a warning went off, dont know if I would get notice. Whatever system you choose they are a good tool.

If your phone is connected to your helmet headset then you will get an audible warning - fog horn or other obnoxious sound of your choice.

Honestly, just not having to lay down on my back to check my tirepressure is worth the whole $100 to me. The alerting is gravy.

I can definitely see the benefits to this because you can leave the house with properly inflated tires but pick up a nail or screw for example along the way. As the tire looses air the sidewalls flex more. The more they flex the higher the side wall temps go. This side wall temp increase over time weakens the side wall and could eventually cause a serious blow out. Being able to monitor your tire pressure would definitely help safe guard you against something like this.