United States
    SD
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default 89 Venture MKII for sale/trade. Western SD

89 Yamaha Venture, Blue. 73k on the clock. Nice reliable bike, everything works.

The good:
    *Ignitek TCI and COPs conversion done in anticipation of doing the Vmax upper engine conversion (Vmax part not done).
    *Progressives up front, fork bushings and seals replaced with OEM (No Chinese stuff). Have receipts.
    *Carbs gone through with some new parts but not full kits. Float levels set and synchronized, gets around 40mpg US.
    *All 4 carb diaphragms replaced with some made in the UK (not China).
    *I have a paper air filter installed but it will come with a K&N too.
    *Fairly new Dunlop E3 touring tires.
    *Brakes de-linked! R6 Calipers front and rear with EBC HH pads. Huge improvement over OEM.
    *I will include the Vmax heads/cams/intakes/vboost that I harvested from an 85VMX and never got around to installing.
    *Highway pegs.
    *New All-Ballz steering head bearings, races and seals. We know what a knuckle buster that job is. These bearings were made in India (IIRC) and NOT China like a lot of other AllBallz stuff comes from.
    *Sale includes what appear to be unused OEM headsets and intercom cables for rider and pass. Untested by me.
    *Has the wind deflectors (priceless on exceptionally hot or cold days).

The bad:
    *I think it noticed it slipping at WOT on the highway once or twice when I was really digging deep but under normal and moderately brisk operation there is no slippage. I've ridden it across many states just as it is but I believe it should be replaced. Luckily clutches on these are not expensive nor difficult.
    *VC gasket weeping, It's been like that since I bought it and I've toured it. Never had to add oil and never noticed any puddles or HD markings where I park it. I had planned to just replace all that when the Vmax heads went on, which they have not yet.

If it does not sell, I will ride it just as it sits down to southern CO and enjoy the desert for a few days, I'm fully confident that it can be ridden anywhere just as it sits but I'm OCD and should mention all I know that a buyer might wish to budget for.

Reason for sale: It's not a forgiving bike when the pavement ends, to many of my aimless tours find me at pavements end. I would trade this bike for a Vstrom 1000 (maybe 650 if setup right). I'd consider pretty much any trade but a dual sport of approximately same value would be great. This is a nice bike but it does show some of the normal wear expected with a bike of this vintage.

I am happy to ride it to another state for a serious trade as long as it does not require me to ride in a metropolitan area or large city.

I'm going to value it loosely at $2000 with all the Vmax fixin's listed above, but I'll hear any remotely reasonable offer.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails tmp_3039-IMG_20170423_132254-1152698847.jpg   1234.jpg  

Canada
    AB
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: 89 Venture MKII for sale/trade. Western SD

Quote Originally Posted by CaseyJ955 View Post
    89 Yamaha Venture, Blue. 73k on the clock. Nice reliable bike, everything works.

The good:
    *Ignitek TCI and COPs conversion done in anticipation of doing the Vmax upper engine conversion (Vmax part not done).
    *Progressives up front, fork bushings and seals replaced with OEM (No Chinese stuff). Have receipts.
    *Carbs gone through with some new parts but not full kits. Float levels set and synchronized, gets around 40mpg US.
    *All 4 carb diaphragms replaced with some made in the UK (not China).
    *I have a paper air filter installed but it will come with a K&N too.
    *Fairly new Dunlop E3 touring tires.
    *Brakes de-linked! R6 Calipers front and rear with EBC HH pads. Huge improvement over OEM.
    *I will include the Vmax heads/cams/intakes/vboost that I harvested from an 85VMX and never got around to installing.
    *Highway pegs.
    *New All-Ballz steering head bearings, races and seals. We know what a knuckle buster that job is. These bearings were made in India (IIRC) and NOT China like a lot of other AllBallz stuff comes from.
    *Sale includes what appear to be unused OEM headsets and intercom cables for rider and pass. Untested by me.
    *Has the wind deflectors (priceless on exceptionally hot or cold days).

The bad:
    *I think it noticed it slipping at WOT on the highway once or twice when I was really digging deep but under normal and moderately brisk operation there is no slippage. I've ridden it across many states just as it is but I believe it should be replaced. Luckily clutches on these are not expensive nor difficult.
    *VC gasket weeping, It's been like that since I bought it and I've toured it. Never had to add oil and never noticed any puddles or HD markings where I park it. I had planned to just replace all that when the Vmax heads went on, which they have not yet.

If it does not sell, I will ride it just as it sits down to southern CO and enjoy the desert for a few days, I'm fully confident that it can be ridden anywhere just as it sits but I'm OCD and should mention all I know that a buyer might wish to budget for.

Reason for sale: It's not a forgiving bike when the pavement ends, to many of my aimless tours find me at pavements end. I would trade this bike for a Vstrom 1000 (maybe 650 if setup right). I'd consider pretty much any trade but a dual sport of approximately same value would be great. This is a nice bike but it does show some of the normal wear expected with a bike of this vintage.

I am happy to ride it to another state for a serious trade as long as it does not require me to ride in a metropolitan area or large city.

I'm going to value it loosely at $2000 with all the Vmax fixin's listed above, but I'll hear any remotely reasonable offer.
    Good luck Tony but hope you’re not planning on leaving this group. Trust you’re doing well bud! Doug
    "The smallest act of kindness trumps the greatest of intentions"

United States
    SD
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by divey View Post
    Good luck Tony but hope you’re not planning on leaving this group. Trust you’re doing well bud! Doug
    Hey Doug, good to see you! I'll probably stick around until the bouncers suss me out and show me to the door. All good here as I hope it is for you!

United States
    SD
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

price drop

1850 with everything
    1650 w/o Vmax extras

I live VERY (too) near Sturgis, so if you or any friends/neighbors are making the rally this year they could snag this right here in Rapid, or even just have a look at it.

I would trade this bike for a decent vintage 2ch or twin tube amp/pre-amp setup or a Vstrom-ish scoot, or ??. I know $$ is snug right now for many so I'm quite willing to consider trades or partial trades.