IGNORED

What does this button do? Power Port

There is a small button switch next to the power port in left inner fairing of my '06 RSV. It does not seem to do anything. One would assume by it's location that it was intended to turn the power port on or off. I had 12.5VDC at the power port regardless of the switch position.

So;

What Does This Button Do?

OK, Thanks.

Now I need to check to see if I have the aux. lights turned on or off!

I was mucking about with that button a good bit when I was installing the phone mount/charger.

That's always been my problem when running during daylight hours for visibility. Can never remember if they are on or off after a day in the saddle.... :backinmyday:

Replacing the headlight and aux lights with LEDs is "almost" mandatory as the the alternator output is marginal at best. I replaced my headlight with an LED bulb and like the pattern and throw far better. I haven't been able to find the parts needed to put aux lights on...yet.

Thanks, I googled photos and saw what those lights look like. I don't really like the looks of them. They make the bike look even more like a Hardley. Just my smelly opinion of course! Apologize for any offense! :duck:

Edited by BlueSky

Replacing the headlight and aux lights with LEDs is "almost" mandatory as the the alternator output is marginal at best. I replaced my headlight with an LED bulb and like the pattern and throw far better. I haven't been able to find the parts needed to put aux lights on...yet.

I just ordered some 15W LED PAR36 lamps for mine. I'll let you know how (and if) they work once I get them.

After seeing this thread, I had a look at my bike; the little button near the power port turns my driving lamps off, but only while the button is depressed. When I let go, the lights come back on, as if it were wired as a temporary flash switch. I don't know if they were wired wrong or if this is one way it could normally be done, but it seems kind of useless? It's a long, awkward reach forward and under the bars just to flash those lamps.

I actually thought that button was to reset the power port like a breaker, in case too much load was applied, like from a compressor or something.

The next time I have the fairing open I'm going to try to re-wire those lights, to make them pull power from a relay rather than through the ignition switch. Maybe I can get the on/off button to work too.

After seeing this thread, I had a look at my bike; the little button near the power port turns my driving lamps off, but only while the button is depressed. When I let go, the lights come back on....

The button switch is a "click". If when you push it and release it doesn't turn the lights off (and stay off) then it sounds like you need to replace the switch. When I installed mine I had read issues with the button switch so I installed a toggle instead. Just make sure what you put in is waterproof.

For those that don't know... there is a write up about how to install the passing lights with switch and relay. The OEM instructions put load on the ignition switch (from memory so I may be incorrect on where the load is). The write up on here says what wires to tap into for the relay. You can wire them so that the passing lights only come on with low or high beam....or be on all the time (and controlled by the switch on the back of the fairing).

I wired mine so that they are controlled by the switch. Power to the relay comes from a 6 gang fuse block I installed inside the fairing (provides power for GPS, passing lights.... )

The original switch is NOT a temporary push to flash button. It should turn the light on and off. If it is not staying off, then I would say that the switch is bad.

You may be right Freebird. Since I didn't know it existed prior to this, my life isn't diminished by the deficiency of it though LOL. Just another item to put on ​THE LIST...

• 2 weeks later...

I got into a minor wreck in the spring. The body shop said that Yamaha discontinued the aux lights that I have, but they replaced them with new LED ones. I'm out of town right now, once I get home I'll try to remember to see if I can find invoice with all the parts they replaced.

They say their LEDs but they still have a yellowish-incandescent tint and look. However, I do notice a HUGE difference now when they are on. Before they were more for increasing the chance of being seen but little on lighting up the road. Now it's about 25% increase when I turn them on.

I'll also try to post a picture, although for some reason this forum never accepts my pictures.

Rich,

When i owned the bike I rarely to never turned them off with the switch... so the switch could be stuck in the closed position. Would be an easy job to replace the button switch with a toggle switch if its not working correctly.

For the passing or aux lights on the Gen 2 I had replaced the incandescent lights with the following from Amazon last year (early 2019):

LX-LIGHT Dot approved 2 PCS Chrome 4.5 Inch Cree LED Passing Light LED Fog Lamps for Motorcycles Auxiliary Light Bulb Motorcycle Projector Driving Lamp

Sold by: LX-LIGHT

Amazon still has them for $38.59 for the pair. I liked the way they work, but you can ask luvmy40 his opinion as this faithful steed is now his.

LX-LIGHT Dot approved 2 PCS Chrome 4.5 Inch Cree LED Passing Light LED Fog Lamps for Motorcycles Auxiliary Light Bulb Motorcycle Projector Driving Lamp

Sold by: LX-LIGHT