IGNORED

GPS Troubleshooting

An unusual occurrence occurred to me today for the second time. I stopped at a rest area to use the facilities. Turned the bike off while I was away. When I started the bike back up and the GPS booted up saying it was ready to go. It showed a map, but not a map of where I was located.

I continued on down the road to see if it would get its bearings but it did not. So after a while, I stopped and shut the bike off, waited about 5 minutes and started the bike again to see if it reset. It did not. I tried two more times at different locations with no results.

The last time I stopped was to fill up the tank. After I got done and started the bike the GPS was reading correctly.

The only difference on this stop is that I opened the tank cover and removed the gas cap.

Has anyone else seen this problem and if so, what did you do to correct it?

I am definitely thinking of just getting the Garmin Zumo XT and let the onboard GPS do whatever it wants to do.

Haven't heard of that one before. Are you at latest firmware? Should be 12. something.

I had a problem with gps freezing up earlier this year and had to delete all saved data in gps to fix it. Check your battery connections to make sure they are tight as I have heard of this causing wierd infotainment issues.

Haven't heard of that one before. Are you at latest firmware? Should be 12. something.

I had a problem with gps freezing up earlier this year and had to delete all saved data in gps to fix it. Check your battery connections to make sure they are tight as I have heard of this causing wierd infotainment issues.

Yes, I have the latest firmware, I had to update it as the dealer failed to do so before delivery. Will check battery connections but don’t think that is it as I have added lock washers. And they were tight when I upgraded to the Denali split bomb air horn.

Getting off subject-how do you like your horns? They look a little large for an install on the Venture. Do you have any pics?

I like the horn, of course it is not as loud as I would like but then....

The split bond enables you to set it up hight on the bike. I tried a different brand but a bad bump with the front cause it to hit the horn assembly and break it.

Denali Split Bomb bracket.jpgDenali Split Bomb mounted.jpg I mounted the compressor behind the left fog lamp. Sorry I don't have pictures of that.

• 4 months later...

496726593_Image12-4-20at22_48.jpeg.366a917e6a3862b9cd32e0a45d5070de.jpeg My on going  gps problem. As you can see I finally took it in to have the dealer look at it.  These are my notes on the status.  I apologize if my language upsets some but this problem is upsetting.

Edited by ecbaatz

I could not read your note so forgive me if I am repeating anything. I do think I read a part were they say you need to go to the GPS vendor for warranty. That in my mind is crap. It may be true that warranty is through the the vendor but since the bike was bought new with the unit factory installed the Yammy dealer should be dealing with them on your behalf. Even when we sell a truck and send it to an up fitter for add on's prior to the sale, we take on the responsibility of dealing with the up fitter on the customers behalf. If it was sent to the up fitter at the customers request after the truck sale, then the customer takes on the responsibility of dealing with the up fitter.

On another note does the GPS have a built in antenna or is it a remote antenna usually looks like a small puck type thing. It could either be faulty or have a loose connection. Still something the dealer should be dealing with however.

Edited by saddlebum

Saddlebum, yes there is a square shape antenna. The first thing I thought of when the problem started. So I bought a new antenna, I know it is under warranty but did not want to lose riding time over the summer. It was about $53. I replaced it with no improvement.  I could not tell if there were additional connections from the schematics to if they might be loose or bad, and to physically check it out would require major disassembly of the fairing, and it is under warranty. So I figured I would let them do that.

I ended up buying a Garmin Zumo XT for use over the summer. Great GPS.  No regrets there.  

I also understood the limitations of the stock gps when I bought but since I mainly use the gps to go from point a to point b it was not an issue. It would find me fuel when I was low as well.  I just want it to work. I paid for it.

So since I thought riding season was slowing down in November in northern Michigan I took it into the dealer to be looked at. Of course I forgot it is 2020 and weather is not normal so I have missed some riding.  But I should have it working by spring??? LOL

Edited by ecbaatz

• 1 month later...

Received word from my dealer that Yamaha has approved the repairs. Now just have to wait on delivery of the part. And hopefully since I got my recall letter in the mail today, I can get the front brake switch replaced at the same time.

• Like 2