IGNORED

What happened yesterday

Marcarl

Time had come to have a new steed in the stall, so a 2014 Ram 2500 was recruited to compliment the already aged and worn in gathering. It took about 4 weeks to find this animal, there are not a lot of these on the market. Basically, we figured that a truck that would last 10 years would do the trick, so figuring out mileage and such, the 2014 was as ancient as I was about to go and it has only 143,000 km on it, so the trigger was pulled,,, now that's another story I might post some time.

Yesterday though, I went out to have the alignment checked and after that I headed for the car wash. I have a ticket at $22.50\mth that allows me to wash my car 2 times per day for a month, and normally the automatic does a fine job. I think I'm quite happy with the results. So off I go to get'r cleaned up again. As per usual I line up, get through the gate, and get guided into the wash, the conveyor grabs the rear wheel, I set the truck into neutral, take my foot off the brake and allow the machinery to do their things,,,,, soap spray, whirling brushes, sliding terrycloth strips, opppsss! what was that?? something when bump!!! that not normal,, wonder what that was,,, but hey, we're still moving and getting cleaned,,, then,,,, crrrrrunch and water starts coming in at the top of the windshield and I realize that my windshield is taking on a different shape in the upper left hand corner,,,, something has decided that it would like to enter the drivers area, didn't even have the decency to knock on the door!!!, but just come right in where convenient. Reaction was to hit the brake and then slam it in reverse to back away form that animal, but then reality hit on my brain and I come up with the understanding that backing up would get the driver in the car behind me very upset when my brute would start pushing them back out of the wash that they have waited soo long to get into, so I did what any bright brained individual would do and that was to lay on the horn!!!!!!! Amazingly,, everything came to an immediate halt, water ceased to converge on my dashboard, brushes were no longer trying to wipe off unseen dirt, the noise was greatly reduced and I could see the intruder. Turns out that a terry strip had caught on the turning brush and as the brush turned the wound the strip around itself, lifted the brush which then in anger poked itself through my windshield. No marks on the rest of the truck, which was a bonus, it still looks as good as the day after the day I got it. Truck is now presently waiting for a new windshield to show up Monday AM, and then I can finish matching it to our trailer to go visit Evan and Anne in North Bay.

So be forewarned,,, if something goes BUMP in the dark, there is likely a chance that the bump might mean something,,, best solution is to lay on the horn,,,, so be sure when you go out at night, take a horn with you,,, you just never know.

I don't like it,,, but I guess things happen that way.

Time had come to have a new steed in the stall, so a 2014 Ram 2500 was recruited to compliment the already aged and worn in gathering. It took about 4 weeks to find this animal, there are not a lot of these on the market. Basically, we figured that a truck that would last 10 years would do the trick, so figuring out mileage and such, the 2014 was as ancient as I was about to go and it has only 143,000 km on it, so the trigger was pulled,,, now that's another story I might post some time.

Yesterday though, I went out to have the alignment checked and after that I headed for the car wash. I have a ticket at $22.50\mth that allows me to wash my car 2 times per day for a month, and normally the automatic does a fine job. I think I'm quite happy with the results. So off I go to get'r cleaned up again. As per usual I line up, get through the gate, and get guided into the wash, the conveyor grabs the rear wheel, I set the truck into neutral, take my foot off the brake and allow the machinery to do their things,,,,, soap spray, whirling brushes, sliding terrycloth strips, opppsss! what was that?? something when bump!!! that not normal,, wonder what that was,,, but hey, we're still moving and getting cleaned,,, then,,,, crrrrrunch and water starts coming in at the top of the windshield and I realize that my windshield is taking on a different shape in the upper left hand corner,,,, something has decided that it would like to enter the drivers area, didn't even have the decency to knock on the door!!!, but just come right in where convenient. Reaction was to hit the brake and then slam it in reverse to back away form that animal, but then reality hit on my brain and I come up with the understanding that backing up would get the driver in the car behind me very upset when my brute would start pushing them back out of the wash that they have waited soo long to get into, so I did what any bright brained individual would do and that was to lay on the horn!!!!!!! Amazingly,, everything came to an immediate halt, water ceased to converge on my dashboard, brushes were no longer trying to wipe off unseen dirt, the noise was greatly reduced and I could see the intruder. Turns out that a terry strip had caught on the turning brush and as the brush turned the wound the strip around itself, lifted the brush which then in anger poked itself through my windshield. No marks on the rest of the truck, which was a bonus, it still looks as good as the day after the day I got it. Truck is now presently waiting for a new windshield to show up Monday AM, and then I can finish matching it to our trailer to go visit Evan and Anne in North Bay.

So be forewarned,,, if something goes BUMP in the dark, there is likely a chance that the bump might mean something,,, best solution is to lay on the horn,,,, so be sure when you go out at night, take a horn with you,,, you just never know.

I don't like it,,, but I guess things happen that way.

Just don’t lay on the horn before it goes bump. 2-1/2 years ago a 3/4 ton ford pulled out in front of my wife, with no way to miss it she hit the horn. An airbag deploys at speeds even a 1st gen can’t match and will break the bones in front of it, broke both bones in her arm, one in her hand, and left her with lifelong pain and reduced usage of that hand.

This is why I don't wash my vehicles.

Sorry about your misfortune Carl. But glad it was just the windshield. Hope the car wash comes good for the damage.

Yep, glad it was only the windshield as well. Hate body work on my vehicles, it always seems to attract rust.

As far as the car-wash was concerned????? They were totally apologetic, I mean all over it and under it and through it. Found a glass place that could do it ASAP (Monday), drove me home, and offered to clean the inside of the truck and fully wax the outside, and get me a good deal on my membership. So far so good, I will see what else they might come up with. They also paid for a new windshield and didn't think that was quite enough yet. They were very good and professional. Maybe I will stop by on Monday to get it washed again.............NOT!!! not until I get back home again, and then I think I'm going to keep the brake on just in-case eh?? I'll be apprehensive for sure for a couple of times.

So is it a gasser or diesel? My 12 is a 5.7. Just couldnt see my way to pay way more for a diesel with almost 3 times the miles thats on mine.

It's a 6.7 Cummins diesel. Not much choice in a 5.7, some 6.4 but mostly diesel, all about the same price. We'll see how it works out for us. We have an 08 1500 5.7 that is now forsale and I had no complaints on that one. 300,000 km and still going strong.