IGNORED

Trailering The Eluder

Hello all!

I want to thank you who replied to my last post and I have since sold my Indian and have purchased a brand new old Eluder! The next issue I have is I have to pick it up out of state. I think the best option for me would be to trailer it home, but looking at this bike I have no idea where you could attach tie down straps. How have you all secured your bike to a trailer? I saw on another forum that someone bought straps that go over the grips on the handlebars, but these bikes have rubber mounted bars correct? I’m thinking that’s probably not a good way to secure it. If you all could shed a little light (and maybe some pictures) that would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you.

Watch and believe!

This is the only way to secure a motorcycle, whether on a trailer or in the bed of a pick up.

I've transported many bikes like this and it works. You don't need the expensive straps, just good quality ratchet straps.

The last thing you want to do is to compress the suspension, front or rear when transporting a bike.

ETA: I just realized they are securing a Tour Deluxe in this video! How apropos !

The video is pretty good but I think there are a couple ways to improve what he's doing:

1) I don't like having the ratchet near the motorcycle. I use tie down extension straps on the bike and run the ratchet strap from the extension to the trailer, with the buckle at the trailer end. This is the kind of extension strap I mean:

Mofaner-4-Pieces-Ratchet-Strap-Tie-Down-Straps-Soft-Securing-Loop-Extension-Tie-For-ATV-Dirt.jpg

2) He's got excess strap tied off near the motorcycle. That could flap in the wind and damage paint. Tie the excess off down at the trailer.

One more thing, tie down the rear even if it's a single strap through the wheel. If you're in a collision you don't need the motorcycle somersaulting onto the tow vehicle.

• Like 1

I haven’t seen someone tie it down there. I do have those tie down extensions I guess I could loop them around the forks. Interesting that he didn’t use a wheel chock. I thought that was a must have. I got a V-nose enclosed trailer. Would I be good just lining the wheel up in the V?

I use a wheel chock. However, a chock is not absolutely necessary. Cecdoo recently transported a Yamaha Maxim 750 with this method and no front wheel chock with good results.

You can add a third (or third and fourth) strap on the rear wheel if you feel it's needed, Just be sure to strap the wheel down so as to not compress the suspension.

Pick up one of these.. CHOCK and mount it at the head of the trailer....and you'll only need a couple of tie downs for the rear wheel to keep it centered... and a hank of rope just because to hold the front wheel in the upright.. Even a couple of 2x4 pieces on each side of the rear will work... You can simply ride into the chock and get off the bike. I'm assuming you have a ramp gate?? It'll stay upright.. I've trailered tousands of miles with this set up... Loading and unloading is a snap...

Pick up one of these..and mount it at the head of the trailer....and you'll only need a couple of tie downs for the rear wheel to keep it centered... and a hank of rope just because to hold the front wheel in the upright.. Even a couple of 2x4 pieces on each side of the rear will work... You can simply ride into the chock and get off the bike. I'm assuming you have a ramp gate?? It'll stay upright.. I've trailered tousands of miles with this set up... Loading and unloading is a snap...

I actually have one of those wheel chocks and it was set up in my trailer and perfect for my old bike. Unfortunately the Eluder is to big to set it up correctly in my trailer. I wouldn’t be able to close the door. I have the money for a new bike or a new trailer. Not both lol. I went to look for used ones but they’re usually in bad shape and not much less expensive than a new one.

I did contemplate renting a car to drive up there and riding it home but it’s 8 hours one way and I know if I tried to ride it home it’d be an 8 hour ride through thunderstorms or an historic July blizzard. That’s always my luck!