IGNORED

Advice on the belt adjustment

Service manual says 3 to 7 mm of slack at 10 ilbs of pressure. I run mine at 10 mm of slack and I align it by using cowpucs method.

Thanks, I got the manual and the numbers. I’ll see if I can loosen it up a bit.

• 4 weeks later...

Following up on the belt adjustment. Dealer double checked belt tension with opinion of two techs. Said the belt was perfect. The next day I got the rear wheel in the air and found the tension at the tightest spot was 3-4mm, I’m calling it 3.5mm. Wheel in the air calls for 5-7mm. So much for the dealer. I set it at 8mm and tweaked in the right side a little to align the belt. I’m saying I’ve knocked out about 80% of the noise. Next time I’ve got the bike in the air I’ll set it to 10mm and see where I am at eliminating the noise completely.

I have friends with Harleys and Indians and there belts are a lot looser than the Venture even though their belt specs are almost the same as Yamaha's spec. I always pull the front pully cover and inspect belt position there. If it is close to the center I am happy.. The bike came with the belt tight on the outside of both the front and rear pulley which isn't correct.

I have a little noise in the 30-35 mph range but I think it is gear whine from the tranny.

That’s exactly the rpm range for mine too, right about 3000 - 3500. I’m still going to take it to 10mm. I haven’t pulled off the front pulley cover yet to inspect how it’s tracking.

I have friends with Harleys and Indians and there belts are a lot looser than the Venture even though their belt specs are almost the same as Yamaha's spec. I always pull the front pully cover and inspect belt position there. If it is close to the center I am happy.. The bike came with the belt tight on the outside of both the front and rear pulley which isn't correct.

I have a little noise in the 30-35 mph range but I think it is gear whine from the tranny.