IGNORED

Venture/Vmax misses at large throttle openings

Greeting to all here, I'm a newbie to the Venture scene but I have ridden for about 40 years and I'm a life-long Yamaha fan (FJ1200, 550 Vision, FJR1300, FJ09, among others) and I do most of my own work.

I have been working on this new project bike I just picked up, a pretty clean 83 Venture with a VMax (!) motor of unknown vintage, transplanted by the father of the previous owner, that doesn't seem to want to make power at large throttle openings. I'm suspecting the carbs but I haven't gotten into them yet. The bike came to me without an airbox cover so I got off of Ebay and it anything, adding the cover made it worse. It runs OK at part throttle but when you open it up over 4000 RPM and expect that VMAX thing to start happening it just doesn't, and it starts to misfire like it's lean. It wont pull hard or really at all at large throttle openings. I think the carbs are from the Venture but I cannot be sure. I don't know if the bike was rejetted after the transplant, and I'm not sure if the engine has Vmax or Venture cams in it. I did get a big box of valve shims and lifter tools with the bike.

Also I just refilled the tank for the first time and I got 100 miles out of 4 gallons of gas. Not great but I'm unsure if this points to something or not.

So if I gather from all the searching I have done in the forum, spanning a couple decades, that the CV diaphragms tend to go bad and that fits the lean misfire thing if they are leaking and aren't letting the needle rise out of the jet making it lean.

My forum search is not yet complete but if anyone has the link to where the latest/best source for the best carb kits and diaphragms I would be grateful. I will be pulling the airbox tomorrow to try to assess the state of the slides and diaphragms before tearing the carbs off.

I'm also open to this being an ignition problem but it sure does feel like carburation.

If there is something I've missed that happens to these bikes that causes this problem I could sure use that news too.

After I get this resolved it will be time to do something about those linked brakes.

Wow what a bad idea, at least as it is now on this bike.

I already have all the parts (forks, R1 brakes, etc) for that except the lines.

But I have to make this thing GO better before I worry about making it STOP.

Sounds like you got yourself a real fun project going on there Squid,, lot of good old fashioned :think: in the makings,, gotta love it :happy34::happy65::biker:..

Just to get us on the same page,, at least you and me as I am sure most of these varmints are already in tune with you,,, when I encounter a lean condition it usually shows up in more what would describe as a "bog" than a "misfire".. Generally speaking, misfires are a result of an ignition issue where a bog is due to improper air/fuel on the lean side..

Another thing to smooth out here,, in my limited V-Max experience,, that V-Max thing happening is a direct result of an actual/seeable device that sets between the carbs themselves and the intake manifolds in which the carbs set into on a Venture.. On a V-Max, that device is called a "V-Boost" (again,, from my limited experience) and what it amounts to is an extra set of butterfly valves that open channels hooking the carb throats together so at certain R's (thinkin 6 grandish as I recall - been a while since I had a Max) the single carbs are all of a sudden being combined together.. Those V-Boost butterflys activate off a servo motor..

Another point to ponder is that both the V-Max and the Venture are indeed very airbox/breather sensitive.. My opinion,, and that is all this is, is this is due to the CV carbs that Mom Yam chose to utilize on these bikes..

All this said,, questions remain,, do you know whether or not your bike has the V-Boost system in it? It would be interesting to see how it was fit into the venture frame if so as I am fairly certain,, at least in my untrained minds eye, that the frame must of been altered?

May I suggest that you snap some pictures of your scoot and give us all a peek at your project.. Maybe some closeups of the fueling system and exhaust systems as there are differences in both areas that may help us figure out exactly what you have..

I do 100 agree with your summation on the slide diaphram thoughts.. Usually if you loose a diaphram,, or two,, you loose power for exactly the reason you mention.. While I have personally never purchased new ones but chose to repair my old ones thru the years I do know that new ones at much reduced price compared to OEM are available.. I think I remember reading that the ones from the UK (maybe) are the good ones and to stay away from Chinese.. Sirus or something like that comes to my mind for some reason.. If you pull yours apart and they are not seperated from the slides or torn severely make sure to check along the edge of the diaphram where it contacts the carb body very carefully as it is easy to miss a tear in that area..

Very interesting,, sounds like fun,, get us some :photographing:'s!!

Puc

I sport a 1st gen Vmax, have spent a bit of time tuning it and get it dialed in. Missing and breaking up over 4k sure sounds to me like it's rich rather than lean. It's a very common Vmax thing, they come from the factory rich. Mine was so rich when I got it that I had to tune it from scratch, especially for my 4000' altitude. 25 mpg is another indication of a very rich mixture, I think most folks here get mid to high 30s US gal.

I got my Vmax from about 25 mpg to 40-ish just by changing out some jetts and making sure the float levels were spot on. That 4k rpm stumble is all to familiar to me. Do you smell raw unburned fuel around the bike? I could on mine when I stopped but I knew it was an issue when someone I was riding in front of was telling me that the rich smell was very strong. Once I got it tuned and leaned out a bit the "Vmax thing" started happening in spades. 4k rpm is about when the slides lift the needles and open up the main circuit so when the main jets are to fat it will begin the rich stumble right at that RPM. Just lookign into my crystal ball here but I'm going to bet your jetting is off a bit, as was not uncommon that some of the Dynojet stage 1 kits for Vmax were way way way to rich if installed according to the included literature. These V4s prefer a tad lean over a being rich, and it seems most of them I have had anything to do with were much to rich, which cuts into the Vmax experience.

Vmax main jets are pretty fat from the factory, I'm running a free flowing Kerker exhaust and Morleys intake, my jets are smaller than factory and it pulls hard all the way to the 10k redline. I'm with puc, we need as much info as we can get on what the setup is, BUT it sounds like your tuning a Vmax and not a Venture.

When your pulling the carbs (Its sounding like thats where this is going) it might be a bear, even with factory intakes it is a tight squeeze, but with the slightly taller Vboost manifolds you may end up having to lower the engine, i've not done this but I've read about it enough times that it resonates as I'm ready to do a Vmax head/cam swap into my Venture.

When you get the carbs apart make notes of all the jet sizes, I'm really interested in the main jet sizes. Also note that the factory jets are Mikuni, and most of the aftermarket jets are DJ, the size numbering DO NOT coorelate, there is a conversion chart here so that when you do get it apart you can make better sense of what you really have. Another thing that may have happened since that Vmax engine has been on the planet for so many years is, someone may have put in aftermarket needles, these MUST be identified before we can talk about jetting. Luckily there is a picture that IDs the commonly used needles in these applications. Stage 1 DJ needles are not fun to work with, there are better ones to use. I have the pic but cant post it, but if we can see your needles we should be able to identify them.

I think factory Vmax main jets are 152.5 MK, I'm at a 147 MK main and it pulls like a beast with no more stumble or flat spots. Whats right for you will depend on needles, exhaust, altitude et al.

https://yamaha-enduros.com/index.php/workshop/carb-jet-conversion-chart

Another word of caution, dont hurry to buy carb kits and parts, there are good parts and bad ones out there, best rule of thumb is NEVER put Chinese parts on a Japanese bike. Luckily there are some Japanese aftermarket carb parts/kits that are known good and cheaper than OEM. Also diaphragm sets can be had out of the UK for around 100/set and are made in the UK. Beware of the unbranded cheap-o stuff with these carbs. It's fairly common for Chinese kits to be used and the job must be redone with quality parts. Save your $$ and untold aggravation and buy the right stuff the first time around.

I know Puc mentioned this, but it's going to be important to see if you have all the components of a functioning Vboost. Yup, pics!

This is a link that has proven very useful as I set the floats for my Venture and Vmax (same setting). Good reading.

http://www.factorypro.com/Prod_Pages/prody11.html

Tuning can be monotonous, especially if you have to try a couple different main jets, but the results are very nice.

Congrats on the cool project!

I know this is looking wayyyy into the tuning tuning crystal ball but, another thing that comes to my mind when talking converting Venture to V-Max is both the TCI/ignition advance modules and also flywheel weight.. I know the cams are different bike to bike but I still wonder if the same could be of the TCI's and flywheel mass.. I have owned and ridden both, have tinkered with the Venture some but very little with the V-Max (couldnt get off it long enough to tinker with it LOL).. Just saying that it wouldnt surprise me one bit to find out that the V-Max has a completely different TCI and Flywheel.. If you have an actual complete V-Max motor top to bottom stuffed into a Venture frame,, there is a possibility that I am correct (there is always that possibility,, it does happen) and you may be missing the TCI and vacuum advance modual it needs to perform correctly..

Also,, @CaseyJ955,,, weren't the exhaust ports on the Max in different location in comparo to the Venture? You got both sitting in your garage? I am working off memory but it sure seems like this was so.. Maybe take a peek if you have both? If so,, Squid it would also be excellent to see what your bike looks like as far as overcoming that obsticle...

Wish @zagger would chime in here,, I think his "Frankenstien" chopper has a V-Max top end stuffed into it or,, maybe it was just a V-Boost mod.. Zag?

Lots of fun!!

Puc

Also,, CaseyJ955,,, weren't the exhaust ports on the Max in different location in comparo to the Venture? You got both sitting in your garage? I am working off memory but it sure seems like this was so.. Maybe take a peek if you have both? If so,, Squid it would also be excellent to see what your bike looks like as far as overcoming that obsticle...

Wish zagger would chime in here,, I think his "Frankenstien" chopper has a V-Max top end stuffed into it or,, maybe it was just a V-Boost mod.. Zag?

Lots of fun!!

Puc[/quote

Not on the Gen1, since the OP has both Gen1 Vmax engine and Gen1 Venture chassis he wont have any trouble with exhaust port location. But putting a Gen1 Vmax/Venture into a Gen2 Venture frame is a problem as the frame is directly in the way of the exhaust port. Lucky for the OP he has all Gen1 stuff and wont run into any troubles along those lines.

The other thing about exhaust, off the top of my head, is the Venture exhaust has smaller ID downtubes than the Vmax and maybe a slightly smaller diameter exhaust port, not totally sure on this but since the bike is already built with exhaust presumably matching the heads then this is another hurdle the OP is spared from solving.

If the exhaust downtubes/port is smaller than the one that came off the Vmax, this will be considered during the jetting and tuning phase. The bottleneck of a stock Vmax is the downtubes, even more so with Venture exhaust, so maybe slightly different jetting than tune that a Vmax would, all other things being equal. I cant wait to see a pic of the exhaust and see whats happening there.

I'm wondering if the OP doesn't already have an ignitek or some other aftermarket TCI.

Also wondering if all the Vboost components are present or if the builder never finished doing the Vboost. IF, if he has an aftermarket TCI, like the Ignitek, which has provisions for triggering the Vboost motor directly at an adjustable RPM, removing the need for the venerable and often failing OEM Vmax Vboost controller.

A link for the OP in case he has not stumbled into this yet, there is a lot of good discussion of this exact thing. https://www.venturerider.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?225-VMax-Conversions

I love a good project! Cant wait to see a few pics of this one.

Wish zagger would chime in here,, I think his "Frankenstien" chopper has a V-Max top end stuffed into it or,, maybe it was just a V-Boost mod.. Zag?

Hey guys. I have an 83 venture where I mounted the Vmax boost valves when I was rebuilding everything. The boost valves double the air and gas to each cylinder. Mine are operated with a bicycle shifter mounted at the end of my left handlebar. Maybe I don't ride hard enough or something - but the boost valves don't add that much unless you are fully on it. However, for just general riding around, the engine definitely benefits from cracking the valves open just a little. Since I use a bicycle shifter to operate the valves, one "click" is enough to make the engine happy. My venture is quite fast - once I came up on a line of Harley's on a back road and was going about 120mph by the time I passed the last one. I originally got a venture due to the under seat gas tank. It is a heavy bike and having the weight sitting low in the bike certainly helps with the overall feeling of weight.

zag

Well I got enough apart to get the "tops" off the carbs and have a look at the diaphragms and slides and everything seemed in order. No rips or funkiness in the rubber, the c-clips are set on the third groove from the point of the needle.

Would I be correct that this is likely a decent ballpark for the needle height on a bike with stock exhaust and airfilter/airbox?

Next I guess I should pull the airbox and see about getting a look at the main jets and the content of the float bowls.

• 2 weeks later...

Like you guys it is difficult to asses what is going on and for what reasons.

Casey sometimes your post force me back into my comfy chair backrest! And your spelling is near perfect too..

I really like Zag's KISS approach to the veritable intake (which is essentially what it is) I have rebuilt many of them over a range of engines and yes the actuators can be a headache.

One of the issues with most sport/performance engine tuning's has be the marketing behind fatter jets, richer this and that's for reasons not well understood.. The switch to LAMBDA reading is finally changing the thinking by arming the buyers with easy to understand measures.

Now the fact remains that these over rich mixes have shorten engine life cycles. There yes I agree with Puc a compression test will serve OP well here to see what he is building over.. We spend large amounts of $$$ for every CC of air we can pack in so carbon just simply destroys the efforts not to mention pre ignition issues!

Which brings again to light what TCI and advance setting is she running?

Pipes: The rule is equal out for 8 to 12" eq. to port dia. that stays in place unless we move collecting or collector above when demands fit the decision.

With or without overlap we strive to maintain a flow or a draw out and is why we collect. Also this might be a touch technical but, we need keep in mind percussion waves which will disrupt flow causing it to reverse!

Good thread because y'all make it so

I was just reading the thread. I had a simmler problem w/ my 84 Venture. I realy thought I was not going to like the bike when I got it. the power was just so-so. Was like it hit a wall @ about 4K rpm. ( I thought it had a rev limiter )Checked the diaphrams, yeap sure enough, All but one had holes. I did like Cowpuc, and just repaired the old ones for about $20. Different as day and night. That was great! Then I realized one cylinder wasn't running. Of course it wasn't just a coil died. ECU died. Replaced it ,and fell in LOVE! I now know why Cowpuc raves about first Gen Vents. Never been on a Goldwing, but I can't imagine a better ride than this! Now, I have found out the transmision can't handel the power! Yes, It started poping out of second gear. I like you bought it for a project bike, but COME ON! Now this after doing all the stuff you would expect, you know like master cylinders, breaks , cables, broken this and that. I am beging to think all I will ever do is work on it. To make a long story short. I am getting ready now to put the motor back in. (By the way, does anybody else wonder why the valve tolerance is so tight. ) I sure hope your project goes better than mine. Maybe things will get better from here on.

Either way, I'm realy glad I found this forum. I have been enjoying reading about all the adventures you guys have with your projects. I am learning a lot, if an old dog like me can still learn anything. One thing for sure, it's keeping me busy. like the wife can't do that. Lol.

One more thing. I realy like the Youtube videos CowPuc, but do some more scoot stuff. Maybe a road trip.

Enjoy the trip, but don't forget where your going.

Rick

What do you have as far as the air filter box and air filter?

When I did VMax conversion on Tweety, I experimented with numerous modifications to air intake to reduce the power lag.

Both the VMaxs and Ventures are sensitive to air flow changes, even running without tank cover on will affect it.

I ended up relocating battery on its side where the coil pack was in order to get enough room to put a Vmax air filter housing on it. That was best thing I tried and worked fairly well. Coils were replaced with COPs

VBoost servo motor is visible below new battery box on right side.

Battery has been like this for 8 years now.

DSC01672.JPGDSC01865.jpg

]What do you have as far as the air filter box and air filter?

When I did VMax conversion on Tweety, I experimented with numerous modifications to air intake to reduce the power lag.

Both the VMaxs and Ventures are sensitive to air flow changes, even running without tank cover on will affect it.[/color]

I ended up relocating battery on its side where the coil pack was in order to get enough room to put a Vmax air filter housing on it. That was best thing I tried and worked fairly well. Coils were replaced with COPs

Right on Dingy!

• 4 weeks later...

OK so the carbs are out and apart and the results are pretty inconclusive. The diaphragms look to me to be fine. The bowls are clean, the main jets (my prime suspects) look clean and are #155 . (what was stock?)

Needles are on the third groove from the top. I got all the jet-like things out of the jet block and nothing is plugged. All-in-all it looks like a good clean set of carbs. My only question is what is the stock main jet size. I'm not sure if these carbs are off of the Venture or the VMax.

Again the symptoms: It kind of acted as if the main circuit was too rich. When I whack it wide open it would kill any increase in power, even at lower RPM and would never pull more then 4500rpm with the throttle wide open. Closing the throttle a bit at that RPM felt like it was about catch and give some power but only barely for a second. The lower part of the rev and throttle range felt great.

My gas milage is not good. 25 mpg over the few tanks I have had it running.

I suspect my next adventure is going to be the ignition system. I might be able to convince myself that the added combustion pressure at those throttle openings and RPM may be straining a weak ignition system into failure under those conditions. Since the carbs look ok (to me anyway) that's about all I have left.

Can someone point me to a parts list to convert to coil over plug? I'm assuming that ignition system is Venture or a hybrid of Venture/VMax.

Is there a replacement for the ECU? I will go searching the forum(s) but I have seen some ideas but if there is a conclusive solution I'd like to hear it.

One last thing I might consider is that the exhaust has the infamous collector rattle at idle. Could the lose baffle be consistently blocking the output enough to cause all this?

What do you have as far as the air filter box and air filter?

Both the VMaxs and Ventures are sensitive to air flow changes, even running without tank cover on will affect it.

https://www.venturerider.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=119271https://www.venturerider.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=119272

Absolutely amazing!!! Where have you been so long Dingy?

Thread on COPs.

ttps://www.venturerider.org/forum/newreply.php?p=1083566&noquote=1

I used an Ignitek in mine so I would not need the resistors, also I was doing the max conversion too but now it's up in the air, prolly not going to happen.

Stock 1st gen Vmax jet sizes should be Mains 152.5, PAJ1 90, PAJ2 170, Pilot jet 37.5, all in MK. DJ jets are not stock.

The Venture jet sizes escape me. I know my 1st gen Vmax needed a whole lot more playing with jetting than my Venture did.

Jet sizes are different for Mukuni (MK) and DJ (Dynajet), and one other oddball out there.

Here is a conversion chart. I ended removing all the DynoJet stuff from my max and going with all the fixings from Morley with excellent results. This should help you be able to make heads or tails out of that. https://vmax.lvlhead.com/tips/jetsizes.htm

When my Vmax was very rich and jetted way over what it needed I had that 4k stumble, which is when the needles will start to lift and open the main jets. I also smelled raw fuel often around the bike. Correct jetting turned it into a monster, a monster that suddenly gets fairly good cruising range now since it's not drowning in it's own fuel.

some thoughts:

You should take compression and post results; much easier to do with the cabs off.

Yes looks like they set the bike up too rich, and the needles numbers should be match as well. Why the clips are set to 3 well no idea what he was thinking but the pull on the slides will be too quick and so the engine cant "catch its breath" for drowning in too rich a dump.

Now there are consequences to this so check that compression. If it turns out good the reset the carb jetting's, find the tci and look to see what brand it is.

Then Dingy can suggest if its one of his how to best set it up, or what to look for.

As for jets sizing, each model has a carb rebuild section, and, there you will find the stock sizings.

Collector: is it possible that a baffle is restricting flow, sure but at the moment the needles are opening to quick too soon.

Remember CV carbs are air flow sensitive, if any mods have been made to the stock setup then we need to know in order to understand the compound potentials ;)

So since stock 1st gen Venture main jets are 117.5 and I found my bike is running 155's I think I may have found my smoking gun for my WFO throttle issues.Even though it's a VMax motor I'm going to start off with 117.5's because I think the exhaust is going to be the limiting factor. I may need to go up more due to better VMax flow rates but we shall see. By most accounts the 152 stock VMax mains were already too rich in that bike.

So since stock 1st gen Venture main jets are 117.5 and I found my bike is running 155's I think I may have found my smoking gun for my WFO throttle issues.Even though it's a VMax motor I'm going to start off with 117.5's because I think the exhaust is going to be the limiting factor. I may need to go up more due to better VMax flow rates but we shall see. By most accounts the 152 stock VMax mains were already too rich in that bike.

interesting:

Much of what is mentioned will confuse you as you progress because there are some fundamentals that apply to the CV carbs verses direct/hard slides.

So just a quick mention here, I have broken this down in other posts for similar problems and if you have followed other threads from this and last month then you'll find links in them.

Starting with flow: the heads dictate power, power is a potential only meaning it is not a on or off switch. That is where flow comes in then once we know those flow rates we target a ratio, then we set our ignition timing and that is where the box programming plays its part (when to ignite)

If you follow flows in and out basic rules then you should be fine with the original flows tho there is little wrong with some minor tweeking.

Why over sized jet kill the engine and shorten duty cycles is because of the lack of stoichiometric..

A CV carb that is vacuum balanced will not stall flow in fact it is the opposite, it also won't generate rich or lean conditions unless you have the situation that you described in your other post.

So, when you slides are parked they should be in the closed position meaning that the fuel circuit is off.

When the slides are closed on this type of carb setup velocity is maintain which keeps the pilot jets running efficiently; as the throttle opens on this type of carb vacuum remains higher than a direct slide set when measured at the throttle plate - giving more boost to actuate the slide while maintaining velocity!

Why is this important to know? Because I see you wanting to understand why the engine is behaving as tho there is a limiter, this is classic imbalance!

Stoichiometric can only be realized after ignition duration and that has to do with crank angles of ignition timing! (the time it takes to complete ignition around TDC)

Here is where we find the cherry: all that above is to say it all has to do with heat expansion and the time it takes (duration) to complete!

When you too rich you cool combustion temperatures and you throw out the unburnt fuel hence the 25 mpg think about the percentage of waste compare to other posts; then reduce size and settings by that! makes sense?

A personal story and tricks of my experience: Many of you long timers know a ran the first super bikes stamped sept. 87 have 2 of them.

Ajay 1st bike was the Kat 750 1996 on what was to be the night before his 1st tour with me he went out to try his new gear; I said son that visor is too dark for night riding even in the city.... well a month later I thought it time to get him back in the saddle so I handed off one of my 1100's

Later in the season as he got past the crash lessons he asked for some handling mods and we swapped out engines as well.

Of course my fuel system had many mods to it and was about to get another ;) on that setup I ran my pump thru the air housing which required many fittings )))) So the following year he came to me and said Dad the bike is loosing power around 9-10K hmm? ;)

Things got busy with work and travel so we really didn't run the bikes much for a couple of years. Then in 17 I think he said Dad what about the power loss... So I had quite a few projects backed up in the shop and just said run it like that for a bit and we'll get to it. Then not thinking we tore it down and I came across the cheat/trick I had forgotten "yikes" I purposely had set the bike to lean out at those rpms via a reducer fitting, YIKES Ajay how did I screw that up? hmm

Well we had a laugh and I said maybe soon you will know what it is to be a Dad and walk thru your growing adventurous son ;)

The point is understanding flows raw helps to understand Stoichiometric's​ and the results

I know eh Ben, whenever I read something nice from Puc concerning me; I always wonder what he is setting me up for :Avatars_Gee_George:

By the way I wanted to mention this reminder related to this thread : Gen 1 has the MKl and the MKll for Ventures different engines and different carbs

plus the VMAX's

I was just reading the thread. I had a simmler problem w/ my 84 Venture. I realy thought I was not going to like the bike when I got it. the power was just so-so. Was like it hit a wall @ about 4K rpm. ( I thought it had a rev limiter )Checked the diaphrams, yeap sure enough, All but one had holes. I did like Cowpuc, and just repaired the old ones for about $20. Different as day and night. That was great! Then I realized one cylinder wasn't running. Of course it wasn't just a coil died. ECU died. Replaced it ,and fell in LOVE! I now know why Cowpuc raves about first Gen Vents. Never been on a Goldwing, but I can't imagine a better ride than this! Now, I have found out the transmision can't handel the power! Yes, It started poping out of second gear. I like you bought it for a project bike, but COME ON! Now this after doing all the stuff you would expect, you know like master cylinders, breaks , cables, broken this and that. I am beging to think all I will ever do is work on it. To make a long story short. I am getting ready now to put the motor back in. (By the way, does anybody else wonder why the valve tolerance is so tight. ) I sure hope your project goes better than mine. Maybe things will get better from here on.

Either way, I'm realy glad I found this forum. I have been enjoying reading about all the adventures you guys have with your projects. I am learning a lot, if an old dog like me can still learn anything. One thing for sure, it's keeping me busy. like the wife can't do that. Lol.

One more thing. I realy like the Youtube videos CowPuc, but do some more scoot stuff. Maybe a road trip.

Enjoy the trip, but don't forget where your going.

Rick

@RickRack,, my apologies for having missed this and hopefully you get this before your trial membership expires my friend! Glad to hear your getting to experience the bright/fun side of owning the greatest touring motorcycle of all time.. They are awesome!! I totally understand your thoughts on feeling like you have to work on it continually but I assure you it is not as bad as many of the machines we use to ride back in the early days where these scoots came from,, ever ride a Harley shovel head cross country? Ever spend much time on a snowmobile of that era? :big-grin-emoticon:

Concerning the need of yours for more scoot stuff in my YouTube adVentures,, have you subscribed to my channel and/or clicked on my name "Puc Puc" there and looked back over the years and years of touring nonsense in there :big-grin-emoticon:.. If not,, you really should cause I have documented a ton of touring fun there.. If you have already done that and are simply stating a need for more,, in my case it probably is not going to happen as Cancer has pretty much kicked me off the far ride on the bikes.. About a 1 hour ride is now my limit.. That is where Trooper,, our 2018 Hyundia Hybrid and his ability to instantly become a "mini motorhome" with me sleeping inside as my wife (Tip) slips into the "riders" seat to continue the adVenture came into play. Believe me my friend, NO ONE misses the open road aboard Tweeks,, our 83 MK1 1st Gen, more than I.

The above true story is why you will ALWAYS hear me say in my video's things like "seize the day" or "get out and ride",, simply put - my/your ride time in life comes with no guarentee that tomorrows adVenture is ours to claim.. Do it NOW!! :thumbsup:

P.S. - I never forget where I am going because, when out CTFW, I ride moment by moment with no where to go but on the road before me.. Try this,, its a fun game,, head out on a Month long trip,, get out west past the Rockies where no rain or bugs can interfere with the fun,, now play the coin flip game,, come to an intersection, stop,, flip a coin = heads go right, tails go left and let life decide your journey.. It ALWAYS amazed me the people I met, the things I saw and adventures I found by doing this.. TOTAL FREEDOM, TOTAL ADVENTURE, TOTAL FUN.. Take life as it comes, at least for that month...

I know eh Ben, whenever I read something nice from Puc concerning me; I always wonder what he is setting me up for :Avatars_Gee_George:

By the way I wanted to mention this reminder related to this thread : Gen 1 has the MKl and the MKll for Ventures different engines and different carbs

plus the VMAX's

:big-grin-emoticon:

• 2 weeks later...

So all back together with 127 main jest (all I could find locally) and hey presto, it makes big power now.

It still might be a bit rich at high rpm but it's close.

I have a set of the stock jets (117.5) that I may try at some point or I might take the top back off the airbox or remove the inner baffle ring.

Now I need to find somebody with a stock Venture around here to see if the VMax motor is stronger or not in this configuration. ;)

So all back together with 127 main jest (all I could find locally) and hey presto, it makes big power now.

It still might be a bit rich at high rpm but it's close.

I have a set of the stock jets (117.5) that I may try at some point or I might take the top back off the airbox or remove the inner baffle ring.

Now I need to find somebody with a stock Venture around here to see if the VMax motor is stronger or not in this configuration. ;)

:happy65:

Sounds like your on the right path. There is a pretty big difference between 117 and 127, if you feel it's a little rich up top try a step down and road test again. I went through this with the Vmax, tried several different mains until I had the most violent pull to redline, only then did I start messing with needle clip positions and lower jetting. I think I tried the same three sets a couple times just to find the cleanest pull up high. Small steps in jetting can have a fair impact. I bought 5 or 6 sets of main jets for the Vmax and it took a few swaps and road tests, it's worth it to find the right main jets, lots of extra yank on tap, especially at highway speeds.

Very glad this is going in the right direction!