IGNORED

Amplirider - 2nd Gen and others

Well... finally found a solution to my input problem.

My 2nd gen is running, radio, tape, XM and GPS into it's audio system. For my trip 3 years ago....I wired the XM into the GPS then the GPS to the aux input. This way I could listen to tunes on the SD card in the GPS, or listen to XM, using the GPS's aux input. This way I could always hear the GPS instructions regardless of which of the 2 I listened to.

It worked well...but was a pain in that the GPS had to be installed and turned on. For local running around, that was a pain.

Found amplirider.

http://electric-avenues.com/wp-content/uploads/ar1.jpg

http://electric-avenues.com/amplirider/

Amplirider is a tiny mixer that allows 3 different inputs and then outputs to our aux in on the radio. I connected the power to the spare 12volt plugs I had inside the fairing, courtesy of member Steve, @M61A1MECH. He built the harnesses I use on both bikes to extend the electrical capacity. These things are all running off the 12 volt cig plug under the left side of the fairing. Steve built the harness to tap into that plug from inside the fairing.

BTW, Steve...I need some more 1 into 2 plugs...as I used 1 of the 2 I had left for above. Still need to add my LED lights....

I connected the XM, GPS and Aux in of bike (The little plug inside the tape deck cover. So that input is available as well) into it's each input on the mixer. Plugged in the volume control and ran that under the ignition cover and will velcro it next to the gas cap near where the radio/helmet plug is sitting. So now I can safely run all 3 inputs at the same time...although that would be ridiculous. But knowing I can run the XM and hear the GPS directions...or just listen to XM without even taking the GPS with me is a bonus!

Gary is the man at Amplirider...and he got the unit to me and answered the questions I had without any problems. Did take a while to get from Canada down here, but I attribute that to Covid.

Now if you don't need a remote volume control...order the unit with the volume built in. Match the aux inputs to the radio inputs then walk away. I opted for the external volume so I could adjust as I want...without taking the fairing off. BTW, I'm seriously thinking of taking the volume control out of it's case and mounting it in the fairing. It would be out of the way, out of the weather and still easy to reach over and adjust if needed!

So there ya go. A way to junk up the handlebars even more than normal...but do so with class!

I highly recommend Gary.....BTW, he has a baby amplifier available as well....

Any questions, feel free to PM me...

david

Edited by videoarizona
add

I used a Boosteroo. Had to wire in a 12v to 3v adapter or something to go from 12v to whatever battery input it wanted. Worked great. I still use it in my pick up now for input of aux

• 3 weeks later...

Gary is great to deal with. I have an older version of the Ampli-Rider installed on another bike that I've been using for probably 10 years to mix signals from GPS, radar, and music (either MP3 player or Sirius). Mine has the remote volume control hardwired on both ends. It works well, though I do get some whine/noise that I believe is caused by the GPS, despite adding a noise filter. Some years ago the unit stopped working, so I emailed Gary about it. He had me send it to him, whereupon he fixed it and sent it right back with terrific communications.

I originally had the volume control mounted in a dash fairing that I drilled a small hole through just so the threaded part under the knob stuck through and then was held in place by the retaining nut on top (with the knob in place above that). Worked well and was a clean/neat install. I later moved it to just underneath the left switch pod and attached it with two-way tape for automotive applications. I love it there as the knob extends out just enough that I can use my index finger to easily raise/lower the volume without ever taking my hand off the grip or eyes off the road.

Good product and good maker/seller.

• Like 1