IGNORED

Another Cruise Control Issue 2006 RSV

2006 RSV

I ran a search for cruise control issues but did not see this particular problem mentioned in any of 20 or 30 that I read through.

The bike is new to me and I have not done any digging into this yet.

When the cruise control is enabled and I am in the right gear and above the minimum speed, I hit the "set" button, the proper indicator lights up and it feels like it engages. Then in a second or so, the bike starts to accelerate on it's own.

Any idea what the likely issue is?

Richard,

Does it continue to accelerate? How much faster? Does the unit cut out at 5 over or 5 under? Does it hold any speed?

There are two things I can think of that can cause that...

1. Cables not adjusted properly. If the vacuum pump has to pull more than it should to get to the right speed, then it will overshoot. Could be something as simple as a misadjusted or loose cable.

2. Speedo problem.

If you are talking about the 2nd gen, my speedo has never been linear. It jumps as it goes up and down the scale. Unlike the 1st gen's mechanical speedo, the second gen is a sensor driven electronic unit...fully adjustable, BTW to eliminate any error. So not sure if that could be a problem.

I would download the manual for the 2nd gen...and do the speedo tests. You use the gas gauge and follow the directions to test the unit.

Try that out. Meanwhile do some more tests and let us know what you have found.

Yes, second gen. RSV

The speedo is adjustable via onboard system? I thought a DRD or speedo healer was necessary to adjust for the offset.

I have the Clymer's maint manual but not the factor service manual. I'll take a look to see if the speedo tests are in the Clymer's book.

My 2009 cruise control is not an "instant on". It takes a second or two to engage. I set it, let go of the throttle and it backs off. I set it and hold the throttle a couple of seconds. Once engaged it functions great. The delay was a pain but now I have just adjusted to it.

• Like 1

My 2009 cruise control is not an "instant on". It takes a second or two to engage. I set it, let go of the throttle and it backs off. I set it and hold the throttle a couple of seconds. Once engaged it functions great. The delay was a pain but now I have just adjusted to it.

I have that same thing happening with my '86.

The '06 feels like it engages with little or no delay but then starts accelerating. I'll play around with it on the trip home this afternoon and see if it ever stops accelerating and holds stead at any speed.

Guest divey

Ditto on my 08

Here's what I found on the ride home.

Cruise on all three lights come on then go out. When I get into 4th gear and 30mph the bottom light comes on. When I press the set rocker, the set light comes on. There is a slight delay and then the cruise kicks in and accelerates to set point but then continues to accelerate. It accelerates smoothly up to 80mph indicated then kind of surges a bit but never goes over 80mph or disengages. The decelerate rocker works but as soon as you release it she accelerates right back up to 80mph. the clutch switch, front brake switch, rear brake switch and cancel button all cancel the cruise control. Withe the reset light lit, the reset button does nothing.

The Clymer manual does have the onboard diagnostic procedure but it is a bit confusing on one point. At one point it says to press and hold the cancel button while alternately pressing the set/reset buttons. Then it says you should have rocked the cancel button 4 times. This seems contradictory to me. Has anyone run this diagnostic before? Can you clarify this for me?

Further to Videoarizona's reply. He mentions the 2nd Gen speedo running off a sensor, then adds it's adjustable. I haven't come across any information on "adjusting" the sensor. The Service Manual details how to diagnose any problems with the c/c system, but I haven't seen anything about adjusting it to correct the actual speed readout. Where would I find that info?

The bike speedo is approx 10% out at any given speed, yet the odometer registers fractionally more than actual. It's not critical as I use my GPS speedo, but one of those nagging little things.

Don't mean to hijack the thread, but it came up.

Papa Fred

Yep...my apologies. I didn't mean to imply that you could adjust the speedo on the bike. I use the Speedo DRD and have found it to be very dependable and accurate. Been on 2 bikes so far and works well....I mounted mine under the seat. The connector for the rear end sensor is near there.

Sounds like the throttle cables need some adjustment or something there is out of wack. I say this because the cruise will automagically shut off when 5 mph over the speed set or 5mph under. Since yours is going to 80mph (which is the max you can set the speedo to) without shutting down....I'm going with the cable problem. My guess anyway. Other wise, the system "seems" to be operating properly....

Go through and pull each connector in the system, clean and re-seat. Pull the sensor plug on the rear end...left side with wire coming out. Clean both electrical side and mechanical side (sensor) and put back in. Snug it, don't crank it down hard. I don't remember if there is a set tightness.

My 05 is 150 miles away otherwise I would go and film the diagnostic procedure for you. Yea I know...what is it doing there? I rode it up there so my buddy and I could ride northern Arizona mountains in the Spring. Covid put an end to that fun. So there it sits until Fall. Maybe I can get some mountain runs then! Otherwise I'll bring her home and play down here in Southern AZ.

Hope this helps...

• 2 years later...

Howdy,

I just acquired a 2006 RSTD in very nice condition and it has the exact same problem as the original poster: when you turn cruise control on and then click on the Set button it accelerates to 80 miles an hour.

Has anyone found the official fix for this besides just unplug and clean all connections?

Thank you very much!

4 hours ago, BeeBee said:

Howdy,

I just acquired a 2006 RSTD in very nice condition and it has the exact same problem as the original poster: when you turn cruise control on and then click on the Set button it accelerates to 80 miles an hour.

Has anyone found the official fix for this besides just unplug and clean all connections?

Thank you very much!

My '06 has a similar problem. I'm not sure it stops accelerating at 80 mph, I've never let it get that far.

I haven't even started trouble shooting yet.

I was playing with the cruise control a bit more yesterday and out of perhaps 10 times trying to get it to work, it worked three times and each time I had to tap the set button multiple times and take my hand off the throttle quickly.  The other seven times it accelerated to 80 and could not even be canceled by using the Cancel button; I had to turn the cruise control off entirely.

When it did work it was strange to feel the throttle auto-turning when the cruise control was on (at least I think that's what I felt).  IMHO a nice throttle lock like this one that I had on a previous bike (https://www.amazon.com/GUAIMI-Throttle-Universal-Motorcycles-Diameter/dp/B07Z94M2S6/ref=sr_1_13?crid=2GF7M6AG2PJLQ&keywords=throttle+lock&qid=1668086387&sprefix=throttle+lock%2Caps%2C153&sr=8-13) is a better option because you can adjust the throttle once it's locked and you can rest your hand on the grip without having to twist the throttle.  That throttle lock looks weird but it's easy to engage and disengage and it was rock-solid on several long trips I took.

Of course I'd like to try the stock cruise control without the issues I'm experiencing.

Have fun!

• 2 weeks later...

Did you follow through on the vacuum test? Is the problem electrical or mechanical? Do you have vacuum leak in CC system or anywhere else?

Did you try setting the cruise at speed then immediately hitting the resume button? Sometimes that helps it lock in faster. Ie, ,"set", "resume".

Is there a self test built into system? I don't remember and didn't look through the manual. Doing this by memory.

Edited by videoarizona