IGNORED

1st World Problems! Decisions, decisions!

luvmy40

That 06 looks just like my old one, Corbin seat and all. That seat gets you a good 2" closer to the ground and makes you feel like you fit "in" the bike not "on" it. Think you will love that bike and seat once you get use to it.

Craig

That 06 looks just like my old one, Corbin seat and all. That seat gets you a good 2" closer to the ground and makes you feel like you fit "in" the bike not "on" it. Think you will love that bike and seat once you get use to it.

Craig

I went back to the OEM pillow top seat today. I don't hate the Corbin, but Kris does. Happy wife = happy life! I also went back to the OEM height wind screen. With the shorty screen, the eddies are ripping my shades off at anything above 55 mph.

I will have to do the clutch upgrade soon as well. She's fine for normal running but if I down shift and twist her tail the RPMs go through the roof and the rear tire slowly catches up. I'm not complaining. With nearly 100k miles on the clock, a new set of clutches is minor.

Kent told me the valves have never been serviced, on the recommendation of his service shop and she starts right up and idles smooth with only a minute or so of choke from cold and none needed after sitting for an hour an a half.

I bought Skydoc's 2nd gen clutch upgrade kit.

Excellent. Piece of cake to install.

No more waiting for rear tires to catch up and clutch pull is only a touch harder. Not like Barnet kit that would kill my hands.

Tweeksis has a full Barnett swap in her,, works great and holds rock solid thru every gear all the way out to redline in each gear with absolutely no slippage even two up with a full on touring load ripping up the biggest of mountain pass.. Only issue I have, other than noting exactly what videoarizona mentions about the stiffer pull than OEM, is that the clutch engagement is moved way out to the end of the clutch lever throw and is not as user friendly for those of us who utilize the friction zone technique for slow riding.. It is still doable but its a much more precise engagement,, sort of like using a micrometer instead of a c-clamp :missingtooth:.. Personally,, having been in both worlds,, I would do like Vaz mentions first if I were chasing down clutch slippage issues cause I really like the "feel" of the 1/2 plate buffer OEM clutch setup that can make a pro slowrider out of even a wanna be like me.. IMHO,, Mom Yam was on the right track with the OEM design,, just needed to let Skydoc design the spring rate is all..:thumbsup:

Either way it's "winner, winner, chicken dinner"" but I do like that blue/gray gen 1 as more classic. AND my current ride is an 06 bc. Both of those are sharp.

The '86 is actually the Sable Brown/Light Birch color scheme.

After putting a couple hundred miles on the pillow top seat, I have ordered a rider's back rest and am considering whether or not Beauty is going to see enough road time to justify keeping both.

BTW, I ordered Earl's clutch upgrade kit and friction plates. I figure at 98k mi. It'd be foolish to not replace the discs when I do the upgrade.

I drove out to Indiana, Pennsylvania yesterday to meet dfitzbiz and pick up the clam shell trailer he had posted for sale. Then I contacted M16A1MECH for some education and ordered his 5 to 4 pin trailer wiring conversion.

I have to get the trailer weighed before I can register it, install the wiring harness and clutches before the NY Rally. All that, and I'm going to be travelling for work come Monday for an unknown duration. Hopefully only a couple of days.

Edited by luvmy40

The only other thing I highly recommend is the ignition bypass harness. For some silly reason, Yamaha ran way to much current through the ignition switch. This simple plug and play harness sends only the ignition stuff through the switch... Saving the switch from burning up the contacts.

Dion.. @djh3 makes them.

Take off tank and connect up. Another easy installation!