IGNORED

1998 Royal Star tyre pressures

G'day All,

Being a Cruiser style Bike Newbie I have no idea what tyre pressures I should be running for two-up riding?

I did a search with no definitive results. And I haven't got the original Owners Manual.

Cheers William.

G'day All,

Being a Cruiser style Bike Newbie I have no idea what tyre pressures I should be running for two-up riding?

I did a search with no definitive results. And I haven't got the original Owners Manual.

Cheers William.

G'Day Mate!! How's life down under?? You mentioning heading out CTFW (chasing the front wheel) with your lady on the back sounds like a BLAST! I would LOVE to grab Tippy and Tweeks (our 83),, toss on the tent and ride the Aussie Outback - just sounds awesome!!:clap2::dancefool::thumbsup:

Anyway Willy,, back to your question.. Personally I never really put much stock in owners manual suggestions for air pressures,, especially if I am running a different tire than the exact type/brand/size as came OEM on the scoot.. I prefer to go by the stamp on the side of the tire I am working with AND what I am going to be doing with the tire = i.e.,, what type of riding I am going to be doing.. For riding wheelies and/or off road riding I like to drop down the air pressures for maximum contact area.. For on road riding I like to look carefully at the max psi for max load of the tire and go from there.. Two up, fully loaded for cross country touring, especially in a high temp area I like to move close to max pressure on the tire.. I figure anything I can do to keep the tire from heating up under hot tarmac conditions is a plus in my favor.. Most of the tires I have mounted and had the honor of running the rubber off from in the last decades of riding have had max pressure at max load of 50 psi.. I will run the rear tire when touring at 46 pounds knowing that I am still under max load on that rear tire.. If (and this has happened) we do end up hauling a bunch of heavy stuff home with us,, I am never afraid to hit the tire with max pressure of 50 psi.. On a cruiser such as you are talking about (we are talking RSTD correct?),, being a lighter bike,, I may consider dropping that down to 42ish psi but,, I have also ran many many thousands of miles 1 up with my MK1 and left the psi at 46 and been very happy with the outcome.. In all honesty,, front tire not that much different,, maybe 4 or 5 pounds difference.. Another thing to note IMHO is that these adjustments should be done with the tire "Cold" as normally stated right on the side of the tire,, meaning before the tire has been ran on during the day.. I have seen tire readings on my scoots out in the desert regions to actually add 8 or 10 pounds as they heat up putting them well above the stated max psi on the sidewall.. This has never been a concern to me as I know what I started with "cold".. What would be of alarm would be if the tire was hot and I had actually stayed at my "cold" psi or dropped some - in that case I would be looking for a leak..

I know,, lots of opinion in the above but its my opinion that I live by.. Do to improper inflation I have lost a couple friends thru the years and seen many accidents,, both cars and bikes, and know of many situations in truck fleet (semi's) maintenance of the same cause that could have been totally avoided by the operators just keeping track of their air pressures and guess what,, not ONE of those incidences of tire issues were the result of over inflation..

IMHO,, go by what the engineers of the manufacturers of the tires suggest and you will be fine..

Have fun out there Mate!!

Puc