IGNORED

Learning About My RSV

I checked the RSV's air filters yesterday. I wasn't even sure where they were and didn't know there were two of them. If I counted correctly, there are 26 screws or bolts that have to be removed or loosened in the case of the air inlet clamps, two rubber grommets, and one push pin to deal with. But, now I know how to remove them. I also changed the rear gears lube and adjusted the back rest. This occurred after getting the rear brake to work and flushing the front brakes. Time to ride it to the inspection station in order to get a new license plate sticker.

Still haven't changed the coolant. The manual tells you to remove lots of stuff to get to the engine plugs. I just want to drain the radiator and refill. I see the drain plug but how much stuff do I have to remove to get to the fill cap? The manual just states to use ethylene glycol coolant. Is there a particular coolant that is needed? Can I use the long life or the stuff that needs changing every two years? Thanks!

I change mine every two years and use a coolant suitable for aluminum radiators. Simply remove the fuel tank to get to the coolant fill. I always take the fake cooling fins off the sides of the engine as they are really easy to do. A spark plug has the correct threads on the top to thread into the coolant plugs. Just thread it in and giver 'er a yank. I use a piece of a plastic one gallon milk container to fashion somewhat of a shield to place under the location of the coolant plug as I pull them out to mitigate the spilling of coolant down the side of the engine. I don't mess with draining it at the water pump since there is such a small amount there. I also take the plastic overflow bottle out to dump the coolant and rinse it as well.

I rode the RSV to the inspection station and then out and about putting about 50 miles on it. It's running well. The ride would be more pleasant without the gear whine/chirp but overall it's a great bike I think.