IGNORED

Throttle Position Sensor

Barnacle442

I have a 1999 Royal Star Boulevard, XVZ13AL, and I am having issues. Last fall it died; left me stranded on the side of the road 90 miles from home. I used this as an excuse to buy a new bike, (new to me,) a 2008 RSV-S. Love that Yammie! But I still love my big, heavy, Royal Blue sled and I want to fix her.

I have her in the garage, now. She'll start. She'll idle, but when you twist the throttle she coughs and sputters and dies. Everything and everyone says fuel problem. Last spring I had the carbs rebuilt and the 20 year old manifolds replaced so I don't think its that. I have pulled the fuel pump (which works just fine). I have replaced the fuel filter which was a bit of a pain. I replaced all of my hoses, (even the ones which are no longer made.) I hung an Auxiliary bottle and tried running it on gravity. The problem remains.

Yesterday I removed the Carbs from the manifolds. That was when I noticed the Throttle Position Sensor. I did not realize there was a TPS on my bike. I don't have fuel injection and I don't have cruise control. Can anyone tell me about the TPS on the Royal Star? What does it do? Could it be causing my pain? Do I really have to pay 200 buckaroonies to replace it if its bad? Is it somehow tied to my ignition?

I have tried searching through the forums for info on this topic but have been unable to find any answers. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks