IGNORED

Help with balancing the top heaviness of my 2009 RSV

dalesocha

Hey fellow RSV owners / riders out there!

I have a 2009 Royal Star Venture and I was told by firebird that raising the height of the fork-Tee would help, instead of lowering it???

I dont really need to lower the back as I am a tall rider. Ive had this bike for 6 years and haven't been riding as much as I used too.

I really would like some fun wind time with the wifey this summer.

Now listen Im about as dumb as a box of rocks when it comes to mechanical things like RED my RSV.

So if anyone has any suggestions can you take a picture and explain how and what to do?

Im a retired electrical / general contractor and can install or fix anything in a house, not my truck or my bike.......

Thanks for what ever you can suggest.

It may help more other RSV riders also.

Thanks

Dale Socha

My experience has been that different tires give a different feel during low speed maneuvering. It doesn't’ eliminate the top heaviness altogether. When I put Avon venom’s on my 06 RSV, it felt more nimble. I don’ recall what tires were on it when I bought it.

My 2 cents

Sure,, make sure your tire pressures are adequate, your neck bearings are lubed and adjusted properly and find a parking lot and practice practice practice (IMHO of course):

1st time we ever tried with an RSV 2nd Gen as you are asking about Dale - hope this helps (once again, please remember this is soley IMHO my friend):

Slow speed handling is improved by raising the rear slightly or lowering the front. The smaller front tire will do the same but you may sacrifice some stability at highway speeds. If you are taller, the raising of the rear would seem to make sense over the other two options. None of these will make it great but it is what most of us have done. (lowering the front is the easiest since you just slide the front forks up in the triple tree)

The rear is raised by shortening the "dog bone" links in the rear suspension. They can be fabricated and there be some that members have already made for purchase. There is procedure described in the tech section for both making them and installing them.

Sure,, make sure your tire pressures are adequate, your neck bearings are lubed and adjusted properly and find a parking lot and practice practice practice (IMHO of course):

1st time we ever tried with an RSV 2nd Gen as you are asking about Dale - hope this helps (once again, please remember this is soley IMHO my friend):

Inspiring!

Thanks

Have E3s on my 08, brought the tire pressure up to max, so I run 40psi, slow ride was much improved and tire wear seems even and good, have 40km on them so far with lots of life left, was going to change front to 130 but didn’t want to sacrifice high speed handling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had a 130/90-16 tire (Michelin Commander II) mounted on the front last summer, and it completely improved the handling manners of the bike at low speed. I would say that stability in curves or wind above 130Km/h is slightly reduced with that tire size, but mounting a smaller windscreen helped with the latter part.

Has anyone removed the tape deck, amp and speakers from their fairing? How did it change the bike's handling?

I removed the tape deck on a '99 and replace it with instruments. Probably about the same weight so wouldn't have helped in regards to what you are asking. I will say though that the tape deck, amp, and speakers weigh very little and I doubt you would notice any difference.

Lowering the front or raising the rear both effect fork angle/rake. Having said that generally speaking decreased fork angle normally improves low speed handling and cornering, while increased fork angle improves high speed handling. Just food for thought.

If loading your bike try loading heavy stuff like tools etc. Low down in your saddlebags keeping lighter stuff near the top. As a last desparate resort you could toss a brick or twoo in the bottom of each saddle bag.

More than anything which I found is just learn to alter your riding style to suit the bike such as maintaining a more upright posture while allowing the bike to lean under you. By this you tend to counter balance the bike. The slower you are moving the more upright you maintain your posture. The faster you go the more you lean with the bike.

Edited by saddlebum

IMG_20150815_103552_862.jpg

This is my 05 RSV. Lowered my shocks about 1 inch. Made sure the valves were pointed out so I can get to them. Other than taking the front end apart (which is easy), lowering the front forks was a piece of cake. Found instructions and pictures on this site. Searched the forums.

Much nicer handling. cowpucs video above where he is slow riding on the beach parking lot ...he's using my bike. No issues with cables. Everything else is stock. And yea...the bike was still packed from my trip. I also added risers as I needed the pull back for my arms. You can see them as well....

Edited by videoarizona
add

Hey fellow RSV owners / riders out there!

I have a 2009 Royal Star Venture and I was told by firebird that raising the height of the fork-Tee would help, instead of lowering it???

I dont really need to lower the back as I am a tall rider. Ive had this bike for 6 years and haven't been riding as much as I used too.

I really would like some fun wind time with the wifey this summer.

Now listen Im about as dumb as a box of rocks when it comes to mechanical things like RED my RSV.

So if anyone has any suggestions can you take a picture and explain how and what to do?

Im a retired electrical / general contractor and can install or fix anything in a house, not my truck or my bike.......

Thanks for what ever you can suggest.

It may help more other RSV riders also.

Thanks

Dale Socha

Now that @videoarizona recalled my attention to this thread (see his post above) it suddenly dawned on me on a reread of the thread that we are talking about riding 2 up and not a lone rider.. Thought I might also add that, IMHO, the passenger's skills in two up riding is just as important to stability as those of the varmints whose hands are on the grips.. I strongly recommend that once your parking lot slow speed practicing is to your satisfaction that practice practice practice while fully loaded for touring and with rider on back be part two..

IMHO, two up riding is just that,, two people applying their combined skills as motorcyclist to bring about a fulfilling, successful, memorable CTFW experience for both parties..

Dale,

Sorry..I missed the part that said you are tall. You don't want to lower the front end. You DO want to raise the rear. You need leveling links that will bolt right on raising the rear about 1 inch. That should allow you to flat foot it with both feet down when stopped as well as change the geometry of the bike, making the steering effort less.

Here is a link from another site that includes pics of how he did it. Now this guy made his own links....

http://www.venturers.org/Tech_Library/index.php?action=article&cat_id=002013&id=252

Just found this on EBAY

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Yamaha-XVZ1300-Royal-Star-Venture-Jack-Up-Kit-1999-2013-Dogbones-Links-Linkage/230445213165?epid=1250580399&hash=item35a79ae5ed:g:azkAAOSwfaBazhYQ

I know we have info on this site with pics as well...just couldn't find it.

hope this helps...

Edited by videoarizona
add

I dropped my 09 RSV 3 times inside of 500 miles. Never rolling, but always at a stop. They are top heavy but the thought of picking it up kept me aware. Practice, practice, practice. I'm 5 10 and 77 yrs old. Man, I don't want continue picking it up.

I dropped my 09 RSV 3 times inside of 500 miles. Never rolling, but always at a stop. They are top heavy but the thought of picking it up kept me aware. Practice, practice, practice. I'm 5 10 and 77 yrs old. Man, I don't want continue picking it up.

Might be time to consider a trike or a Can-am.

I love my Venture, but wife's pushing me hard to get a Can-am.

Might be time to consider a trike or a Can-am.

I love my Venture, but wife's pushing me hard to get a Can-am.

LOL, it's been over a year since I last dropped it. I had a chance to ride a Can Am a few yrs ago. Still has the wind in the face but I miss the lean into the curves feel. I'm sure my wife would appreciate one. My pension is now 22 yrs old. That hurts compared to today's costs. $5000 RSV vs Cam Am. RSV for a long time.