IGNORED

Repair Kit for 86-93 Venture fuel Petcock

That "repair kit" only includes various gaskets, so replacing the gaskets would have no affect on a sticking petcock.

The petcock is a tapered plug with a passage hole. The tapered bore tends to grab the tapered valve slug. Cleaning, lubricating and perhaps polishing the bore should enable easier operation of the petcock.

(my pictures reflect the parts of the 1983 (without reserve and without an operation knob, but the principle is the same on all Venture petcocks.

1983 fuel petcock 1e.jpg1983 fuel petcock 1h.jpg1983 fuel petcock 1f.jpg

Partzilla sells the Yamaha o-rings. That kit is probably made in china since it doesn't say. I'd want Japanese or OE parts. I bought K&L carb parts that were okay that were made in Japan. Today I read a post on the kawasaki forum from a Kawa ZN1100 owner. He said he rebuilt his petcock several times before he bought Japanese parts and repaired it to last. He was adamant about not using chinese parts.

I live in mortal fear that I will forget to close the fuel petcock on my 99 RSV and damage the engine. My petcock started leaking and was very hard to turn off. I also looked for a repair kit but did not like the prices I was finding on E Bay. I own a 1995 Yamaha Virago 750 that has a vacuum operated fuel petcock, this same valve is also on a 1100 Virago. I have had this valve on my Virago for 25 years with no problems. I cross referenced the valve to tank gaskets and mounting screws Virago to RSV and all were the same part numbers. So all you have to do is hook up a vacuum source from carb manifold to fuel valve and do not worry about hydro lock any more. This valve also has a on -off- reserve and prime function. My 2011 V Star has a similar type but different configuration vacuum fuel valve. So do your homework and cross reference all the bits and pieces to be sure this will work for you.

Mike