Canada
    AB
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Developed Odd Engine Noise

I hope this Youtube link works. First time I've tried it.

2008 RSV (triked) with 69,000 kilometres. Have a listen to the slight knocking sound that has developed in my engine. You can hear it clearly over the rumble of the mufflers, it's kind of like three rapid knocks together with a break and then three together and so on. The knock does not show up until the engine is warm (after a run on the highway), is most noticeable on the left side of the engine, does not change sound when the clutch lever is engaged and the engine oil is fresh and showing properly in the sight window. I just synced the carbs which made no difference to the knock. Obviously I can't hear the knock at highway speed but presumably it doesn't go away. Fuel mileage and performance has not changed at all since developing the knock. Otherwise, the engine is running as smoothly as it ever has.

Would appreciate some suggestions from you 2nd Gen experts as to what the cause might be.

Thanks....Doug
    "The smallest act of kindness trumps the greatest of intentions"

2. Likes DaNetFlunky liked this post
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Developed Odd Engine Noise

Yes, my 08 venture does that sometimes. I would be very interested to know why.

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

4. Thanks divey gave thanks for this post
    United States
    MI
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    652 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wowzy wow wow wow Son-shine,, you sure enough came up with a good one here.. Good on ya!! With all this craziness going on about virus's and riots and stuff,, kind of good of you to get your old Dad to rack his brain some about bikes.. Almost sounds like your fuel pump coming on momentarily to fill the carbs maybe.. Then again, it almost sounds vacuumish or something.. I think I would pick up a cheapy stethascope from HF (got one hanging in the basement,, wish you were here,, we'd figure it out) or somewhere and see if I could pin point exactly where its coming from.. IMHO, it is way to consistant to be a dry bearing or one spinning a race,, those tend to be more random.. You DEFINITELY gotta let us know what it is when you find it!!
    Dad
    TIP AND PUC'S MILLION MILE VENTURE adVENTURE FOR OUR adVENTURES AND REPAIR ADVICE SEARCH YOUTUBE: PUC PUC AND TWEEKS

6. Thanks divey gave thanks for this post
    United States
    MI
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I think you've got something a bit loose (external to the engine) that is resonating with the engine vibration. How does the sound change if you change the engine RPM?

1989 Venture Royale (Sold)
    1982 XJ650 (Sold)

8. Thanks divey gave thanks for this post
    Canada
    ON
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    126 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd be all over the stethoscope idea to pinpoint the noise, and would start with listening to the stator cover, and yes there could be something loose elsewhere maybe (Carls got to stick together). There has been instances where the stator bolts have come loose.
    Gonna miss all you guys and gals
    at the

Rally @ T h e S h o r e s
    July 16-19th 2020

10. Thanks divey gave thanks for this post
    Texas
    TX
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would do the stethescope thing as well. I would also crack open the oil check-bolt (oil-gallery bolt) which easy and only takes seconds to make sure you are getting oil to the top end.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	OilG.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	80.2 KB 
ID:	119072

12. Thanks divey gave thanks for this post
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The sound puts me in mind of the sounds a hollow tube and plunger would make. Hmmm, now keep in mind I'm not an engine mechanic, but would a non firing cylinder be capable of making that noise? If so, how could you tell/test?

14. Thanks divey gave thanks for this post
    Canada
    AB
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cowpuc View Post
    Wowzy wow wow wow Son-shine,, you sure enough came up with a good one here.. Good on ya!! With all this craziness going on about virus's and riots and stuff,, kind of good of you to get your old Dad to rack his brain some about bikes.. Almost sounds like your fuel pump coming on momentarily to fill the carbs maybe.. Then again, it almost sounds vacuumish or something.. I think I would pick up a cheapy stethascope from HF (got one hanging in the basement,, wish you were here,, we'd figure it out) or somewhere and see if I could pin point exactly where its coming from.. IMHO, it is way to consistant to be a dry bearing or one spinning a race,, those tend to be more random.. You DEFINITELY gotta let us know what it is when you find it!!
    Dad
    Thanks for the reply Dad. Fuel pump clicks are consistent with the pump activating correctly when the key is turned on. No change in the clicks and pump seems to be fine. Stethascope was a great idea but unfortunately when I took it out for a run to get the engine warmed up, the knock was not as noticeable as on the video and I couldn't seem to get it to replicate the sound. Despite that, I placed the stethoscope all over the various engine parts and I couldn't isolate the knock sound in any one area of the engine. Specifically, holding it on the stator cover didn't indicate any better or worse sound.

Quote Originally Posted by MiCarl View Post
    I think you've got something a bit loose (external to the engine) that is resonating with the engine vibration. How does the sound change if you change the engine RPM?
    That's a good suggestion Carl. I checked the obvious areas that I might have something loose but I don't think that's the problem. As I mentioned to Puc, I couldn't seem to replicate the knock today but sitting in the driveway and increasing the rpm didn't make any difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Du-Rron View Post
    I would do the stethescope thing as well. I would also crack open the oil check-bolt (oil-gallery bolt) which easy and only takes seconds to make sure you are getting oil to the top end.

https://www.venturerider.org/forum/a...hmentid=119072
    Thanks for the suggestion on the oil-gallery bolt. Question about that though. Is the oil-gallery bolt the small screw with the Phillips head (it's also an 8mm bolt) or is it the large bolt that sits on top in the picture? I tried loosening the small 8mm bolt and can only get it to turn less than a quarter turn. Dead stop indicating that it's not intended to unscrew any further. I tried with a Phillips screwdriver first and couldn't get it to budge so I put the 8mm socket on it and was able to make the small turn. I was hesitant to put too much twist on it which makes me wonder if the large top bolt isn't what they refer to as the oil-gallery bolt. I searched the various manuals and it doesn't clarify it other than the picture and description you sent me. Have you loosened yours off and if so, small or large bolt?

Quote Originally Posted by DaNetFlunky View Post
    The sound puts me in mind of the sounds a hollow tube and plunger would make. Hmmm, now keep in mind I'm not an engine mechanic, but would a non firing cylinder be capable of making that noise? If so, how could you tell/test?

Not sure about a dead cylinder but all 4 of mine are firing and pipes heating up evenly suggesting all 4 are good. Carb sync confirmed that.

I'll take it out again tomorrow for a good run and see if I can replicate the knock again and try again with the stethoscope. Thanks for all the suggestions.

Doug

16. Thanks cowpuc gave thanks for this post
    Likes cowpuc liked this post
    United States
    FL
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My 98 Tour Classic had a noise like that that turned out to be the water pump, I had an issue where the oil was getting in the coolant, turned out it was bad seal on the driven shaft on the water pump. Once the water pump was rebuilt the noise went away. Take your stethoscope and check on the lower right side at the water pump cover and see if you can hear it there.
    Steve K
    Edgewater , FL
    And the LORD said "Thou shalt have dominion over all of the animals, Except of course the cat."

DR. Goldwing; has the antidote for the blues

18. Thanks divey, cowpuc gave thanks for this post
    Likes DaNetFlunky, cowpuc liked this post
    Canada
    AB
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by M61A1MECH View Post
    My 98 Tour Classic had a noise like that that turned out to be the water pump, I had an issue where the oil was getting in the coolant, turned out it was bad seal on the driven shaft on the water pump. Once the water pump was rebuilt the noise went away. Take your stethoscope and check on the lower right side at the water pump cover and see if you can hear it there.
    Thanks Steve for this. I'll give that a try tomorrow hopefully.
    Doug

United States
    NH
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I had an 06 RSV several years ago that developed a sound like that only not as loud. I even posted about here way back then. I checked all over the engine with a stethoscope many many times and did notice the noise was present at the water pump like M61A1MECH mentioned, but the again, the noise was present at the clutch. There was no oil in the coolant or coolant in the oil though. I rode it countless miles like that. Ran great. Finally sold it after getting a super great deal on a low mileage 08 RSV. Never did find out what the problem was.

You got me curious now. Can't wait to see what you find out.

21. Thanks divey gave thanks for this post
    Texas
    TX
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by divey View Post
    Would appreciate some suggestions from you 2nd Gen experts as to what the cause might be.

Thanks....Doug
    The oil check bold is the phillips-hexhead screw.

23. Thanks divey gave thanks for this post
    United States
    MN
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi Doug how are you doing? Hope the carb synch tool is working for you.
    That is a strange noise. Could be water pump bearing, not sure. Don't think I have ever heard that noise on any of my Ventures. Good luck finding it.

Canada
    AB
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sldunker View Post
    Hi Doug how are you doing? Hope the carb synch tool is working for you.
    That is a strange noise. Could be water pump bearing, not sure. Don't think I have ever heard that noise on any of my Ventures. Good luck finding it.
    Thanks Steve. Doing well here and staying healthy. Hope you are too. The carb sync tool is great. Canít believe Iíve paid dealerships that much money for such a simple task. Yes itís a strange noise but hopefully will get to the bottom of it eventually. Doug

26. Likes cowpuc liked this post
    United States
    OR
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My first impression is external to the motor. My buddy and I were on our first IRON butt and he heard a sound like that and it was not rpm connected. He has a Harley. Turns out it was the rear exhaust manifold rubbing against the cylinder.the bolt(s) holding exhaust pipe had rattled loose and dropped off somewhere on the freeway. Unfortunately the exhaust heat burned up some wiring which ended up costing him $1000ís to fix. With a thick glove hold on to parts connected to the engine and see if the sound disappears.
    Good luck
    VentureFar...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    VentureFar...
    IBA 55699
    6/ 8/ 2013 1054 miles in 21 Hours
    12/ 29/ 2013 1024 miles in 17 Hours - why 2? really want that Mile Eater IBA Shirt

28. Likes cowpuc liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast