User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 16 to 22 of 22

Thread: Developed Odd Engine Noise

  1. #16
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Leduc
    Posts
    14,895
    Canada
    AB
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Developed Odd Engine Noise

    Quote Originally Posted by M61A1MECH View Post
    My 98 Tour Classic had a noise like that that turned out to be the water pump, I had an issue where the oil was getting in the coolant, turned out it was bad seal on the driven shaft on the water pump. Once the water pump was rebuilt the noise went away. Take your stethoscope and check on the lower right side at the water pump cover and see if you can hear it there.
    Quote Originally Posted by grubsie View Post
    I had an 06 RSV several years ago that developed a sound like that only not as loud. I even posted about here way back then. I checked all over the engine with a stethoscope many many times and did notice the noise was present at the water pump like M61A1MECH mentioned, but the again, the noise was present at the clutch. There was no oil in the coolant or coolant in the oil though. I rode it countless miles like that. Ran great. Finally sold it after getting a super great deal on a low mileage 08 RSV. Never did find out what the problem was.

    You got me curious now. Can't wait to see what you find out.
    Quote Originally Posted by sldunker View Post
    Hi Doug how are you doing? Hope the carb synch tool is working for you.
    That is a strange noise. Could be water pump bearing, not sure. Don't think I have ever heard that noise on any of my Ventures. Good luck finding it.
    Quote Originally Posted by VentureFar View Post
    My first impression is external to the motor. My buddy and I were on our first IRON butt and he heard a sound like that and it was not rpm connected. He has a Harley. Turns out it was the rear exhaust manifold rubbing against the cylinder.the bolt(s) holding exhaust pipe had rattled loose and dropped off somewhere on the freeway. Unfortunately the exhaust heat burned up some wiring which ended up costing him $1000ís to fix. With a thick glove hold on to parts connected to the engine and see if the sound disappears.
    Good luck
    VentureFar...


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Took it out for a long ride this morning. Unfortunately, or maybe fortunately, there was no knock noticeable during the ride or when I got back home and into the garage. I did once again use the stethoscope, focusing on the water pump area but nothing significant noted. I'm at a bit of a loss but it's possible that it's something loose underneath (exhaust or otherwise) as Neil mentioned. I'll continue to diagnose the knock (when and if it returns) and post a reply.

    Thanks to all who offered up suggestions......Doug
    "The smallest act of kindness trumps the greatest of intentions"

  2. Thanks cowpuc, WeeWilly gave thanks for this post
    Likes cowpuc, WeeWilly liked this post
  3. #17
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    HERE AND THERE
    Posts
    19,188
    United States
    MI
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    656 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Developed Odd Engine Noise

    divey ,, Son-shine,, just for clarity sake I wanted to give your thread a bump here.. I know,, I am old nnd often confused easily in this old age thing,,, it's a fatherly thing Son
    The water pump thought, as mentioned by Steve, was actually the first thing that popped into my mind as I have heard a very similar noise from my 1st Gens water pump thru the years on more than one occasion.. Matter of fact,, the original Tweeks actually did that for thousands of miles,, I called it her water pump chirp.. I carried a spare water pump assembly in her maintenance dept. for years just in case but that day of need ever came but it didnt..
    Anyway,, the reason I did not double think it in your case was you mentioned being on the left side of the bike with the left side noted as the side the sound was coming from.. Son,, right or wrong, in my world,, I have always considered the left side of a motorcycle being mentioned as meaning the left side as if one were sitting on the bike.. Is/was this what you were/are to? Left side meaning the noise was/is coming from the same side of the bike as where your shifter/stator/driveshaft are located?

    Always something ain't it

    Dad
    TIP AND PUC'S MILLION MILE VENTURE adVENTURE FOR OUR adVENTURES AND REPAIR ADVICE SEARCH YOUTUBE: PUC PUC AND TWEEKS

  4. #18
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Leduc
    Posts
    14,895
    Canada
    AB
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Developed Odd Engine Noise

    Quote Originally Posted by cowpuc View Post
    divey ,, Son-shine,, just for clarity sake I wanted to give your thread a bump here.. I know,, I am old nnd often confused easily in this old age thing,,, it's a fatherly thing Son
    The water pump thought, as mentioned by Steve, was actually the first thing that popped into my mind as I have heard a very similar noise from my 1st Gens water pump thru the years on more than one occasion.. Matter of fact,, the original Tweeks actually did that for thousands of miles,, I called it her water pump chirp.. I carried a spare water pump assembly in her maintenance dept. for years just in case but that day of need ever came but it didnt..
    Anyway,, the reason I did not double think it in your case was you mentioned being on the left side of the bike with the left side noted as the side the sound was coming from.. Son,, right or wrong, in my world,, I have always considered the left side of a motorcycle being mentioned as meaning the left side as if one were sitting on the bike.. Is/was this what you were/are to? Left side meaning the noise was/is coming from the same side of the bike as where your shifter/stator/driveshaft are located?

    Always something ain't it

    Dad
    Yup, thatís my left side definition as well! I had it out again yesterday for a good run in the heat but no knock. I did put the stethoscope on all engine parts after I got back home, including the right side water pump but nothing. Iím just going to have to wait till the knock reappears before I can try and isolate where itís coming from. Still want to get underneath and check for obvious loose parts in the exhaust system. Thanks for checking in Dad.
    "The smallest act of kindness trumps the greatest of intentions"

  5. Thanks cowpuc gave thanks for this post
    Likes cowpuc liked this post
  6. #19
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Fond du Lac
    Posts
    14,890
    United States
    WI
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Developed Odd Engine Noise

    I usually call it 'clutch side' and 'throttle side'.

    Never heard these noises on my Gen2. I too am very curious as to the cause.

    RR

  7. #20
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Leduc
    Posts
    14,895
    Canada
    AB
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Developed Odd Engine Noise

    Quote Originally Posted by RedRider View Post
    I usually call it 'clutch side' and 'throttle side'.

    Never heard these noises on my Gen2. I too am very curious as to the cause.

    RR
    Thatís a good reference to avoid confusion. Except maybe for the folks ďdown under.Ē Seems I recall a motorcycle pic once of their controls opposite to ours. Or maybe that was the time I was looking in the rear view mirror while trying to dodge all the cars driving on the wrong side of the road, lol 😳
    "The smallest act of kindness trumps the greatest of intentions"

  8. Likes sldunker, cowpuc liked this post
  9. #21
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Charleston
    Posts
    28
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Developed Odd Engine Noise

    Hey divey! Any progress on tracking down that noise?

    Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

  10. #22
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Leduc
    Posts
    14,895
    Canada
    AB
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Developed Odd Engine Noise

    Quote Originally Posted by DaNetFlunky View Post
    Hey divey! Any progress on tracking down that noise?

    Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk
    Iíve been out a couple of times but the noise has not returned. Weíve been having 40 days and 40 nights of rain so Iíve had limited opportunities to get out. Actually Iím hoping I can get the noise back again so I can check things underneath.
    "The smallest act of kindness trumps the greatest of intentions"

  11. Likes DaNetFlunky liked this post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Threads

  1. Engine noise
    By ZOEYDOG in forum Star Venture and Eluder Tech Talk ( '18 - Present)
    Replies: 37
    Last Post: 05-10-2018, 08:46 AM
  2. Engine noise
    By ZOEYDOG in forum Star Venture and Eluder Tech Talk ( '18 - Present)
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-07-2018, 10:40 PM
  3. Engine Noise - do I have a problem?
    By VanRiver in forum Venture and Venture Royale Tech Talk ('83 - '93)
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 03-08-2015, 11:12 PM
  4. Engine Noise
    By Eagle77 in forum General Tech Talk
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 11-02-2009, 03:53 PM
  5. Engine noise
    By hydraulicman in forum General Tech Talk
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 09-05-2007, 12:36 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •