IGNORED

Difficulty with center stand

Uthred

I am having difficulty getting my 86 Venture up on the center stand. My friend who also owns a 83 Venture could not do it. It took both of us to get it onto the stand. Rear pressure was 50 psi, any thoughts?:2cents:

I use the "grab and stand up" method. This video illustrates it pretty well. It's only about 5 minutes long but you can watch 3:00-4:40 and you'll get the main demonstration.

The only time I struggled was when my rear shock was broken and wouldn't hold air. I could still do it, but it took considerable effort compared to after I replaced the broken shock.

In a nut shell...

- wheel straight

- grab the left handlebar firmly

- grab the rear passenger grab bar firmly

- push the centre stand down to contact the ground and carefully push the bike up until both pads of the stand are in contact with the ground (you'll feel it)

- transfer your weight into the centre stand and "stand up" with your right leg while pulling up on the rear passenger grab bar

I hope that helps!

Suds

Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk

Also, 83's are a lot easier to get onto the center stand than the MkII's. First off, the MkI's weigh about 50# less and most of that is at the rear of the bike. The center stands are a little different also. The MkII frames are different than MkI's.

I'm 71 years old and 6' 1" tall and not skinny. I can put the 89 on the center stand by myself, but I'm happy when my wife grabs the right crash bar and gives me a hand.

It's all in the technique:

Right hand on the passenger grab bar, left on the left hand grip.

Push down on the center stand arm with right leg.

Rock the bike until you feel that both legs of the stand are on the ground.

Right arm straight, right leg bent at the knee.

Stand up on the center stand arm while keeping your right arm straight so the bike comes up with you. Make sure you're not pulling the bike forward, but straight up.

It should pop right up. With a little practice the steps will become automatic.

While working on the technique, drive the rear wheel of on a piece of wood. Start with 1 inch and go thinner as you get better at it.

When I bought my 88 I asked about getting such a heavy bike up on the center stand. The 5 foot nuttin 130lb salesman then proceeded to pop it up on the center stand with no problem. I'm 6'1" 250 lbs and stronger than most and could not do it at first. Once I learned the technique it was no problem.

While working on the technique, drive the rear wheel of on a piece of wood. Start with 1 inch and go thinner as you get better at it.

When I bought my 88 I asked about getting such a heavy bike up on the center stand. The 5 foot nuttin 130lb salesman then proceeded to pop it up on the center stand with no problem. I'm 6'1" 250 lbs and stronger than most and could not do it at first. Once I learned the technique it was no problem.

I may not have been crystal clear in my earlier post:

You use your leg to do the work. Very few of us have enough arm to lift a Venture.

Carl is correct, If you are relying on arm strength you are doing it wrong. That was the mistake I was making at the beginning that prevented me from getting it up. It also helps to NOT have the front of your foot on the stand but closer to just below the ankle so that the full power of your leg can do the heavy work.

I use the "grab and stand up" method. This video illustrates it pretty well. It's only about 5 minutes long but you can watch 3:00-4:40 and you'll get the main demonstration.

The only time I struggled was when my rear shock was broken and wouldn't hold air. I could still do it, but it took considerable effort compared to after I replaced the broken shock.

In a nut shell...

- wheel straight

- grab the left handlebar firmly

- grab the rear passenger grab bar firmly

- push the centre stand down to contact the ground and carefully push the bike up until both pads of the stand are in contact with the ground (you'll feel it)

- transfer your weight into the centre stand and "stand up" with your right leg while pulling up on the rear passenger grab bar

I hope that helps!

Suds

Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk

Mine is a beast to do, But I attribute that to age, it was so bad back in the 90s. I dont even remember thinking abot it I just did it, Now I grumble and grunt even before I get started....:(

Speeking of Center stands, The 2 I ordered from Pinwall in Massillon Ohio arrived yesterday. I picked up some steel and also bought My heavier welding maching home as I had loaned to the local shop to repair a Dump Truck Bed.

I got up under the 03 as best I coukd and low and behold theres a center stand mount there and it shows signs of use. I held one of these up to it to see if my eyes were lying to me and the bolt holes line up perfect and the foot peg swaps arou nd the pipe ;eaving room for a rubber stop should one be needed. It will be interesting to see if this things comes up on the stand without modding.

Wish Me Luck, we can all use some I promise to share!!

I am having difficulty getting my 86 Venture up on the center stand. My friend who also owns a 83 Venture could not do it. It took both of us to get it onto the stand. Rear pressure was 50 psi, any thoughts?:2cents:

Yes, she is a beast to get up on the stand. I was standing straight up on the stand and pulling back, but she just refused. Rob and I both had to yank her up.

Good luck with that Rob. :hurts: Hope you get it worked out.

Edited by Midicat

If you're putting all your body weight on the center stand pad and it's still a bear to rock the bike back then maybe a previous owner had lowered the front, or the fork springs have just about given up the ghost... Try installing a set of Progressives and I bet it'll get easier... :-)

Speeking of Center stands, The 2 I ordered from Pinwall in Massillon Ohio arrived yesterday. I picked up some steel and also bought My heavier welding maching home as I had loaned to the local shop to repair a Dump Truck Bed.

I got up under the 03 as best I coukd and low and behold theres a center stand mount there and it shows signs of use. I held one of these up to it to see if my eyes were lying to me and the bolt holes line up perfect and the foot peg swaps arou nd the pipe ;eaving room for a rubber stop should one be needed. It will be interesting to see if this things comes up on the stand without modding.

Wish Me Luck, we can all use some I promise to share!!

Good luck. Pics of the finish line please.

Test progress. After bolting up the Gen 1 centerstand, I had someone help me and we could not get her up on it. After checking some measurements, the previous centerstand had to be aftermarket as the damper bolted to the frame is too far forward for a gen 1 to make contact. I cut about 1.25 in off the tubing from either side but have not had the time to break out the mig and tack it up for a test fit and tryout. Since its raining to day I might give it a shot as I wont be hammering and nailing in the thunderstorms.

Rie safe.