IGNORED

Map software rehashed

saddlebum

Hadn't noticed that myself but wanted to say I'm glad to know someone else that watches Itchy Boots. I've been watching since she was traveling through India. Some epic travels right there. :256:

Started from the beginning ever since some one here posted it and am now into season 2 eps 65

Since she isnt doing her original journey, she is traveling around her native Netherlands show us some of the sights and history there. Sounds like Royal Enfield has loaned her another bike to use and some of the companies there have outfitted

her with some gear also.

Rick F

I have been watching Itchy Boots and I noticed Noraly uses MAPS ME most of the time. Wondering if anyone here has used it and if so what their opinion is.

I binge watched all of her stuff and noticed that too. I've downloaded Maps.Me but have not even opened it yet as work and home life are keeping me swamped at the moment.

LOL Yea I have even got the wife to watch some of her travels since she has had to go back home. Some interesting information I have learned about Netherlands in just a few weeks.
Something interesting I learned when I was over there visiting my cousins is there is a fully functioning historic windmill with my family name on it. Weather or not it is part of my ancestry I have no idea but it would be kinda cool if it was.

90% 0f the gears shafts and levers are made of wood. The governor is by way of fly weights which drive is driven by a leather belt and as the weights fly out the tighten a band made of leather and wood blocks around the main fly gear to control max speed. the whole head/dome sits on rollers so it can rotate into the wind. the picture with me in it gives you some idea how big these wooden gears are.

P1000479 (Medium).JPG

P1000485 (Medium).JPG

P1000346.jpg

P1000353.jpg

P1000349.jpg

P1000350.jpg

P1000352.jpg

Something interesting I learned when I was over there visiting my cousins is there is a fully functioning historic windmill with my family name on it. Weather or not it is part of my ancestry I have no idea but it would be kinda cool if it was.

90% 0f the gears shafts and levers are made of wood. The governor is by way of fly weights which drive is driven by a leather belt and as the weights fly out the tighten a band made of leather and wood blocks around the main fly gear to control max speed. the whole head/dome sits on rollers so it can rotate into the wind. the picture with me in it gives you some idea how big these wooden gears are.

Being that I like to make wood 'stuff' this is way cool. Is their any way you could link the history to your family name. Very often buildings were named after the owners of the land or the builder etc.

Being that I like to make wood 'stuff' this is way cool. Is their any way you could link the history to your family name. Very often buildings were named after the owners of the land or the builder etc.
I really don't know. I know people have done it through various means but I would need a lot more free time and given our family name actually started with the vikings so many thousand years ago that would leave a lot of branches to climb through.

Also if you like stuff made out of wood check this desk out built in the 1700's.

Edited by saddlebum

My mother was born in the Netherlands and emigrated here in '53 with my grandparents and great aunt & uncle, most of my family is still over there. Some distant cousins still run the 1600's watermolen grain mill that is of similar all wooden construction. My father was a life-long carpenter and we got a full tour & instructions on how to run the mill while we were there.

I really don't know. I know people have done it through various means but I would need a lot more free time and given our family name actually started with the vikings so many thousand years ago that would leave a lot of branches to climb through.

Also if you like stuff made out of wood check this desk out built in the 1700's.

Yeah, I love stuff like this but my skills aren't there yet. Maybe when I retire.

My mother was born in the Netherlands and emigrated here in '53 with my grandparents and great aunt & uncle, most of my family is still over there. Some distant cousins still run the 1600's watermolen grain mill that is of similar all wooden construction. My father was a life-long carpenter and we got a full tour & instructions on how to run the mill while we were there.
Both my parents emigrated here from Holland in 52 settling at 1st in New Bruinswick were I was born in 53. Outside of my parents and our now extended family all my relatives are still in Holland. I too got a cool education on running the mill while I was there. The real amazing part is the grind stones they are actually chiseled out by hand.

P1000337.jpg

P1000339.jpg

Edited by saddlebum