IGNORED

RSV Stator Wires/Plugs Location/Rerouting

Since my 2019 RSV purchase, I've enjoyed this 2007 Bike here in Calgary more than my other 10 Scoots, big or small, over 30 years; including even my 2 1984 Goldwings and 2003 Valkyrie.The 3 stator wires are easily accessible on my 3 Yam XS 1100s and said Goldwings and Valkyrie. Having one XS1100 with a serious starting issue that turned out to be melted stator plugs, I need to eliminate this standard bottleneck issue on all my Bikes up front. A standard prophylactic measure in the motorcycle world for good reason.I have scoured/ransacked the Net, 4 main RSV Sites to locate these plugs. I read, "pig to find; buried deep"; aye that they are. And "behind" or "under" the battery box. How many times now I've looked for those plugs; no prize. Contorting my body, flashlight in hand.Then I recently read, "near coolant tank clamp" on one FB Site for Series Two Venture aficionados and such. O, so THAT'S finally it. I will try this right side starting point as this comes from a highly acclaimed Venture "Guru". No, it turns out to be a very imprecise/inadequate instruction as the rest.This is what I finally did to locate and reroute those plugs in pics. Perhaps you can do it more simply with less work but this is how my cookie crumbled.It necessitated removing the seat, battery, battery box, side covers, the bridge/connector piece between the two side covers plus the coolant tank.FINALLY the 3 white wire/plugs in plain view as per pic. (right side/left pic). Moving the spark plug cable out of the way eases things a lot for the side cover connector.I then proceeded by feel to extricate and to feed the stator wires and their plugs toward the left side of the Bike rerouting them. Here the plugs overlap easily enough to snip and solder them if I can't pop them out from the plugs instead 1st. (centre pic) Easy to ohms test the 3 white wires here too if need be as easily accessible now. (right pic)

Where Yamaha could have routed them in the 1st place, as a certain number of aggravating engineering/design issues on these stellar Bikes could with a modicum of effort have been tho't thro' to something approximating common sense.

PS---FB ruined my formatting into no paragraph breaks. Billions of $$ but...

Stator Plugs.jpg

Stator Plugs Apart.jpg

Stator Plugs New.jpg

Edited by Freebird