If your battery is good,,, need to check it,, then you have a short seemingly. Time to start tracing,,, fun job!

Checked battery it shows 12.8,12.7 when running. Went an clean the high and low switch. I the out come high beam good low dem to no light.

Do you have a service manual for your 83 VR as there is a troubleshooting guide and systematic for the lighting electrical system, page 7-23, in there that can be of assistance to you. If you dont have the manual you can download one from here.. https://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?3384-First-Gen-Service-Manuals

Using the guide should help you figure out where you are having an issue at. This isnt a direct connection from the dimmer switch to the headlight as there is a reserve lighting unit in there as well as some other items. Do you have a failed headlight icon on your control panel?

Hope this helps you out and good luck.

Rick F.

Not sure what year your bike is But the 1st gen MK2 has what is called I believe a reserve lighting unit. Its a module that will throw your high beams on if your low beam fails. It could be stuck in high beam mode . You may also have a hi low relay the relay my be bussing because it is trying to switch but can't and may be defective or not geting proper signal voltage. Again depends on year of bike.

Not sure what year your bike is But the 1st gen MK2 has what is called I believe a reserve lighting unit. Its a module that will throw your high beams on if your low beam fails. It could be stuck in high beam mode . You may also have a hi low relay the relay my be bussing because it is trying to switch but can't and may be defective or not geting proper signal voltage. Again depends on year of bike.

1983 venture royale .