IGNORED

Need light suggestions

cwtart

I just installed a light bar on my 2008 RSV and want to upgrade the PAR36 4.5" passing lamps to LED. I want a very tight angle beam and an LED lamp designed for motorcycles. There are hundreds of choices out there but I would like to hear from someone who has upgraded to LED passing lights - I don't want to use an LED lamp designed for landscaping but more for motorcycles.

I also want to upgrade the headlight to an H4 LED bulb and need suggestions for that. I am looking for something with a beam pattern that closely matches the OEM headlight - preferrably an LED with static cooling fins rather than a fan.

For the passing lights, I am planning on running a 12v line directly off the battery to a relay under the cowling. The relay will be triggered by a double-throw single-pole switch where I can select from running lights or high-beam - so I can choose to have the passing lights come on with the running lights or only come on when I have the headlight high-beams on.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Just a thought for you:

Passing lamps are a great thing to have on your scooter, more light at night, but also better visibility during daylight hours for other drivers. A triangle of visibility gives others a better handle on your speed and location, but I'm wondering if you get too tight an angle on the passing lamps, if then you will loose some of the triangle effect. I would say daytime results would be almost as important if not more important. Keep in mind that the sun will dissolve most of the light coming from you scoot during the daytime and make the lights look like another color rather than speaking out: HERE I AM!!

I went with Truck Lite, truck-lite.com, not cheap but they throw the light and are bright plus use about half the watts. I think I used the 80220, flood work light. They are a PAR 36 like the OEM passing lights but a tight fit.

For the main I went with an HID bi xenon (HI Low beam) from Xenon Depot with a delay relay added so it will not turn on until the key is in the on position for a few seconds. This reduces the on/off/on of it while starting which I understand is rough on them.

I used PIAA led fog lights also available as a flood or running light and it only requires a 2 amp fuse. http://www.piaa.com/piaa-lp270-led-white-wide-spread-fog-beam-kit-clone.aspx

I tried a couple LED replacement bulbs for the headlight but so far have not been happy with them. I found although they were plenty bright directly in front of you, they did not project very far ahead and I found the road surface lacked contrast almost as though it was white washed so for now I have gone back to a PIAA 5000k H4 Super Plasma Gt-X Halogen Bulb. http://www.piaa.com/store/p/161-H4-Super-Plasma-Gt-X-Single-Halogen-Bulb.aspx

IMHO if you want to go LED for your headlight it is best to get a complete LED assembly. At least then the reflector is designed to properly focus the the LED for proper beam pattern.

Some suggestions http://www.truck-lite.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?urlRequestType=Base&catalogId=10002&categoryId=13091&pageView=grid&urlLangId=-1&beginIndex=0&langId=-1&top_category=15554&parent_category_rn=13089&storeId=10001#facet:-7000000000000003359766968&productBeginIndex:0&orderBy:&pageView:grid&minPrice:&maxPrice:&pageSize:&

I know this set up is Non standard and not for everyone but I have run all night two times with this setup and you can play Tennis in front of my bike on a no moon night at 75 mph.

The two LED's are 25W coming off the mirror stalks. The two down low off the fender are 10 watt. The reason I have the 10's is because when I have on coming traffic and have to turn off the Flame throwers, it appears pitch black in front of me with out the 10's on to at least light up about 20 feet in front of me...so I can see what it hit :-(

These LED's literally allow me to see to stop at 75mph in the middle of the desert with no ambient light. And they are great for lane splitting in California- especially when my Kisan headlight is pulsing.

fyi on the Kisan- I get obvious "respect" from the headlight modulator verses any amount of lights on the front. I know this because I have occasionally not turned it on and the difference on a ride in Los Angeles is obvious.

VentureFar...

LED.jpg

Just a thought for you:

Passing lamps are a great thing to have on your scooter, more light at night, but also better visibility during daylight hours for other drivers. A triangle of visibility gives others a better handle on your speed and location, but I'm wondering if you get too tight an angle on the passing lamps, if then you will loose some of the triangle effect. I would say daytime results would be almost as important if not more important. Keep in mind that the sun will dissolve most of the light coming from you scoot during the daytime and make the lights look like another color rather than speaking out: HERE I AM!!

You've seen my passing lights....GE H7616 narrow spots. Not a white light like my LED headlight, but you've seen how bright they are. At night they throw light further forward than the UltraStar that I had before.

What Carl said though... keep your high beam on your headlight during the day and passing lights on all the time. Makes you much more visible to those in front of you or that you are approaching.

Note - the narrow spots aimed properly (same height as your headlight, just right of the centre line and slightly to the shoulder) and you won't blind people at night.

I used PIAA led fog lights also available as a flood or running light and it only requires a 2 amp fuse. http://www.piaa.com/piaa-lp270-led-white-wide-spread-fog-beam-kit-clone.aspx

I tried a couple LED replacement bulbs for the headlight but so far have not been happy with them. I found although they were plenty bright directly in front of you, they did not project very far ahead and I found the road surface lacked contrast almost as though it was white washed so for now I have gone back to a PIAA 5000k H4 Super Plasma Gt-X Halogen Bulb. http://www.piaa.com/store/p/161-H4-Super-Plasma-Gt-X-Single-Halogen-Bulb.aspx

IMHO if you want to go LED for your headlight it is best to get a complete LED assembly. At least then the reflector is designed to properly focus the the LED for proper beam pattern.

Some suggestions http://www.truck-lite.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?urlRequestType=Base&catalogId=10002&categoryId=13091&pageView=grid&urlLangId=-1&beginIndex=0&langId=-1&top_category=15554&parent_category_rn=13089&storeId=10001#facet:-7000000000000003359766968&productBeginIndex:0&orderBy:&pageView:grid&minPrice:&maxPrice:&pageSize:&

From all I have read and experienced you are 100% correct on just using an LED bulb, especially for the main. Your choice is a good one. I am experimenting on my two auxiliary headlights/driving lights (RIVCO dual beam H-4) on my VTX with an LED bulb that is supposed to throw light onto the reflector like an H-4. I put a sealed Daymaker unit in the main which is great.