IGNORED

Myxvz1200

larrydr

I have a XVZ1200 that I been working on to get ready for the road , for the most part runs good ..Getting ready for the Manitoba required safety ( the C.O.1 inspection is very precise and is followed closely ) ... Does anyone know when Yamaha made changes or improvements to the transmission and if the parts would into change for an upgrade .

If you are asking about the 2nd gear issue, it is caused by a soft washer or spacer that wears too fast. Yamaha fixed the issue sometime during the 85 model year. If you do a search of this site you should find the exact serial numbers when the improvement was made. It is a lot of labor to repair but doesn't require many parts. And as Cowpuc can attest to, you can ride it just skipping 2nd gear.

If you are asking about the 2nd gear issue, it is caused by a soft washer or spacer that wears too fast. Yamaha fixed the issue sometime during the 85 model year. If you do a search of this site you should find the exact serial numbers when the improvement was made. It is a lot of labor to repair but doesn't require many parts. And as Cowpuc can attest to, you can ride it just skipping 2nd gear.

Thanks for your info

I found two XVZ1200 Venture that are not running , not sure what I will do about extra parts .... Rather than to buy the exact same for parts , I would like to one with some the upgrades already made to take some the needed parts from .. I am a 73 year old country boy is not used to buying any brand new , so I go out and look for parts bike . Has anyone built a trike from a Venture , if so what would the best wheel base .

If I am not mistaken which I often am :confused24: any of the bikes that were repaired for this issue at a dealer are supposed to have an indicating mark of some sort stamped some where on the case. Somebody here on the site may know better. Like Puc I find skip shifting 2nd gear not to be an issue so for the most part I would just ignore. Were you may run into an issue is with the safety inspection depending on who is doing the inspection they may or may not overlook the second gear issue. You can try explaining to them that there are bike all over the continent running just fine without it but in the end it depends on the tech doing the inspection.

Here are a couple links that may interest you:

https://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?508-Second-Gear-Repair

https://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?133124-2nd-gear-issues-with-the-83-84-and-some-85-Ventures-Questions