IGNORED

Tool Size

Hello all,

So after removing the required parts to access the rear tire for removal, found out that the axle nut is gigantic! Please advise as to the size open wrench fits cause my largest is 24mm.

Thank you

I never had to use heat. Are you talking about the nut or the axle itself? The nut is tight, if I remember right, the torque setting is 110 ft. lbs. I don't remember the socket size but I used a socket and 1/2" drive ratchet to get it off. The axle should then just pull out but I usually had to twist it back and forth to get it to pull out.

Going by memory here - 27mm. Will check it later this evening.

And the Allen wrench to turn the axle out is 10mm (again, memory only - will advise).

I went to Sears (remember them) and got a combo wrench that I carry in my right saddle bag with my tool roll.

RR

You have the big axle nut on the left side and the pinch bolt on the right side. Then the axle should slide right out with maybe a little twist back and forth. Should not be a problem. Make sure the pinch bolt is loose or off.

LOL I changed probably a half dozen rears on my RSV and a couple friends. I never used heat, does the muffler need to come off? I dont think so. Once you get bike high enough seems I remember you can get sockets etc on there fine. If you take a little weight off the tire/wheel once you got nut off and pinch bolt loose I may have used a brass drift once or twice. But I think it always came out easy.

how in the world do we remove this rear axle Bolt does? Does it require Heat?

Ya know you have to remove the mufflers. The nut size is 27mm. Dont hand the wheels from the bearings and then beat on them as your pounding translates to side load shock on the bearings. Wheel must be lightly on the ground and you can pull axle out with a wrench. Be sure to lightly grease the axle upon reinstall. Here is a video

With tire on ground....take off left muffler, right too will make it easier.

Take off the brake caliper on right and hang.

Take off nut on left side....use long bar, 1/2inch drive and 27 mm socket (memory???)

Will come off.

Raise bike high. Then raise it more. Dropping the wheel out needs height.

Now undo the pinch bolt on right side of axle. Place wood block under tire.

OH....take a good look at where the washer is on the right side of the axle between the brake mount and the wheel. It only goes in one place as it positions the rear brake caliper properly. Take a picture.....!!!

Pull axle out to the left side. Should come out easy if tire is resting properly on block....or as video showed above...do that with tire resting gently on ground.

Once done...tire will come off to the right at a slight angle to the right as you are pulling it off the drive on the left. Then it will drop down.

Hint: There are some good threads about this on this site. Search function works well.....and don't forget to look below each search page for hints from the site of other threads with similar topic!

I do prefer to take off the mufflers and rear brake. I like learning how to. But it isn't necessary....the wheel will come off if high enough.

And....after the tire is out, put the axle back in. It should go in easily with some fresh grease on it. If not, then you probably should loosen the 4 acorn nuts of the rear end (left side..between drive shaft and rear end) and then re-tighten them. Do this until the axle slides in and out easily. Congrats...you have just aligned the rear end!

Edited by videoarizona
sp

Thank you all!

I have the shop manual for the bike, and the procedures are all fairly simple. My issue WAS just loosening the axle nut on the left side.

I was able to loosen it, removed the wheel & took it to a shop to change the rubber, and already have started getting all the parts back on.

I had an Intruder 1400VS for years & the first time I removed the rear wheel took about 3 hours. The final removal only took 20 minutes.

Thanks again!