Canada
    ON
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: 87 Royale Carbs

Behind those rectangle plates you describe are plugs that can leak coolant. They go bad with age and heat cycles. You can still get replacements at the dealer. I'll see if I can find the part number, you'll need 4.

Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk
    Last edited by suds; 05-21-2020 at 09:06 AM.

2. Thanks Poppa Phill gave thanks for this post
    Likes Poppa Phill liked this post
    United States
    ME
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Marcarl View Post
    I'm not a great fan of Seafoam, although it works well for maintenance and is non-invasive so to speak. But reading through your wiring description, I would take the high tension wire of the ignition and make sure those are all clean and ready to work. It's a bit of a pain to get them out, but can be done. Remove the front ones first and then while they are out do the back ones, all working from the front of the bike. Cut the wires to refresh them, clean the towers of the coils, clean the coil primary contacts, and cut a bit off of the lower wire to refresh them, also take the spark plugs ends apart and clean the resistors in there, or just replace them.
    Good evening. I wrote down everything you guys said to check with regards to the wiring. cut and clipped them all to refresh them, I didnt do the coin ends as by the time I got the first set of wires done and continued cleaning the fuel systems, my meds were wearing off and I could walk, Hence he misses showed up with a baseball bat. She did allow me to put everything back together. some of those wires were atrocious burned and or mostly just gone!
    I had to keep my appointments today so I road the bike down to lincoln. It Ran like a dream pretty much, front tire needs balancing badly starts to bounce 65 - 70. I can tell; there are still wire issues as its on 90% of the time but i can tell its not all there. this bike engine comes on up on Cam around 3400-3500 and wants to go boom. Normal?? Previous Venture was an 83 great Bike but I dont remember it acting like this one with regards to power band. you Guys were dead on the money about High rpms. It likes 4500 or better for cruising, 4th Gear was sweet. with my head so messed up I can remember everything Im yet supposed to do so I gotta read all your posts again so I can remember why I wrote things down, (sucks). Bottom Line Every Bit of advice has already proven to be spot on correct and I will continue to fix what I find.
    1. going to check the spark plug caps again, I read somewhere they have a resistor inside ??
    2. Motor fires right up, so far have backed the idle screw down 5 turns and more to go, it was at 1800 when I got home for neutral idle speed.
    3. where is best place to get a generic fuse panel so I can get rid of this one its got rust , cracks in the base..
    4. Im in serious Trouble. I saw a 2003 Venture today. asking $3k where should I [post the pics?
    I test road it for about 45 minutes, fuel gauge doesnt work they had to jump it off, started fine after that even war zero issues and ran like a scalded Dawg!!
    IM going back to get it in the am if you guys say its worth it. I plan on talking him outa some stuff as he wants my 2010 Yamaha Nytro MOUNTAIN Sled in a swap.
    will post photos soon as somebody tells me where they go!
    Thank you all so much, you made this task go like warm butter. I couldnt be happier!!
    God Bless!
    Dont Blame me if Im in your way, Ive already been dead and tried my best to not be in your way. God has other plans so go ask him what the problem is an lemme know what he says.
    87 Venture
    03 RSV
    86 Shadow VT1100

United States
    ME
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Patch View Post
    At the back of the manual you will find ELEC chapter 7, the chapter has diagrams and procedures,
    at the bottom of each page you will see first the chapter # then the page #

That said and referring to the test in question there is a simple gadget available thru most auto centers call a "spark gap tester" less then $10.00 or use a screwdriver grounded to the engine then placed in front of the cap as you spin the engine (set to run) guess at the length of ark jumping to ground...

The easy way is to use the tester gadget I mentioned.. It quickly proves the ignition system!
    Keep in mind this this bike is setup with a wasted spark ignition when firing compression stroke it also fires one of to exhaust stroke, save on parts but, pairs the firing sequence, wins and losses just like the rest of life

Dust off the multi meter change battery... you will likely need it
    Done and done. still; have to do the coil ends. metter dusted and ready. going to check an see if they have resisters in the caps??
    Dont Blame me if Im in your way, Ive already been dead and tried my best to not be in your way. God has other plans so go ask him what the problem is an lemme know what he says.
    87 Venture
    03 RSV
    86 Shadow VT1100

United States
    ME
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by suds View Post
    Behind those rectangle plates you describe are plugs that can leak coolant. They go bad with age and heat cycles. You can still get replacements at the dealer. I'll see if I can find the part number, you'll need 4.

Are they theaded of just like car engine freeze plugs??
    87 Venture
    03 RSV
    86 Shadow VT1100

Canada
    ON
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Poppa Phill View Post
    Are they theaded of just like car engine freeze plugs??

Here they are. You can use a spark plug to pull them out if they are stuck. (Or find a screw with the same thread pitch)

7. Thanks Poppa Phill gave thanks for this post
    Likes Poppa Phill, Patch liked this post
    Canada
    AB
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"I saw a 2003 Venture today. asking $3k where should I [post the pics?
    I test road it for about 45 minutes, fuel gauge doesnt work they had to jump it off, started fine after that even war zero issues and ran like a scalded Dawg!!
    IM going back to get it in the am if you guys say its worth it"

I wouldn't.

I think the book called for 10 ohm but I hear guys run 5.

9. Thanks Poppa Phill gave thanks for this post
    Canada
    ON
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Forget the the OEM fuse block replace it with ATM or ATC/ATO fuse block similar to the one in the link. They come in various configurations and number of fuses. ATM is the mini version of the ATO/ATC fuse all which are common automotive fuse

https://www.amazon.com/PSEQT-Negativ.../dp/B0821JSV79

An assortment of various versions of these fuse blocks are also commonly found an marine supply stores
    Last edited by saddlebum; 05-21-2020 at 10:37 PM.
    I AM A DRINKER OF THE WIND

11. Likes Poppa Phill liked this post
    United States
    UT
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by saddlebum View Post
    Forget the the OEM fuse block replace it with ATM or ATC/ATO fuse block similar to the one in the link. They come in various configurations and number of fuses. ATM is the mini version of the ATO/ATC fuse all which are common automotive fuse

https://www.amazon.com/PSEQT-Negativ.../dp/B0821JSV79

An assortment of various versions of these fuse blocks are also commonly found an marine supply stores

With the fuse block conversion, do y’all just still lay it across the battery or mount it somewhere? My OEM is just kinda flopped on top of the battery and held somewhat in place by the battery strap.

13. Likes Poppa Phill liked this post
    Canada
    ON
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thats the way the oem fuse blocks are mounted I mounted mine back much the same way on top of the battery with a slight modification to the strap some will screw them down on to the air cleaner cover. I just didnt want to have to fuss with the fuse block every time I wanted to remove the air cleaner cover.

15. Likes Poppa Phill liked this post
    Canada
    ON
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

BTW not to dispute anything posted here as they are all good comments. I just want to point out that it is not uncommon for these bikes to be a bit temperamental when you 1st attempt to start them up after sitting for a spell. I have many times taken the air cleaner off to find sticky barrels were I will wet them with seafoam or carb cleaner and then carefully reach down with a long screw and gently move them. the starting issue were it will only start on closed throttle and die when yo open it also will occur but fades as the bike warms up. Once I get it warm enough will run enough to get the bike moving I ride the bike staying in the higher RPMs 1st just riding around the block in 1st gear then adding gears as the bike starts run better. Finally after a good run the bike just seems to clear up and run normally firing up each and every time at the touch of the starter etc. I seem to go thorough this every other spring or so depending on how long the bike sits but then I do not go through a whole storage procedure when I park the bike for the winter. I just cover it and leave it sit outside under the cover until spring. sometimes I may add seafoam and sometimes I won't. the winters I don't seem to be the ones were I have to fuss more in the spring.

This past winter I added 1/2 a can of seafoam to a 1/4 full tank of fuel and ran it until it started to smoke then shut her down. then I topped the fuel tank off with super gas from a Jerry can.. This spring other than smoking like heck for the 1st little while she fired right up no issues.

Again just food for thought not a fix.

17. Thanks Poppa Phill gave thanks for this post
    Canada
    ON
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Many others have done a better job than me, but here's what I did. I just picked up a block from Amazon like saddlebum mentioned.

19. Thanks Poppa Phill gave thanks for this post
    Canada
    ON
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Same Idea except I replaced the old fuse holder and put my block in the same place were the old one used to be.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_20130726_135100_327 (Medium).jpg  

21. Likes suds, Poppa Phill liked this post
    United States
    ME
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Same Idea except I replaced the old fuse holder and put my block in the same place were the old one used to be.
    That is exactly what I want to do. I had it all out yesterday whjen I cleaned up the ends to the plug wires which Im going to replace Payday, they are too short and too tight, no slack left. It should be here by tuesday and its not soon enough, nice looking work!
    87 Venture
    03 RSV
    86 Shadow VT1100

United States
    ME
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

BTW not to dispute anything posted here as they are all good comments. I just want to point out that it is not uncommon for these bikes to be a bit temperamental when you 1st attempt to start them up after sitting for a spell. I have many times taken the air cleaner off to find sticky barrels were I will wet them with seafoam or carb cleaner and then carefully reach down with a long screw and gently move them. the starting issue were it will only start on closed throttle and die when yo open it also will occur but fades as the bike warms up. Once I get it warm enough will run enough to get the bike moving I ride the bike staying in the higher RPMs 1st just riding around the block in 1st gear then adding gears as the bike starts run better. Finally after a good run the bike just seems to clear up and run normally firing up each and every time at the touch of the starter etc. I seem to go thorough this every other spring or so depending on how long the bike sits but then I do not go through a whole storage procedure when I park the bike for the winter. I just cover it and leave it sit outside under the cover until spring. sometimes I may add seafoam and sometimes I won't. the winters I don't seem to be the ones were I have to fuss more in the spring.

This past winter I added 1/2 a can of seafoam to a 1/4 full tank of fuel and ran it until it started to smoke then shut her down. then I topped the fuel tank off with super gas from a Jerry can.. This spring other than smoking like heck for the 1st little while she fired right up no issues.

Again just food for thought not a fix.
    Being from the Lake Erie Region of ohio, we treated Bikes just like the boats, run the gas out then fog or add prep fuel ethanol free to the tank and cover em up. being inside the Lake effect sow belt we never knew what winter wold bring just that it was always Bad,
    Thanks For the tips, Its Been a long time since I had a Bike and took a long time to remember what little I have to get her running again thanks to the bunch of ya !!
    87 Venture
    03 RSV
    86 Shadow VT1100

United States
    ME
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

First Let me thank all ofyou for such awesome advice!
    I took the Lady out yesterday. Before leaving I backed off the idle speed screw and Im thinking shes back almost to factory. shes sitting right at 1000 or so.
    Cant wait for the sync setup to get here. I took Her to town about 12 miles to see how she would run. well shes running good enough to have new issues, Clutch slippage under power. While she has great power nothing lacking, Now its to the point where if i twist it and not in the mid to high area of a gear she just slides it off. less noticable if im in the upper speed area of a gear.
    Oil is Motorcycle oil Nappa. Due to the age of the Bike ive decided to do the clutch pack even if its just oil so It will something else I can put behind me. Talking with My sister in NY she says Im late so I gotta go and I would really like to Take the lady for that run. questions?
    1. what Brand Clutch Pack? Do we have a seller we support for this?
    2. What is best Oil to use for the Gen 1?I got nappa because the nearest cycle supply with oil less than $10 qt E is 140 miles away. Maybe again order online from a designated source?
    3. Cup and Cell phone holder? any recommendations. will only be for a water bottle but I like durable stuff.
    4. Fuse holder replacement ordered amazon Per advice.
    5. soft bag accessories aka tank bib etc so I dont have to hit the hard bags everytime I need something small?
    6. Chrome engine covers? Chrome vrs powerder coating? Chrome = Heat retention in certain places, to chrome or not to chrome? I want her looking good Paint an Body work to happen over the winter. Im a Fiberglass addict as I used to repair vets, I despise bondo because of it even though its great in its place.

My few cents for lack of sense. reson I dont have any Sense an cents is I left the change on the counter at the gas station.. Bummer.
    87 Venture
    03 RSV
    86 Shadow VT1100

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast