IGNORED

1986 venture inspection for newby

Hi guys I am going to check out a 1986 Venture on Wed morning at a dealership. The previous owner is not available for comment. Having no previous experience with big touring bikes or this model I am trying to research them to be able to inspect as best as I can. Are there any threads for this or advice out there? I do have an owners manual I am reading through to get to know what may be there. What systems should I expect to work and are there any items that you would not expect to be in great shape etc. I want to buy it to ride with minimal shop work as I not a mechanic or set up as a good amateur mechanic. minor maintenance ok...they will sell it to me with a safety inspection and they will have done a test ride on it to make sure it is working and safe.

These are great bikes, even with mileage and age they are excellent touring bikes. I have a 1990 VR with 163,000km (101,000 miles) on it and there's still lots of life left in her. It is easier if you know how to turn a wrench but there's plenty of people here that are willing to share their deep knowledge on these bikes with you.

Check out this section:

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Eventurerider%2Eorg%2Fforum%2Fforumdisplay%2Ephp%3Ff%3D86&share_sfid=86&share_fid=4890&share_type=sf

Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk

Hi @CALEDON these are really great bikes I have had my 89 since 2006 and I just love this bike. The engines on this are about as bullet proof as you can reasonably get and probably can probably claim some the of highest trouble free miles of any motorcycle out there, providing they are reasonably maintained. When I say reasonably I mean simply good old basic TLC. They do not need to be babied, and you do not have to go over every nut and bolt like some bikes. Mechanically they are very hardy machine and will stand up very well to less than ideal riding conditions like getting onto some off road tracks (not that you want to make a habit of it). I don't think there is a more comfortable bike out there for long hours on the road and the bike handles curves amazingly well for such a big bike. Small crawl speed tight turns take a little more practice to get the hang of then with some bikes but not impossible to learn. its just a matter of getting used to how you sit and balance the bike which can be a little different than other bikes with a lower center of gravity. But once your up over a couple KM/HR right up to beyond highway speed this bike handle beautifully and without that heavy front end feel you get with many other bikes specially at slow speeds. Acceleration is amazing and more than adequate for a none sport bike. And don't be afraid to feed the RPM's to it because this bike loves to rev out.

As @cowpuc can attest as he has probably but as many if not more mile on these bikes as anyone For the most part you can expect lots of enjoyable miles on this bike.

If you do end up purchasing this Bike I highly recommend you become a full member here as you will find more info expertise and well informed help here than anywhere including most dealerships. The membership here is full of down to earth friendly people who will go out of their way to help each other whenever possible.

Hi saddlebum - thanks for that information - I think Yamaha builds reliable bikes - I have had an IT 125 growing up, currently own a WR250R dual sport and glad to hear the Venture series is like that. I just got onto this site last night and I am impressed with it and the people I have met so far. I would agree becoming a full member sounds like a lot of added value to the experience.

Question do you know the difference between a Venture and Venture Royale - I am going to look at a model that was listed as a Venture only so if there is a difference I haven't determined what that is and if it is significant. I just found another listing for a 91 V.R. for the same $ as the 86 Venture but its 3 hours drive and a private seller as opposed to a dealership certified purchase closer to home - (I think I am getting hooked already)

It’s an addictive bike. I’ve only had mine since just before Corona. I bought it just to test the water with a touring bike before making an investment in something new. Gotta say I have no interest in upgrading at this point.

you might want to check the CLASS air suspension. Mine wasn’t working when I bought it and if the springs aren’t upgraded you’ll Definitely want some air in there. If it’s working correctly it only operates in the ACC key position and you adjust front and rear separately

Hi CALEDON these are really great bikes I have had my 89 since 2006 and I just love this bike. The engines on this are about as bullet proof as you can reasonably get and probably can probably claim some the of highest trouble free miles of any motorcycle out there, providing they are reasonably maintained. When I say reasonably I mean simply good old basic TLC. They do not need to be babied, and you do not have to go over every nut and bolt like some bikes. Mechanically they are very hardy machine and will stand up very well to less than ideal riding conditions like getting onto some off road tracks (not that you want to make a habit of it). I don't think there is a more comfortable bike out there for long hours on the road and the bike handles curves amazingly well for such a big bike. Small crawl speed tight turns take a little more practice to get the hang of then with some bikes but not impossible to learn. its just a matter of getting used to how you sit and balance the bike which can be a little different than other bikes with a lower center of gravity. But once your up over a couple KM/HR right up to beyond highway speed this bike handle beautifully and without that heavy front end feel you get with many other bikes specially at slow speeds. Acceleration is amazing and more than adequate for a none sport bike. And don't be afraid to feed the RPM's to it because this bike loves to rev out.

As cowpuc can attest as he has probably but as many if not more mile on these bikes as anyone For the most part you can expect lots of enjoyable miles on this bike.

If you do end up purchasing this Bike I highly recommend you become a full member here as you will find more info expertise and well informed help here than anywhere including most dealerships. The membership here is full of down to earth friendly people who will go out of their way to help each other whenever possible.

:think:,, no opinion on the MK2's,, my Venture experience is surrounded by torturing MK1's!! :happy34:

Question do you know the difference between a Venture and Venture Royale - I am going to look at a model that was listed as a Venture only so if there is a difference I haven't determined what that is and if it is significant. I just found another listing for a 91 V.R. for the same $ as the 86 Venture but its 3 hours drive and a private seller as opposed to a dealership certified purchase closer to home - (I think I am getting hooked already)

I am not certain as to what all the differences are and if I am not mistaken those differences can vary from year to year and is mostly based on extras such as the class air ride system which on some standards only has front and rear shrader valves to manually adjust air ride and I believe that may not hold true for every model year as well. Also I think the std my not include the cb radio. Other than that I really am not aware of other differences. I have 1 86 and 2 89's all three are royales. I parted out an 88 std and it had no class system, no CB and no sound system other than that I saw no difference between it and my royales.

Others on the site who actually own std's could probably tell you better than I can.

I could be wrong(imagine that!) But I think the difference between the Royale and Standard are the CLASS, CB and Intercom, and Cruise Control. I.e. the Royale has them and the standard does not. There may be other minor differences like the vanity mirror in the trunk and trim package stuff, IDK.

You will want to make the sure the CLASS system works and the shocks are holding pressure. As mentioned, the CLASS is only operational in the ACC key position. You should set the front shocks first and then the rear in case there is any malfunction that would allow the higher pressure from the rear shock to blow the front seals.

You are going to want to check the valve clearances ASAP so I wouldn't worry about dinging for oil seepage at the head cover gaskets, and there probably will be a little.

Depends on the year. I searched for and found a 1300 non Royale, 86 that I'm still overhauling/ refreshening.

I believe in its twighlight years there was only Royales.

Just make sure the plastics are not broken- especially the tabs on the front halves.

I was impressed with the performance of this 101k km bike. Its narrow at the pegs, love that.

If it has the radio/electronics on either side of the fairings its a Royale.

I didn't want all that old tech and up high weight anyway

Edited by Not That Guy

Yamaha stopped making the Standard in 88. I looked at a bunch of royals and standards when I was looking. I was in the same boat as you are, I knew almost nothing about these bikes. I ended up getting an 88 standard. In retrospect I am glad I got the Std instead of the royal. As mentioned the difference is in the CB (which I never desired to use anyhow) No CLASS system, I read constant posts about issues with the CLASS system, and it is no big deal to set the pressure using the Shrader valves, It just takes a few seconds longer with a small hand pump. Mine came with a Kenwood automotive Stereo installed in the left side of the fairing and some aftermarket speakers installed in the stock locations. It was quite adequate for my needs. Of course all of the "Royal" badging is not there. Of course there is a lot of possibilities to make changes to make it your own.

Check out this area for known issues and specific areas to look at to possibly help lower the purchase price. Many of these issues are easily fixed, but use them in your negotiations.

https://www.venturerider.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?86-Known-Problems-and-things-to-look-for

The 2nd gen gaskets will fit fine on the 1st gens. The second gen gaskets have a little more width to give you something to grab during installation. The extra width also makes them a bit less floppy so they are easier to get in position.

Looks like you got yourself lots of good info Caledon,, only thing is that we can't comment on the dealer you are going to because you haven't told us who that might be,, but that's ok.

Thanks for all the input so far everyone. I have had a quick look at it yesterday and it is an 86 Standard so no CLASS air, no radio/cassette, no CB, no cruise control, no mirror in the trunk. It looks like its in pretty good shape - the plastics are in good shape as are the windshield, seat, saddlebags and trunk. the front tire still has the little rubber hairs of a new tire on it, the front plastic emblem on the fender was hit and loose so it will need an adhesive to reattach it to the front. the oil sight glass was black and when vertical remained black - so needs oil change and inspection. I told the dealer I had a checklist from this forum and i took all the items to check on this forum I have found so far and sent them in an email to the dealer who will tell me what they will cover off in their inspection and if any would be outside that. the exhaust looks solid, there is some white oxidation on the sides of the engine on the chrome and or aluminum parts.

There is a dry orange coloured stain running down the valley of the cyclinder head on the kickstand side of the bike - could this be from rain/rust could this be a leak of some kind ?

A dry orange stain could be a gas leak, It may indicate carb issues, Carb issues are common IF the bike has not run in a long while. either way it does require further investigation.

Just cuz tires look new, check the date code on the tire, even a new looking tire can be old enough to need replacing, 7 years old should be replaced regardless of how good they look.

• 1 month later...
Depends on the year. I searched for and found a 1300 non Royale, 86 that I'm still overhauling/ refreshening.

I believe in its twighlight years there was only Royales.

Just make sure the plastics are not broken- especially the tabs on the front halves.

I was impressed with the performance of this 101k km bike. Its narrow at the pegs, love that.

If it has the radio/electronics on either side of the fairings its a Royale.

I didn't want all that old tech and up high weight anyway

I have a Standard and it did actually have a stock stereo complete with the lovely tape deck, in it. but the CB, cruise and self leveling system are just for the Royale

I have a Standard and it did actually have a stock stereo complete with the lovely tape deck, in it. but the CB, cruise and self leveling system are just for the Royale

These days we have cell phones, GPS and satellite radio so those type of things may have to find a home...

Hi @CALEDON will stand up very well to less than ideal riding conditions like getting onto some off road tracks (not that you want to make a habit of it). QUOTE]

Is that a reference to me wanting to ride Redbud up in Michigan when we stopped by there back in 2010 on our VR ride out of Potato Creek Int'l Rally? !!!

Hi CALEDON will stand up very well to less than ideal riding conditions like getting onto some off road tracks (not that you want to make a habit of it). QUOTE]

Is that a reference to me wanting to ride Redbud up in Michigan when we stopped by there back in 2010 on our VR ride out of Potato Creek Int'l Rally? !!!

Actually I was thinking more of the time when Trader and I took a shortcut according to Garmin from the hotel where the Galena event was being held to the campground we were staying at and ended up on a cow path through the bush with lots of roots, ruts and washouts, going through it, which dead ended at a railroad track and we had to turn around and backtrack about a mile through the same stuff back again. We literally were literally off roading It reminded me of my motocrossing days. But our ventures took it all in stride.
Edited by saddlebum