IGNORED

86 Royale won't crank

Hello Friends

I have been struggling with a carb overflow issue for a while, cleaned the carbs, sort of dealt with it. Now I have an issue trying to start the bike, the starter clicks and then spins freely. no dice, I removed all the spark plugs in case of a hydro lock still nothing, I opened up the crank case via the chromed yamaha logo plate and tried to spin the crank shaft, had to put a lot of effort and then it broke loose, spun twice, squirted a bunch of gas via one the spark plug roles and then got stuck again, broke it loose it turned it twice and stuck, broke loose and so on.. so is my bike a goner? I am a cancer patient so I have very little strength to keep breaking it loose, does anybody have an idea??

It isnt sounding good. Have you checked your oil to see if it is looking or smelling like there is gas in it. Also how did the plugs look when you pulled them out. The bike being hard to turn over by hand with the plugs out doesnt sound promising either.

I would let it sit with the plugs out for a day or so and then see if the starter will turn the motor over freely. If it does, I would then try a compression check on all the cylinders to see what the readings are on those. That will help to let you know what the shape of the motor is to a point.

If it wont turn over with the starter than there could be bigger issues but that would take more diagnostics to determine just what is the issue.

Let us know what you find out on the spinning of the motor.

Good luck

Rick F.

Seeing as you have the cover off, hit the starter and take a look to see if anything moves or tries to move under there. The starter is linked to the crankshaft by a series of gears from the front to the crankshaft, if these spin then your problem would most likely lie in the starter clutch which is under the stator,, the big round thing right in the middle of that area. Mostly, the clutch will give different indicators, but if it's busted big time, it might be the culprit holding up the rotation of the engine by hand. Also check to make sure the transmission is in neutral.

Hello Friends

I have been struggling with a carb overflow issue for a while, cleaned the carbs, sort of dealt with it. Now I have an issue trying to start the bike, the starter clicks and then spins freely. no dice, I removed all the spark plugs in case of a hydro lock still nothing, I opened up the crank case via the chromed yamaha logo plate and tried to spin the crank shaft, had to put a lot of effort and then it broke loose, spun twice, squirted a bunch of gas via one the spark plug roles and then got stuck again, broke it loose it turned it twice and stuck, broke loose and so on.. so is my bike a goner? I am a cancer patient so I have very little strength to keep breaking it loose, does anybody have an idea??

Sounds like the same problem I had on my truck ...I would suggest pull all the spark plugs and then crank the engine ,,,I the plugs are wet check to see if it gas or antifreeze ...I do know that antifreeze can create what is called a hydraulic stop and lock the engine . Head gasket ...

• 2 weeks later...
Hello Friends

Howdee and Good evening Surbivor. whats the status of your scoter?

have you checked the starter drive gears previously mentioned?

do Disconnect the fuel line and plug it. remove the power wire to the fuel pump.

get some marvel mystery oil into thos cylinders asap, as it sounds like you got what us old timer motor heads call a wash down. meaning the fuel has washed all the lubricating properties off the cylinder wall. if you dont oil them it can break some piston rings.

Let us know,,