IGNORED

cutting windshield down on '07 RSMV

Twenty7Delta

My bad - I just found Newman's post - sorry for the repeat....

I have an appointment on Thursday at a local plastics shop to get my shield cut down. I have to do it - I can't stand looking through it in the rain or when there are lots of bugs on the shield.

I am a little nervous about how far to cut it down - I have to go low enough to look over it so probably about 4 inches from the top. My fear is that may be too much and then I would be disappointed. I don't want to end up looking at the edge though, got to look over it.

I am curious if you've done this and how it went. How much did you cut off and how did it affect the air flow? Do you get more buffeting, how about your passenger? Do you regret cutting it. I read some of the threads about the Clearview's as a replacement and may go that way but not yet...

What about the shape? Did you end up with the same shape as stock or did you flatten the curve a bit?

I'd love to hear your stories - I found an article online about how to do it myself but power tools and I are a bad mix, usually resulting in a poor finished product and multiple sutures for me ;-)

Andrew

If you do decide to cut it down yourself , layout masking tape along and below the cut line. take the bike for a little ride before you actually cut it so you have a fair idea if this is were you want to make your cut. when your sure lay a couple more strips below the fisrt one to protect the plastic from scratches while cutting. once cut take a single cut mill file (rather then the common double cut bastard file which is too aggressive ) hold it with one hand on each end lay it across the edge and slide the file sideways back and forth along the cut edge until it is smooth. by changing the tilt of the file with each stroke you can create a rounded edge:080402gudl_prv:

OK, I cut my shield down when I had my 05. I cut it at the bottom so that the factory edge would still be at the top. lay masking tape (two layers) down on both side, then draw a line on the tape 4 '' or where ever you want it from the bottom, make your cut with a fine tooth jig saw blade, after you finish your cut move the piece up that you cut off and trace the hole location and redrill the holes. It simple as that! It takes only about 20 minutes

When I bought my 2006 RSV, I ordered a low boy windshield, which is about 9" tall. I rode with that for months and the buffeting on my head started to annoy me, especially on longer rides. I put my stock shield back on and cut it down, but I didn't spend enough time measuring or confirming the new height. So now it is too short also. The head buffeting is less, but I wish I had left it a few inches taller. I wanted to see over it just a little, but it turns out I can see over it too much. I traded my low boy shield with RebelKen's factory shield and now I have the opportunity to try again. Haven't found the time yet, but when I do, I will measure twice, cut once as the saying goes. I will probably place a thin piece of tape where I think it will be and ride with it for a week or so and make adjustments. Don't want the tape to obscure my vision, but give me a vision line to focus over.

When I cut my other shield, I used a Jig Saw after laying on wide tape to keep scratches away. Then I used a belt sander on the edge to smooth it out. Came out looking good...but dang...cut too low. Live and learn. Patience will assist me next time.