IGNORED

BackOff LED License Plate Frame Wiring

1999 RSV.

I just installed the single light BackOff License Plate Frame with single LED.

Real easy install.

Lights up the rear a little better, but still needs improvement.

The wiring is as follows:

Bike ----- Plate

Yellow----Red This is the Brake Light

Blue------White This is the Running Light

Black-----Black This is the Ground

These will not work on the saddlebags. i mounted the ultra led light bar under the trunk, no drill or even bolt install. I mounted the knight rider at the bottum of the license plate so it actually connects (w/ 3m tape) to the plate and the refelctor.

Check out http://www.customdynamics.com/index.htm , they have lots of good choices for led lights than many members use. They have several good choices for mounting on the saddlebags. They are reasonably priced, ship very quickly, and are a nice small company out if NC.

I will try to take some pics and post then in the next day or so.

These will not work on the saddlebags. i mounted the ultra led light bar under the trunk, no drill or even bolt install. I mounted the knight rider at the bottum of the license plate so it actually connects (w/ 3m tape) to the plate and the refelctor.

Check out http://www.customdynamics.com/index.htm , they have lots of good choices for led lights than many members use. They have several good choices for mounting on the saddlebags. They are reasonably priced, ship very quickly, and are a nice small company out if NC.

I will try to take some pics and post then in the next day or so.

Did you get the sequential or non-sequential Knight Rider. I think the Sequential would be a bit annoying but I have to admit, it would probably get noticed.

I'll be anxiously awaiting photos of this install!!

I got the sequential, sorry no photos yet, this week has been hell at work. I did a ride last weekend and a friend of mine told me that he now hates riding in front and behind me because of the knight rider light and my new headlight modulator.

He said it was annoying, but that it really gets attention. Since I have installed both of these items I have noticed a lot more cagers staring at my bike.

He said it was annoying, but that it really gets attention. Since I have installed both of these items I have noticed a lot more cagers staring at my bike.

Guess it would be worth getting the sequential then. Heck the rider never has to see it, right? :rotf:

Yes I do have a LED light board in the stock tailight with a clear cover. The install for the light bars was pretty easy. First I spliced into the lighting wires that come out of pigtail under the drivers seat and ran a tail, brake, and nuetral wire under the seats and trunk in some wire tubing.

Once I had the right wires at the back of the bike I wired the Ultra LED light bar first, real simple with 3 wire nuts. I mounted this light bar under the trunk between some notches in the trunk rack(the one that the trunks sits on). It takes a little wiggling and angling, but it fits right on in tightly. You will have to cut the rubber cover that covers part of the trunk rack and fit around the light bar. It sits in there so snug that I did not secure it with any thing. I wasn't sure it would stay, but I have put 3k miles on it since I put it on, and this thing does not budge.

Next I loosened the license plate and ran the wires for the knight rider above the reflector and between the license plate and the plate holder. I ran the wires behind the license plate and tied them into the prior wire nuts. Using the 3M tape on the back of the light bar I attached it to the top of the reflector and the bottom of the license plate. Once attached I pulled the slack out the wire from behind the plate and retightened the license plate. I tucked all th wires neatly up under the trunk and you cannot see any of the wires unless you put your head up under the trunk

I attached a couple of pics that should help you give you a visual.

• 2 weeks later...

nkbjones had a great idea and I believe that I have built off of it and made an easier and cleaner install. My opinion only.

I purchased both the 15" light bar and the approx. 5" long sequencial light bar . I mounted the sequencial light bar using the supplied 3m body side molding tape right on top of the existing reflector.There is approx. 1/2" excess light bar hanging off both sides of the reflector so I used a razor knife and removed the 3m tape in those area prior to making the permanant install. We have enough problems with things sticking to our bikes without having tape hanging out there to collect them. I drilled a small clearance hole in the center of the reflector to allow the three wires to cleaning pass through and not be seen when they go up into the wire housing behind the license plate.

Traced out my tail light, brake light and ground wire and noted the color code.

Started to mount the 15 " light bar under the trunk as nkbjones had done and noticed that the mounting holes in the light bar had the exact same spacing as the end holes in our luggage racks. These holes are covered by rubber boots and have a plastic push pin in the hole. Remove the push pin and you will see the holes line line perfectly. Only problem is the hight of the light bar will not allow a direct bolt up due to the location of the trunk relative to those holes. Solution: If you have access to a machine shop, make two 1 1/8" long by 1" diameter black nylon spacers with a clearance hole drilled through for a #10 screw. Or you can do as I did yesterday and visit your local Home Depot store and purchase in the hardware section 2 one inch black rubber stoppers. You need to drill the clearance hole in them which is quite easy. Use a pilot drill and drill half way through one end and flip it over and repeat the process. Then follow up with a larger size bit. You will need #10-24 by 1 1/2" with flat washer and lock washer as well. Same aisle as the black rubber stopper. Wire into harness behind plate and it looks like a factory install. Waited until dark to see how the looked. Wow! No way you will be not seen now. The small sequencial light bar also has the five flash back off mode as well. For about $50 you get a great deal of added visibility! Thanks for the idea nkbjones!

Bugsplat:detective:

Photos detailing what you did would be cool.

:photographing: :256:

nkbjones had a great idea and I believe that I have built off of it and made an easier and cleaner install. My opinion only.

I purchased both the 15" light bar and the approx. 5" long sequencial light bar . I mounted the sequencial light bar using the supplied 3m body side molding tape right on top of the existing reflector.There is approx. 1/2" excess light bar hanging off both sides of the reflector so I used a razor knife and removed the 3m tape in those area prior to making the permanant install. We have enough problems with things sticking to our bikes without having tape hanging out there to collect them. I drilled a small clearance hole in the center of the reflector to allow the three wires to cleaning pass through and not be seen when they go up into the wire housing behind the license plate.

Traced out my tail light, brake light and ground wire and noted the color code.

Started to mount the 15 " light bar under the trunk as nkbjones had done and noticed that the mounting holes in the light bar had the exact same spacing as the end holes in our luggage racks. These holes are covered by rubber boots and have a plastic push pin in the hole. Remove the push pin and you will see the holes line line perfectly. Only problem is the hight of the light bar will not allow a direct bolt up due to the location of the trunk relative to those holes. Solution: If you have access to a machine shop, make two 1 1/8" long by 1" diameter black nylon spacers with a clearance hole drilled through for a #10 screw. Or you can do as I did yesterday and visit your local Home Depot store and purchase in the hardware section 2 one inch black rubber stoppers. You need to drill the clearance hole in them which is quite easy. Use a pilot drill and drill half way through one end and flip it over and repeat the process. Then follow up with a larger size bit. You will need #10-24 by 1 1/2" with flat washer and lock washer as well. Same aisle as the black rubber stopper. Wire into harness behind plate and it looks like a factory install. Waited until dark to see how the looked. Wow! No way you will be not seen now. The small sequencial light bar also has the five flash back off mode as well. For about $50 you get a great deal of added visibility! Thanks for the idea nkbjones!

Bugsplat:detective: