IGNORED

Rear brake Master cylinder

New to the forum I have a 1983 Venture Royale with the linked rear brake and the rear master cylinder is frozen. I got the bike pretty cheap and have manged to get everything fixed and ready to ride but am having a huge problem finding this. Can anyone help? I am sure I will be spending more time here looking at other members bikes and reading the tech articles.

The rear master is not real bad to remove. see if you can get it out and if it will come apart so that you can clean it up or determine for sure that it needs to be replaced.

If it is actually frozen then there is likely water in the system and the left front and rear calipers and maybe even some of the brake lines might also be toast. It is only the right front caliper that is operated from the hand brake.

And if you are going to have everything apart anyhow it may be the perfect time to delink the brakes to make them work like every other bike. First time you need brakes on loose gravel you will be glad to have them delinked.

I have 4 parts bikes I am ready to get rid of, 2 are 83-85... post a picture of you exactly need and I will look at what is left on mine. We can also cross reference to see if any of the 86 and/or 87 parts I have will work. I think the master cylinders should be he same... I also have complete calipers

Bill

• 3 months later...
The rear master is not real bad to remove. see if you can get it out and if it will come apart so that you can clean it up or determine for sure that it needs to be replaced.

If it is actually frozen then there is likely water in the system and the left front and rear calipers and maybe even some of the brake lines might also be toast. It is only the right front caliper that is operated from the hand brake.

And if you are going to have everything apart anyhow it may be the perfect time to delink the brakes to make them work like every other bike. First time you need brakes on loose gravel you will be glad to have them delinked.

Ok you have me interested now my ‘86 Royale is doing the same thing. I bless the front left and the back but still soft pedal. What’s this delinking you talk of??

id appreciate any and all help with this, thank you 😊

Ok you have me interested now my ‘86 Royale is doing the same thing. I bless the front left and the back but still soft pedal. What’s this delinking you talk of??

id appreciate any and all help with this, thank you 😊

I won't comment on the delink, but will add that I bet you still have air in the manifold that links rear to front left brake. It is up under the fairing. You bleed it with the banjo bolt. It is the highest point in the rear brake system, and is notorious for storing air.

I won't comment on the delink, but will add that I bet you still have air in the manifold that links rear to front left brake. It is up under the fairing. You bleed it with the banjo bolt. It is the highest point in the rear brake system, and is notorious for storing air.

The '86 should have a bleed fitting on that manifold.

The '86 should have a bleed fitting on that manifold.

yes it does have a separate line to bleed thought it was for air at first but will continue to work on it to clear the air out thank you.

• 4 weeks later...
If you need it I pulled the whole unit off of one of the MKI's

Thanks for that I have an ‘83 as well 1200 ordered a tool for sucking the air out I’ll see if that’s the problem or stuck calliper pistons in the rear.