IGNORED

So I ordered 4 of those 12$ ebay carb rebuild kits

jfman

Diaghpragm wrong size completely

Jet block plug only 1 given when I need two and it on top of that it's was wrong size for either holes :D

the little oring for the diaphragm cover was the wrong size (too big)

The retaining clip on the float needle bottomed out on the edge of the seat before the needle itself bottomed out.

All I used from the kits are the decel diapraghms, the bowl gaskets and the jet block gaskets and the fit was not even that good. The jet block gasket felt thick and the bowl gasket did not fit 100%. . The rest is not needed or trash = not Worth it

I am posting this just in case you were considering using one of these kits.

If you had/have better luck than me let me know :)

Edited by jfman

Diaghpragm wrong size completely

Jet block plug only 1 given when I need two and it on top of that it's was wrong size for either holes :D

the little oring for the diaphragm cover was the wrong size (too big)

The retaining clip on the float needle bottomed out on the edge of the seat before the needle itself bottomed out.

All I used from the kits are the decel diapraghms, the bowl gaskets and the jet block gaskets and the fit was not even that good. The jet block gasket felt thick and the bowl gasket did not fit 100%. . The rest is not needed or trash = not Worth it

I am posting this just in case you were considering using one of these kits.

If you had/have better luck than me let me know :)

I've been bashing these Chinese kits as loudly and proudly as possible, your experience is quite common with the Chinese kits/parts. Countless folks have ordered an done their carbs with them only to have to pop the rack right back off and redo them with K&L (Japanese aftermarket of known good quality) or OEM Yamaha ($$$$$). I used K&L on both my Vmax and Venture and all is well.

I got my diaphragms out the UK, there is an Ebay seller that makes them there. The full set of 4 was a lick under $100 shipped and they got stateside here quite quickly. They are a touch heavier than the OEM so I recommend getting all four.

Generally speaking, NEVER EVER put Chinese aftermarket parts on your Japanese, Euro or American bike, car or truck, or household appliances. Dont buy anything form China that touches your food, or goes into/on your body, or will cause any distress when it fails to perform it's intended task.

A few things I've noticed, especially online/Ebay.

US Seller (guy here in USA selling stuff from China) Dont be fooled by the big proud American flag icon on the ad.

Unbranded (stuff from China)

Price we want to pay vs the fair going price for quality versions of essentially anything (more crap from China)

Made from global/international materials (Chinese pot metal or deteriorating rubbers and plastics that don't stand up to time or elements, like bowl gaskets)

Packaged in the USA (made in China)

Distributed by insert USA company here, but almost certainly (made in China)

Counterfeit items packaged and advertised to look like the authentic items are also a HUGE problem. If its on Alibaba, it's almost certainly Chinese junk.

The Counterfeit items are such a problem that it has been included in our trade deal negotiations with China. A quick internet search will usually get you information on how to spot specific counterfeit items. I've had my best luck using sellers that have long histories and at least 99.9%+ feedback, then I read the negative feedback to make sure nobody has received bogus items from said seller.

I generally find that things NOT made in China will boast MADE IN USA (or wherever) If you have to search for where something was made, probably China. Sorry you had to find out this way. Sellers and mfrs can be VERY deceptive on Chinese made items, we must always be on our toes and a little DuckDuckGo search can be a great source of information on how to spot quality vs Chinese items. Very sorry your going through this, is it up and running now?

Edited by CaseyJ955
  • Like 1

Now we know that China makes almost all of the drugs we take and lots of other stuff that we can only get from China now due to our trade policies. We don't require companies to say where the stuff comes from. Almost everything we buy now says "distributed by walmart or other businesses" Our trade policies and corporations have royally screwed the American public. Yeah, we can get cheap crap from China. But in the long run, is it worth it? I think not.

hmm, Sky did you know that Casey didn't appreciate "made in China"? First I hear of "cheap made in China" from Casey!

I've wasted so much time, money and endured untold frustrations. I wish I had known earlier. But yea, I may have mentioned it a time or two before :beer:

• 2 months later...
I'm new to these bikes and the forum but thanks for the warning on these kits. Been planning to change the diaphragm on my 86 gen1 but I guess I'll save a few more dollars and get the ones out of England!

Aric

I ordered a a few sets of diaphragms from JBM Industries on a number of occasions and have been very pleased with them. They are easy to deal with have a fast turn around time and will respond to any questions in a timely fashion. They are also a US company.

The part number for the diaphragm is BS34 http://jbmindustries.com/index.html

BTW the set I put in my own bike have been there for 5 or 6 years and still working perfectly.

they are slightly different than the OEM and you need to remove the white plastic rings from the sliders. Then carefully pry them over the lip like mounting a tire just do not overstretch them http://jbmindustries.com/Yamaha650.html

In case you miss it there is a special note near the bottom of the page of the second link referring to the Venture instalation

Yamaha Venture Notes: The 73 mm Mikuni Diaphragm fits the Venture models even with plastic slides.

Remove the short metal tube from the plastic slide if loose, and remove the rings. Place the JBM Industries diaphragm on the metal tube, and then push tube into the plastic slide. Use Super Glue on metal tube.

If metal insert tube is not loose, just cut the rings off plastic slide with side cutters as shown.

Here is a Video instruction as well.

Edited by saddlebum

Thanks for the link. Looks pretty straight forward.

I managed to repair mine with some permatex blue for now, see how it holds up. Just a bandaid fix to get the bike going as I rebuild it and order parts. Been working well enough I could balance the carbs and make adjustments to get her running g smoothly.